Let's talk about unladylike things such as, er, sweat, for a second. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got very little quality time in bed last night, I can't nurse there (darn incision!) but when I woke up just now, my sheets were drenched in sweat. I have it practically rolling down my back sometimes, but I'm not too warm.

This is wierd because I never sweat.

Oh wait, don't tell me, it's hormonal?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#2 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM

It's the things they don't warn you about... yes. The having-to-pee-even-more-often in the first few days after birth really got to me, too. The good news is that you're losing a lot of water weight?

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#3 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Definitely hormonal...mine's getting better at 3 weeks pp. Before I was going through 3 pairs of pajamas per night due to drenching sweat.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hormones and diurisis what fun! On top of your body getting rid of all the extra fluid that it needed when you were cooking your sweet boy you were probably also pumped full of IV fluids. I think this is natures way of giving us a taste of hot flashes and night sweats. I recall hubby waking up wet and wondering what the hell was happening, between sweat, baby urine, the first new poops and breastmilk it was quite an experience!
Also if they havn't told you, sometimes with boys you can see salmon colored streaks in their diapers, your probably past this point now, but my first, a boy, also a whopper(10.3) had this and no one had told me about it, it's crystalised uric acid that they are clearing out of their urinary tract the first few days. Ahhhh, the science lessons are endless.
#5 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM

At almost 3 weeks PP, I'm still getting drenched. And it's not always at night. Yesterday after being out for a while I noticed that my jacket was soaked. It will go away eventually.

I've never had a c-section but did have tummy surgery in exactly the same spot and size as a c-section. I wore a panty girdle (soft cotton one with medium support) and slept in the recliner. Those 2 things helped a lot.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#6 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Hormones, hun...the good news is it is normal. The bad news is it can be a while before you stop feeling like a farm animal. It will be a month tomorrow since I had Pen and I am just starting to not feel like a soggy noodle at night, lol. And nurnur, yeah I wish someone did tell us about the uric acid thing,lol...when Em was born, and I was changing her diapers at first, I was SOOOO worried about the salmon streaks!! This time around I was just like "oh, that stuff" lol

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#7 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 PM

I sweated like a pig for months after having DS, especially at night. I would wake up with my head in a pool of sweat in the dent in my pillow, and actually got an ear infection from my ear being in that little nasty sweatpool all the time. Gee-ross! it evens out after a while though, and probably one of the good things about birthing in winter is that you won't get the double whammy of hormones and summer heat.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Still happening to me as well. I agree with Katielady- at least it is not summer (although I sweat like a pig all summer as well). Oh well- No matter what your baby loves you- even if you do stink and sweat all the time!:
#9 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 PM

me too, the other thing is when the sheets get wet, they get cold. and then their is the leaking milk.
#10 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Pretty sweaty here, too, although it is not consistent. Some nights I'm sweatier than others and I can't relate it to outside temperature or whether we've got the woodstove on. Just randomly hot.
#11 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

I had that for months in my pregnancy. It was nasty. It got to the point that I would sleep on a towel and change it several times a night...so gross. Now that I gave birth I'm freezing all the time.
#12 of 12 Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Sweaty here too. I'm leaking milk when we cosleep (I also get super engorged which is VERY bad for me given my experiences with K), so I wake up a wet mess when we all sleep together. Luckily, she's becming partial to sleeping in her cradle with a little pacifier inducement. Hey, it's better than having to stop BFing because of chronic plugged ducts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page