Confessions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was snooping around in other DDCs, and found a thread full of parenting confessions. I was cracking up, so I thought I'd bring it over to our DDC. What have you done that you feel the need to 'fess up to?

I have:

-Only bathed Matteo 3 times in his 7 weeks. He doesn't smell, so I haven't felt the need!
-Handed him off to DH in the middle of the night, claiming "he's been up for hours", when really I just don't want to deal with middle-of-the-night baby parties.
-Tried barterting with him to get to just PLEASE stay happy in the swing for 10 minutes?! It never works.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#2 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM

--The first few times I burped Felix, I had to remember to support his head lest it snap forward and hit my shoulderbone. He headbutted me more than once before I figured this out. :

--I use Photoshop to smooth out his peely newborn skin for pictures. People comment on how gorgeous his skin looks for a newborn baby.

--Our ILs got us a set of "Peepee Teepees" to put on his penis during diaper changes (so he doesn't firehose us, the ceiling, the walls...). I can't get them to stay on so I just throw a baby washcloth over his crotch and hold his legs crossed over that. Then I use his crossed ankles as a sort of handle to move his bum around as needed.

--My dog loves to lick his delicious little feet. This is because they are cute and soft, but also because they sometimes get into his poopy diaper when he's thrashing around during a change and I forget to wipe them off completely. : :

--I have told DH to change his diaper in the middle of the night even though I was pretty sure he could wait a few more hours before really needing a change. I did this because I resented DH for getting to sleep while I had to be awake to feed the baby. : : :

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM

*Last night I just couldn't resist anymore... and I picked at one of Brie's baby zits. It bled the tiniest bit

*Earlier this morning I heard her poop right after she fell asleep... I still did plan to change her diaper... but then I fell asleep, too.

*Sometimes when I ask DH "would you rather do dishes or hold Briella?", I REALLY hope he picks Briella because I sometimes go insane holding her so much!
#4 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot this one...

-I don't ever change Matteo in the night unless he's pooed (and he never does). I did for the first week or so, but then I figured- why wake both of us up even more? Thankfully we've had no rash issues.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#5 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi-mama View Post
Forgot this one...

-I don't ever change Matteo in the night unless he's pooed (and he never does). I did for the first week or so, but then I figured- why wake both of us up even more? Thankfully we've had no rash issues.
guilty. :

i fell back asleep during one of his alert periods. he seemed fine and i really couldn't hold my eyes open any longer.

dylan tried rooting on the dog's muzzle. while at the same time z was licking his face. they ended up frenching each other. ew!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#6 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 07:07 PM

When he projectile vomits (at least once every day), I leave him sitting in his nasty clothes until I've cleaned myself up. It feels selfish, though it makes more sense because I'd just get him covered in vomit again.

He's so strong that I forget I still need to support his head and he headbutts me sometimes, too

I put him in his swing early in the morning when DH and DS1 get up so I can get a couple more hours of sleep... alone! Without the constant grunting!

He's much chubbier than DS1 was and I find myself hoping his weight gain will slow down... that's what a lifetime of being told I was fat and having low self esteem and body images does... I really don't want to pass that on to my kids, but I've always been secretly thrilled DS1 is "skinny".

He had his first ever bath last night (with me in the big tub)... normally I just wipe him down.

This morning I started scraping off the cradle cap... my kids seem to get it in their eyebrows and between their eyebrows... so he's now sporting that red skin/just had my eyebrows waxed look

If he projectile vomits at night (we sleep on prefolds) and it gets the sheets, I just grab an extra pf to cover the wet patch so we can go back to sleep.

The cloth dipes made him start to peel in the folds of skin in his groin, so I used sposies for two weeks and I am tempted to go back to them at least for o/n.

I have moments where I resent him for all this extra laundry he's creating with the constant vomiting...

...and I feel incredibly guilty because DH is doing everything for DS1 and the poor kid barely knows who I am right now!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#7 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Love this thread! Let's see...

The worst is that she rode in her car seat without being buckled in. This makes me cringe in shame. We were at Costco and she was in the stroller / car seat, I removed the straps because she was being wiggly and when we were leaving I just plopped the car seat into the base and left.

Close second is when DH accidentally mixed up the gripe water and the cod liver oil. (To his credit they both are in the same cobalt blue glass bottles.) He handed her to me and she smelled like fish and immediately it was a joint "oh crap" moment. He called poison control, I freaked out, she was just fine.

I've called DH at work, knowing there was nothing he could do and that he'd feel bad, just to tell him that she'd been crying and fussy all day.

And... pretty much everything else that's been mentioned, as well. : But we haven't dropped her... yet!

Rebecca, mom to Annie (11/07/2008)
#8 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
When he projectile vomits (at least once every day), I leave him sitting in his nasty clothes until I've cleaned myself up. It feels selfish, though it makes more sense because I'd just get him covered in vomit again.

...and I feel incredibly guilty because DH is doing everything for DS1 and the poor kid barely knows who I am right now!
:

I have to add that Nora has only seen soap 3 times in her life as well! Hubby told me last night that I HAD to wash her hair before Mass today since she was greasy like a ferret.

Also, K was a reflux baby and I confess that I used bibs constantly after I got sick of doing 2 loads of laundry for 3 people a day. His vomit STUNK and had to be washed or rinsed out of clothes for the staining and smell, and it was just too much. So I bought a couple of 10 packs of bibs and changed them 8 times a day instead of his clothes!
#9 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
This morning I practically cried because when DD1 woke up she called out for DADDY and not me! I am supposed to be the one she calls out for
#10 of 36 Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 PM

I am cracking up over here!

*I only change diapers at night if I hear the telltale "squirt" sound and even then it is sometimes a delayed changing. My excuse is that sometimes she squirts again just five minutes after the first squirt. It would be a bummer to rush in on this diaper change only to have to do it again. Then I fall asleep.
*Two baths in three weeks and neither involved soap.
*I've let 2.5 year old dd1 "watch her" for more than a few minutes on several occasions. Even while she was in a bouncy chair on the dining room table.
*I told people she had an eye infection when they asked if they could hold her because I didn't want them to.
*Definitely using "we need to save the milk for the baby" as an excuse not to nurse dd1. I feel pretty guilty about that one, but my gut says it's time to wean my seemingly GIGANTIC toddler.
#11 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some of these seem normal to me, but some are definitely making me crack up. I'll post some when I think of them.
#12 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaWo View Post
The worst is that she rode in her car seat without being buckled in. This makes me cringe in shame. We were at Costco and she was in the stroller / car seat, I removed the straps because she was being wiggly and when we were leaving I just plopped the car seat into the base and left.
Holy crap i thought i was the only one who had ever done this. it was with ds1 and dh still doesnt know. its been about a year.....
#13 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM

OK, I love this one.

I also only change poopies at night. The wet ones wait.

I use the TV show "Calliou" to bribe DD2 into behaving sometimes (and the Nintendo to bribe DD1).

I hate walking DD1 to the school bus stop in the cold, so I'll often be conveniently in the middle of changing or nursing the baby at 8:15 so DH has to walk her.

I just don't tell our pediatrician we co-sleep because I know that's the one attachment parenting technique they aren't really thrilled about.
#14 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Oh. I forgot this really gross one. When DD2 was new, she spit up on the floor once and the dog got to it before we could clean it up. But she did such a good job that sometimes we'll call her when the baby spits up.
#15 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
Oh. I forgot this really gross one. When DD2 was new, she spit up on the floor once and the dog got to it before we could clean it up. But she did such a good job that sometimes we'll call her when the baby spits up.
We did this more times than I care to count with DS (and DD now, too) and now when our dog hears the "spit up sound", he rushes over to help with the cleanup.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#16 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:

If he projectile vomits at night (we sleep on prefolds) and it gets the sheets, I just grab an extra pf to cover the wet patch so we can go back to sleep.
: also guilty.
He also wet through his clothes, and changed him and grabbed a bath towel to throw over the wet spot. I did not tell DH (who sleeps through all this) when the towel shifted in the morning!
#17 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM

I used to be SO anti-pacifiers...until I tried driving with a newborn. Then I swore it would ONLY be for using in the car. Then I used it once when he was fussing from a diaper change at a store. Now there have been times I use it so I can take a shower, or spend some *quality time* w/ DH, or run downstairs to throw laundry in real quick, or...

Last night we went to bed really late and baby only woke up once and I decided we were both too tired for me to change his diaper. Besides, his dipe hadn't leaked. I woke up this morning and realized it had leaked and soaked his clothes...just couldn't feel through his fleece sleep sack. Stupid diapers keep leaking!!

I HATE seeing babies carried in their car seats, and even though sometimes it would be easier and make more sense than the sling ( and DH wants to), I still refuse to carry him in the seat because I don't want to be one of those mothers. I'm so embarassed to admit how judgemental I can be!

I have always loved taking baths...especially in the winter. DH is way more productive than me so if he sees me getting ready to take a bath and we both know there's a ton ofstuff that needs to be done around the house, I blame the baby, saying that he spitup a bunch and smells like puke ( which is often the truth, but I could just wipe him down with a wash cloth or baby wipe).

I take a bath with baby in water that the "duckie says" is too hot for babies. I always go slow, though and make sure his skin isnt getting red or he doesn't look uncomfortable. He seems to like it hotter.

o.k. i'll stop before someone calls cps on me

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#18 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
I HATE seeing babies carried in their car seats, and even though sometimes it would be easier and make more sense than the sling ( and DH wants to), I still refuse to carry him in the seat because I don't want to be one of those mothers. I'm so embarassed to admit how judgemental I can be!
I feel the exact same way, but yesterday I actually DID use the carseat/stroller combo. I had a million in-and-out errands to run, and the whole process- DS2 out of the carseat, into the wrap, DS1 out of the carseat, into the store for five minutes, unwrap DS2, fidget him into the carseat, deal with the "OMG YOU JUST PUT ME IN THE CARSEAT I HATE YOU!!11!" fuss, put DS1 into the carseat, drive ten minutes, repeat- was just exhausting! So I put DS2 in the stroller. I felt so ashamed, and then ridiculous for feeling ashamed. LOL.

#19 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So I put DS2 in the stroller. I felt so ashamed, and then ridiculous for feeling ashamed. LOL.
Lol! word, sister. I'll occasionally use the carseat instead of sling and feel like a bad mom for it.
#20 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Lol! word, sister. I'll occasionally use the carseat instead of sling and feel like a bad mom for it.
This is something I am really struggling with. I am having a hard time slinging the baby so far. I also have the sleeping bag thingy for the infant car seat so I only have him in his regular clothes in the car seat, not a snow suit. In order for me not to bring the car seat into a store I have to stand outside in the cold, take him out of the warm carseat and struggle with him into the sling. THEN get my toddler out of the car who is probably pissed to be sitting there for 10 minutes.

I think that I will bring the sling into the store and use the stroller/car seat combo to get into places. Anyplace that is more than a quick run in and run out I will try to get him in the sling. I feel guilty, but I don't know what else to do.

Having two is really proving logistically complicated for me. I NEED to get better at slinging, too.
#21 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

I'll bite:

*DD fed "her baby" an M&M this morning (Kiera is approximately 4 days old) which I promptly rescued from her mouth!

*Kiera sleeps in the dolly cradle my dad made me as a child

*Bath, what's that? She's clean she was born in the water!

*I haven't left the house yet

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#22 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 PM

I've thought of bringing the seat into the store, and then putting him in the sling, and just putting him back when it's time to go so I'm not fumbling w/ it in the car. However, DC#1 has a booster seat next to baby, so DC#1 has to get out first in order for me to get the baby seat out. We don't have a stroller so then I'd have to lug the car seat through parking lot (w/ dipe bag), find a place to put it in the cart (leaving minimal room left for groceries), then get baby out, put in sling, shop, put baby back, go to car, put baby in first, then DC#1, then groceries.

So I guess if I'm planning to take baby out it's better to just forget the seat. Even if I do plan to leave baby in the seat, I still have to get it out, lug it in, find a place for it in the cart, try and pile stuff around it, and then do that in reverse at the end. So it's probably just a fact that no matter how you do it, it's not easy dealing with a car seat and an infant, whether you take it or leave it (the seat, not the infant ). I am pretty handy with a ring sling, though, so I gues if it's going to be difficult one way or another, I may as well use a sling 'cause at least I can nurse in it, and not worry about my guilty conscience or where to put groceries

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#23 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Oh, this is great!

I too watch my husband snore quietly while I try to remove the tar that someone painted over my eyelids at 3 am. I wake him up just to hand me the wipes, then blame the wake on himself for putting the wipes on his side of the room.:

Lucien wakes up every two hours to eat an night and it takes about an hour to feed him and such. Sometimes I just feed him and lay him down softly, trying to avoid him waking up and having to feed him on the other side. This also bypasses burping, which really only punishes me! Since in about 30 minutes he's all fussy because he needs to burp and when I pick him up to do that, he's WIDE awake and hungry.

He is three weeks old and had 4 baths. He didn't have his first bath until he was 10 days old.

I am always nursing him at the time when someone needs to be up with our daughters getting lunches ready and such. I also need to stay in our bedroom to do this where we're nice and warm in bed, and calm in the somber light. The rest of the house is havoc.

I had a glass of wine with dinner the other day, not because I wanted the wine but because I was hoping it would make him sleepy. : It didn't work. Now I'm considering shots of tequila..

I need sling lessons too. I used a snuggly with the others, but I didn't like it because it was so formed. But I'm not very good with the sling and Lucien LOVES it. There just has to be more comfortable ways to wear it!
#24 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
OMG! I laughed until tears were streaming down my face!!! Thanks for that!
Quote:
I used to be SO anti-pacifiers...until I tried driving with a newborn. Then I swore it would ONLY be for using in the car. Then I used it once when he was fussing from a diaper change at a store. Now there have been times I use it so I can take a shower, or spend some *quality time* w/ DH, or run downstairs to throw laundry in real quick, or...

Last night we went to bed really late and baby only woke up once and I decided we were both too tired for me to change his diaper. Besides, his dipe hadn't leaked. I woke up this morning and realized it had leaked and soaked his clothes...just couldn't feel through his fleece sleep sack. Stupid diapers keep leaking!!

I totally leave Spencer in the carseat if he's sleeping! It's like 20 degrees and the last thing I want to do is wake him up and bring him outside of the car just so I could sling him and get him all upset for waking him up so rudely. SO yes I used to be one of those judgemental mamas, until I had my second child!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#25 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post
OMG!I totally leave Spencer in the carseat if he's sleeping! It's like 20 degrees and the last thing I want to do is wake him up and bring him outside of the car just so I could sling him and get him all upset for waking him up so rudely. SO yes I used to be one of those judgemental mamas, until I had my second child!
This IS my second child it is really cold here, too, but I guess I've felt like he's warmer in the sling...I guess unless I covered his whole face, etc., with a blanket in the seat.

#26 of 36 Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
This IS my second child it is really cold here, too, but I guess I've felt like he's warmer in the sling...I guess unless I covered his whole face, etc., with a blanket in the seat.
Didn't mean to come off snarky, I was nakking and trying to use as few of words as possible Hey different strokes for different folks....we all do what works best for our families, and no one is doing it better than anyone else, just whats right for them.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#27 of 36 Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 AM

Oh, I didn't take your message in a bad way at all I've come a long way from when I was pregnant with my first child as far as not being judgemental towards other moms. It's definitely one of those, "if you're pointing one finger at someone, you've got three pointing back at yourself!" It's just so silly that I would judge myself for carrying baby in the car seat if it were, in fact, more comfy for him, sorry if this doesn't make sense... nak!

#28 of 36 Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM

ok,

It's been 3 weeks and Bug has had only one "bath".... at the hospital She smells so good still!

that "greasy like a ferret" comment cracked me up so bad!

If Bug spits up after feeding in the middle of the night, I'll just put a burp rag under her cheek and go back to sleep...

Sometimes when Bug grunts at night to wake up and feed, I'll just set my hand on her and pat her back to sleep so I can get a few more minutes or so of sleep myself.

I also feel guilty for carrying the carseat into stores and on errands. I'd prefer to wear her, but my gut isn't ready to have the mei tai tied around my waist yet.

I sometimes play with Bug's reflexes. The step reflex is just so cute!! and I love watching her toes curl and uncurl.... so cuuuuuttteee!!!!!

When DD2 was a few months old (could sit up) I was carrying her on my hip while walking backwards febreezing the house. I walked into a child-gate and fell backwards like a tree. I was able to hang onto DD until just before hitting the ground when my reflexes took over and I threw my arms back to catch myself. DD bounced twice and SCREAMED! I called my mom in tears, and STILL feel guilty for my stupid reflexes beating my protective-mom insinct :

When DD2 was potty training she left a "pile" on the carpet and I went to get paper towels and when I got back, the dog had already "cleaned" it up! I nearly :Puke that's just so gross!
#29 of 36 Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 PM

I'm supposed to bathe my baby?
#30 of 36 Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page