Did you eat your placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Where is it? How is it? Or should I ask, how was it?

Anyone got their placenta in the freezer, like moi?

The thought of consuming my placenta make me gag. Ugh. So DH actually conned me! He started making these delicious fresh fruit smoothies and chocolate protein smoothies. And he secretly put placenta in them! He actually experimented on me by doing some w/ placenta and some w/o.

LMAO! He just told me this yesterday. But apparently it worked. I felt fantastic after those smoothies. I never could figure it out and now it makes so much sense.

Fortunately, DH knew I wanted to try this idea out and just gagged out at the last moment or else he would be like this

I'm hoping to thaw mine out and chop it into cubes then refreeze so I can use it all up. DH was just pounding at a frozen block of placenta w/ a knife. He broke the tips of all our steak knives. (Questioning the broken knives is how I found this all out LOL)

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM

I really considered it, but decided that I would wait and see how I felt post-birth.

And, after the birth, I just wasn't interested. It wasn't revulsion or anything, just... a sense that it wasn't needed or necessary at this time. So, I didn't. I sort of regret it just because I'd like to know what placenta tastes like (yes, I'm weird!) but that's really the only reason.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire View Post
I really considered it, but decided that I would wait and see how I felt post-birth.

And, after the birth, I just wasn't interested. It wasn't revulsion or anything, just... a sense that it wasn't needed or necessary at this time. So, I didn't. I sort of regret it just because I'd like to know what placenta tastes like (yes, I'm weird!) but that's really the only reason.
I didn't taste anything weird in the smoothies. And I'm too chicken to try it alone.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 AM

I prepared mine a few days after the birth in smoothies and then poured them in 21 Dixie Cups and froze them. I thaw a new one every day and drink it in the morning. I am still drinking one a day and I feel fantastic and do not taste anything weird or gross.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 PM

I had some in a smoothie right after birth, then encapsulated the rest. I've still got a few pills left.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl1678 View Post
I prepared mine a few days after the birth in smoothies and then poured them in 21 Dixie Cups and froze them. I thaw a new one every day and drink it in the morning. I am still drinking one a day and I feel fantastic and do not taste anything weird or gross.
Oh! That's a great idea! I think I will thaw, mix and freeze all in one then.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 12-26-2008, 02:07 AM

I had mine encapsulated! It helped TREMENDOUSLY!! I took my last few today, I wish I could put an ISO out for a placenta

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

Old 12-27-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi-mama View Post
I had some in a smoothie right after birth, then encapsulated the rest. I've still got a few pills left.
Same here except I haven't ground it up yet. It's still in a jar dried up and waiting.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:45 PM

i made a smoothie and froze the rest. i really like the idea of freezing in single serving sizes. the one i made was "ok". i don't particularly like smoothies, and i did gag on it a few times. but i felt great after! i planned on encapsulating it, but my mw apprentice said she used to do that for people and it really smells bad. i don't know if i'll ever be up for the task...

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 12-27-2008, 03:35 PM

DH made me a smoothie and encapsulated the rest with the help of my birth doula. The pills were amazing and I was very sad when I ran out. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-28-2008, 05:34 PM

i still have mine in the freezer, untouched.
i kind of want to try to make a smoothie, but i'm so chicken!
i haven't had a hint of post-baby blues though, so i don't really think i need to.
i just don't really know what to do with it now.
i really wanted to eat it when i was pregnant, but as soon as it came out and i looked at it i was just like....no way. haha.
we might plant a tree with it when we get settled in somewhere.

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM

I had mine encapsulated and took a lot after birth. I still have some left and will use them up at some point soon.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM

After dd had her second child, dh and I took her placenta, boiled it, then let it dry out. It dries out very quickly. We then put it into a blender and made it to powder. We put the powder into capsules. DD took it all.

When dd had asked us to do that for her I was sort of wondering whether I could or not. Dh said he would. But once we started, I actually became fond of the job. I was glad to be able to do it.

The reason for it was not for pp depression but for health. She did say that she got her energy back much quicker after the second delivery than after the first and contributes that to the placenta capsules and the fact that dad and I were her doula for 2 weeks.

Anyway... I also took a few capsules, but of course there is no taste.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM

DH encapsulated mine about 4 days after birth. I took some regularly for about a week, and then forgot. However, I take them when I have a migraine and it's AMAZING how well it works! Nothing has ever worked as well as my "placenta pills" that wasn't a prescription drug! I'm just dreading the day (soon!) when I run out! Guess I need to get started on another baby

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)

User Tag List