proper cleaning?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-03-2003, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 14 months old and i dont pull the foreskin back to "properly" clean it like my doctor says i should, is this wrong and will he get infections?

Off topic, but what does "crunchy" mean?
#2 of 7 Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 PM

I don't pull my ds's back either (he's almost 18 mos) and my ped doesn't say anything about it. Just leave it alone, I think. THere are many others on this board with way more knowledge than I, though.

Crunchy--to me it always meant a hippie-natural-environmentalist-type. In college we were called also tree-huggers or granola chicks.

namaste.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Banned

Your doc is wrong!! Do not pull back on, or retract, the foreskin. When your son retracts on his own, you can teach him to gently clean underneath with water. Docs are woefully ignorant about this. Don't let your doc retract his foreskin, either!
#4 of 7 Old 11-03-2003, 10:27 PM

My ped. said not to pull it back, he will on his own and my oldest started doing it on his own around 3 I think.
#5 of 7 Old 11-04-2003, 12:47 AM

You are absolutely right! No retracting ever. Our son is almost two and we have never had a prob. Just bouncing around in the tub is enough. Here are some great inks on care for you, maybe the one from the AAP could get passed along to that doc so he doesn't advise other parents to "properly" clean their sons and end up harming them.

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/
http://www.nocirc.org/articles/fleiss2.html

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#6 of 7 Old 11-04-2003, 01:55 PM

Frank's Highly Detailed Step-By-Step Manual For The Care And Maintenance Of The Infant/Child Foreskin

For the health and comfort of your son, you should carefully follow every step in this manual with out fail and without deviation. If necessary, print this manual out and tape in in an easily visible position near where you bathe your son. Once you have raised your son to the point that he can care for himself, it is highly desireable that he be taught the proper steps. When he is ready to retract, he will ignore all instructions anyway.

1. Wash the outside just like a finger.
2. Rinse
3. Dry
4. Never let anyone retract your son's foreskin for any reason. This includes medical professionals.
5. THE END!

Frank
#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 PM

Please copy the AAP statement from the pp and hand it to the doctor.

Just in case, here it is again:
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

Here is another link:
www.cirp.org/library/hygiene

I have a six yr. old grandson and we NEVER did anything to his penis except wash it on the outside like you would wash a toe or a finger. Ah, actually I don't think we washed it quite that way either, we simply let it float in the tub. :LOL
And he, of course, over time started retracting himself. By the time he was 5 yr. he fully retracted. As a matter of fact, it happened in the bath tub one night. Scared him, he called his mom to show her what had happened. She said, that now he is a big boy. Then he was so proud of himself, he wanted to show EVERYONE.

Anyway, we never did ANYTHING and he NEVER had any problems with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page