how long did it take you to heal? ("skids" and tears) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering how long i can expect to be feeling like an open wound? i had a "skid mark" and a small tear (no stitches).

so what was everyone else's healing time, if any? im feeling better, but getting impatient. (my baby is only 5.5 days old)

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM

I had a skid mark and I think it healed in about 8 days. It felt better everyday of course.
I found witchhazel and water on a pad that was then placed in the freezer felt awesome!!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#3 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 03:11 PM

I really dont want to sound like im bragging. With DS#1, they cut me, and it took forever for me to heal. I was limping and sitting on pillows for weeks. This time around, (I think because DS#2s head was ALOT smaller) I didnt tear at all. Plus the doctor I had this time was a much more go with the flow, let things happen the way God intended kind of doctor. She didnt even bat an eyelash when I said no Hep B shot. I hemoraged alot after DS#2, but didnt feel the least bit worn out. I even took a shower about an hour after he was born.The nurse said she thought it was some kind of record. I agree with the witch hazel thoery. I used it constantly after using the bathroom with DS#1, and it was a life saver. Hope yours heals soon!
#4 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I had skid marks and quite a bad tear. The skid marks felt better after a week or two, I am still feeling achey (but not OWWWW) after 4.5 weeks with the tear. Booo!
#5 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the perspective mamas. i guess i am expecting (or wanting to be more accurate) too much. i have been putting salt in my peri bottle and that feels better than water alone. might have to give the witch hazel a try too.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#6 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM

I had a couple little places like that and by about 8 or 9 days they had stopped stinging. at 2.5 weeks, they don't feel normal, but don't particularly hurt anymore, and peeing is no longer a process!

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

#7 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM

With DD, they cut me (medically necessary) and it took 2 weeks for the cut to heal plus over 3 weeks after that before we were able to break the scar tissue down enough for sitting, large movements, and (ahem) more fun activities to not be painful.

With DS, I tore. It was enough of a tear that it needed to be stitched. That took about a week and a half to heal, but I was up and moving fairly regularly within a week. There was very little scar tissue to break down and I was feeling pretty darn normal within 2 weeks from the birth. In comparison to the episiotomy, it was a night and day difference.

I don't know if this is something you'd be willing to try, but my midwife suggested running a capful of hydrogen peroxide down external part of the wound one or two times a day, then rinsing off with water, and letting it air dry. It seemed to help me greatly.
#8 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
bax

I was going to ask a similar question! Last birth, I had an episiotomy and I don't remember it taking more than a couple weeks to feel a lot better. This time, I tore where my previous incision was, and it's been 3 1/2 weeks and part of the tear is still an open, bleeding wound. I feel like I'm pulling open when I go up and down steps or carry my toddler (both of which I try to do only when absolutely necessary). The midwife put sodium nitrate on it last week to help it reknit, but it hasn't yet. It's really hard to begin to resume "normal life" like this and I'm feeling down about it. (Especially because I thought tears were supposed to heal better and faster than cuts...)

Anyway, at 5 1/2 days I wouldn't worry!

Good luck all--

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#9 of 10 Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Helen, are you doing postpartum herbal baths? I had a small tear and never noticed it, but I did the baths right away and for about 5-7 days. I've also used the EMAB Bottom Spray, but I think the baths were the secret. C4CB in A2 has premade herbal tea bags for sale, but I used both loose herbs and EMAB postpartum herbal baths. Christina at Footprints baby is local (Flushing) and I think she has both EMAB products.
#10 of 10 Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM

I had an episiotomy with dd1 and it was painful for months (over 5 months). I think the actual "healing" took a month. It was still "somewhat sore" for over a year and I lost feeling as well.

This time I had a fairly large tear but I let it heal naturally and it hasn't even been 2 weeks and I feel fantastic. I never applied anything to it, just kept it clean and tried to lay low and keep my knees together. I am just stunned at the difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page