When naps are no longer cool... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Daddy had quite a bit of last week off of work. And he held Charlie every spare minute. For every single nap and rest session, Daddy held Charlie.

Now what do I do? The baby won't sleep unless I hold him. And we've got to have dinner, and he's got to have babas.

I'm not sure if there's a smilie for pulling my hair out, but thats how I feel right now!!! And I'm dreading the fact that Daddy has another 5 days off in just a couple days....as soon as we start getting routines back, they'll get shuffled again.

Any suggestions?

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#2 of 6 Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM

First choice, a sling or carrier. My babe won't sleep unless she's swaddled or held and since I want her to sleep her longest periods at night, I don't swaddle during the day (unless she's inconsolable) so it's the carrier. Dishes, laundry, clean up, bathroom, EVERYTHING, wearing the bug until she's rested enough to be in a good mood again. If she's not in the mood to nap in the carrier, it's the swing.

At night, same problem. So I swaddle her and she stays asleep longer when I put her down (though it's not 100% it works most of the time). Last night was a "bad" night. She slept from 12am to 6am, then from 8-9am, then from 9:30am to 11:30am. Usually she only wakes up once for about 15-30 min inbetween 5-6hr stretches. thanks to swaddling
#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 AM

K was like that and I wore him constantly. It probably contributed to my oversupply issues, as I can't spend too much time with baby on my breasts or under them without getting engorged (I now have a bunch of carriers to switch positions). We also use the swing for naps if she dozes off while chillin'.

When Daddy is home, tell him he can hold him for 1 nap or 20 minutes of each, but he has to make the transfer to the cradle himself, without help, LOL!
#4 of 6 Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioko View Post
Last night was a "bad" night. She slept from 12am to 6am, then from 8-9am, then from 9:30am to 11:30am. Usually she only wakes up once for about 15-30 min inbetween 5-6hr stretches. thanks to swaddling
can dylan come over and do a sleep internship with your little one? he's got a lot to learn.

coyotemist - i'm in the same boat. dh has had the last couple of weeks off and doesn't go back until next week. he's better about laying him down when dylan's napping though. he "swaddles" dylan and gives him the binky. unfortunately dylan won't accept this from me yet. so i wear him. we also caved on the bassinet issue and he just naps there. cosleeping in a lofted bed makes me nervous, but since he's between us or me and the wall or it's safe enough until he's mobile. and we all sleep A LOT better.

i second teff. you wear when you can and he puts charlie down. and i saw his pic in the other thread. supercutie!! i can't imagine such a beautiful little boy giving you any trouble

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#5 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

OK, confession here, sometimes I get tired of wearing him...My neck starts to ache, and my arm becomes a pillow.

I got a ring-sling for Christmas, and that thing is so convenient. But the wrap is more comfortable. Icant wait until i can put him on my back. I really want a babyhawk or ergo. Its on the want list, hee hee.

Ok, no napping on daddy. And I think we are switching to a more broken down formula, he's been really gassy and so fussy.

Sioko, I think you could patent and sell your sleep philosophy. None of my kids have ever been that good of sleepers. They don't sleep through the night until 2 or 3. on a good night i get 3 hours.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#6 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 02:11 AM

I can't take full credit for swaddling. It's an age-old custom, and unfortunately a lost art. I learned ALOT from Dr.Karp's book "The Happiest Baby on the Block".
Thank you Dr.Karp! :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page