Charlotte Jayne is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I was due November 29th. I always go over my due date and I fully expected to this time. I was, however, extremely surprised to still be pregnant at 41 weeks. Hayden was my latest baby at 6 days overdue. My kids were actually 2, 4, and 6 days late, respectively, so I thought "hey maybe she's coming 8 days late". Nope. lol That day came and went.

On Monday 12/8 I woke up with a bit of a crampy backache. I thought it MIGHT mean something but I didn't get my hopes up. I took the kids to school and then came home to get ready for my 41 week prenatal. I was also scheduled for a non-stress test after the prenatal. I dropped Hayden off with my sister (didn't feel like dealing with him during the NST lol) and headed off to my appointment. By this time I was having some contractions about 7-8 minutes apart. My appointment was an hour away and I was secretly hoping that I would get there and find out I was 5-6 cms dilated. I contracted the whole way there but things kinda stopped once I got to the office, so I figured it wasn't time just yet. I had lost a couple of pounds and the nurse mentioned that could be a good sign. I was 4 cms dilated, 40-50% effaced and the baby was still high at -3 station. My midwife and I started talking induction. I told her I wasn't comfortable going over 42 weeks, really so we actually scheduled an induction for Friday evening at 6 pm. She said if the baby was low enough, she would feel comfortable just breaking my water, but if she was still high she would prefer starting with pitocin. She told me she REALLY didn't think I was going to make it that far. We also scheduled another NST for Thursday (today! lol).

I left the prenatal and headed over to the L&D floor for my NST. After being hooked up, I started contracting again and some of the contractions were pretty uncomfortable (especially in the stupid chair). My other midwife came in and asked if I wanted to walk for a bit and then have her check me again since I was contracting about every 3 minutes and I said sure. She was uncomfortable sending me home in early labor since I live an hour away and this is my 4th baby. I called Adam and told him to just come to the hospital after work because it was possible I would be staying. I called my mom and made arrangements for her to get the kids.

After an hour I was about 5 cms (and Adam had arrived) and so he and I decided that I was going to stay. I didn't want to make the hour drive home just to come back again and be REALLY uncomfortable in the car.

At this point it was around 4:30 and we were sent over to our room. I made sure there was a water birth room before I agreed to be admitted. I also made sure I could have some food, because I was stupid and left the house without eating breakfast that morning. We got to our room and I changed into the stupid gown. I had planned on wearing my own clothes but I also hadn't put my bag in the car (or the car seat) so I had NOTHING. We ordered our food from room service and they told us it would take about 45 minutes (we got it 2 HOURS later, the hospital is trying this new system, it's not working!) so I decided to take a shower because I was starting to get more uncomfortable.

My midwife said we could break my water, but she thought we should wait a bit because she didn't really want to augment things if she didn't have to. I finally got to eat and had to stop several times while I was eating to breathe through contractions. I took another shower (or two, who knows lol) and by about 7:30 I decided I wanted the tub filled up. We got it filled and I got in. The jets were nice and the tub was deep enough that I could float and that REALLY helped with the contractions. I wanted to be checked again and my midwife tried in the tub but it wasn't working so I got out. I was 6 cms, 70% effaced and baby was -1 station so she said she felt comfortable breaking my water if I wanted. I did, I was ready to get it over with. lol After that, I decided on another shower. I took a very short one and decided on the tub again. By 9 pm I was really uncomfortable and was feeling some pressure. They started setting things up in the room and I started feeling like I really wanted the drugs. Ha ha, I even told myself I must be in transition. I have no idea when I started pushing, I guess I should ask Adam.

Anyway I pushed a few little grunty pushes and my midwife checked me and said I had a little lip that she was going to try to push out of the way. Well, that SUCKED. I yelled at her "get out! get out! get out!" and she said "Ok, I think it will be ok to push through it". lol I said I felt like the baby was RIGHT THERE and she said "That's because she is!" So the next contraction but the unbearable urge to push and a couple of pushes and her head was out (and I said "shit!" lol). I told my midwife to get her out. lol She told me to give a big push for her shoulders and I did and then another and she was here! And I said "THANK GOD!"

Adam helped catch her and put her on my chest. I made sure she was indeed a girl and we just hung out in the tub for a couple of minutes. Her cord was pretty short so we cut it and they took her so I could get out of the tub. My midwife wanted me to get out for the placenta but as soon as I moved, it came out. Oops. lol So she fished it out and they helped me out of the tub.

I got to the bed and we found I had no tears and they did that annoying mashing on my uterus thing. Blah. lol

So, she was 8 lbs 3 oz and 21 inches long. We didn't decide on her name until the next day.

I am very happy with my experience at this hospital. It was as nice as being at home because, well, it wasn't home but they were very respectful of my birth plan. Our only speed bump was that I wanted to go home the next day, and had been talking with my midwife about that for months. She agreed to release me the next evening. The next day, we told the pediatrician and she threw a fit. She said she wouldn't release the baby for AT LEAST 24 hours after birth. I asked her if she really wanted me to go home at 10 pm and she said yes. Ha. I told her we were leaving at 5 pm and she wouldn't release the baby. I told her that was fine, I would sign a waiver. So we actually signed her out AMA.

Anyway, that's the whole story! I really feel happy about the size of our family and though I'm sure it will be bittersweet when Adam actually has his vasectomy I feel like our family is complete.

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Congrats, mama! What a great birth story, thank you for sharing :

Enjoy your babymoon
#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Congratulations! :

Rebecca, mom to Annie (11/07/2008)
#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 AM

Great story! Welcome Charlotte!
#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Congrats!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#6 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM

:
#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Congratulations!!!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#8 of 8 Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM

yay! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your birth story...so exciting how everything worked out, and you didn't end up needing the induction.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page