Please help- red foreskin with white discharge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday ds went swimming and did not have a bath afterward. We went camping last night, so he was dirty also, but I don't think his penis was dirty. Well, his hands were dirty and he touched his penis during diaper changes. He has been wearing a diaper more than usual the past two days as well. I have been doing a lot of naked time with him this summer.

I noticed that his foreskin was red at the tip last night and there was a little of what looked like smegma on the outside of his penis. This morning the foreskin looked more swollen and red and there was white discharge coming out. I gently pulled his foreskin back a bit and it easily moved back more than I've ever seen it go. I was really careful not to push it back more than I've seen him move it. Is it separating? Is this a yeast infection? Do I need to call the doctor? I feel guilty for not bathing him after the pool, but it seemed silly to bathe him before camping.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
Yesterday ds went swimming and did not have a bath afterward. We went camping last night, so he was dirty also, but I don't think his penis was dirty. Well, his hands were dirty and he touched his penis during diaper changes. He has been wearing a diaper more than usual the past two days as well. I have been doing a lot of naked time with him this summer.

I noticed that his foreskin was red at the tip last night and there was a little of what looked like smegma on the outside of his penis. This morning the foreskin looked more swollen and red and there was white discharge coming out. I gently pulled his foreskin back a bit and it easily moved back more than I've ever seen it go. I was really careful not to push it back more than I've seen him move it. Is it separating? Is this a yeast infection? Do I need to call the doctor? I feel guilty for not bathing him after the pool, but it seemed silly to bathe him before camping.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
This could be a couple of things. You have a number of cofounding factors here. It is possible that chlorine from the pool could case a bit of irritation but usually only if it is at high concentrations, or if you're particularly sensitive to it. I don't think not bathing would be a contributing factor. The other possibility is just classic separation. The pool and camping could just be a bit of a coincidence. Separation could include the red tip, soreness and/or puffyness you describe as well as the smegma too. There is a thread here which talks all about it I am going to bump it for you. A good way to handle this is to drop him in a warm bath, adding some baking soda seems to make this even better. It should resolve itself with in 48 hours or so. Please post again if you have more questions or need further clarification. Hope this helps.
#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 PM

The link to the thread jw is bumping http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

Ds got a bacterial infection after playing with his penis with dirty hands (totally my fault) and the Dr prescribed abx and OTC bacatracin if I had it to do over I would have skipped the abx and just went with the OTC cream. Within 12 hours ds was nearly better.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. It's hard to tell what is causing it, but it looks better already. His foreskin is still pink on the end, but it doesn't look swollen now. He's had one bath earlier today. I'll put baking soda in next time.

I checked out the other thread and I think his ped thought he had a preputial cyst. She didn't retract his foreskin, but felt a lump through it. Dh and I think it was just the shape of his glans she was feeling, but I suppose if it was a cyst, it could be causing the discharge. Who knows? At least I know we can give it 48 hours and hopefully it will be gone and we won't have to do anything.
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
Thanks for your replies. It's hard to tell what is causing it, but it looks better already. His foreskin is still pink on the end, but it doesn't look swollen now. He's had one bath earlier today. I'll put baking soda in next time.

I checked out the other thread and I think his ped thought he had a preputial cyst. She didn't retract his foreskin, but felt a lump through it. Dh and I think it was just the shape of his glans she was feeling, but I suppose if it was a cyst, it could be causing the discharge. Who knows? At least I know we can give it 48 hours and hopefully it will be gone and we won't have to do anything.
A bump or mass under the foreskin could be a cyst but it would more likely be a small collection of smegma. Sometimes when separation starts, the back frees itself before the front and and smegma can collect in that pocket. It will continue to collect until a 'path out' is found i.e. the front begins to separate at which point it begins to break up and will go away. In the interim there is no real concern WRT his health or anything so if that is what you're talking about don't worry.
#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Could be a cyst or a smegma pearl either way it isnt a problem and will resolve on its own over time.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm definitely going to leave it alone. It looks much better now.

I guess we may find out someday if he has a pearl or a cyst.

Thanks to both of you for your reassurance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page