Charlie Latched on!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: :

Tonight he was licking my chest (v-neck t-shirt) then threw himself over by my breast and was licking my shirt. So I thought, ok, if you want to try go for it.

After a little bit of initial confusion, he latched right on!!! No nipple shield, no squirter full of milk to tease him, no SNS. He spent about an hour down there, and now my nipples hurt. The happiest I've ever been about sore nipples. Hee hee

His latch isn't always perfect, and we may have to head back to the lactation consultant to get it right. In the meantime we'll be practicing! And today we just made the appointment with the feeding clinic...

At the end, he had a baba anyway with an ounce and a half of EBM to top him off. I heard a lot of swallows some of the time, so whether or not he really needed the baba I don't know, but he wanted it.

It's still such a victory for my 2 month old 35 weeker. I couldn't stop crying and telling him how proud I am of him. Eventually I had to give him to Daddy because he's trying to make up for lost time down there. It's amazing!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#2 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM

yea! Charlie!
#3 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 AM

What an elated feeling. Congrats Charlie!::
#4 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 AM

That is fabulous news!!::::

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#5 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
YAAAAY CHARLIE BOY!!! :
#6 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM

oh my gosh, congratulations!!!

i sat down to pump and surf online and your post just gave me a huge milk letdown.
i found that stuff that touches my heart like that triggers my milk. so thanks for posting!

i'm so happy for you guys ::

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#7 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Grats mama!:

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#8 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 PM

HUGE HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!

Just a tip: Kyla(DD1) did not latch until 10 weeks, and when she did she would play around for a long time and then want a bottle. It was like she knew that she had some "easy" milk coming when she was done. After a couple weeks(and when she had gained enough that losing a little would not hurt her), I set aside a week to go cold turkey and get rid of the bottle. I borrowed a scale from lactation to make sure she was eating, and just made her nurse all day. The first couple days she got about half of what she needed, but kicked in and picked up pretty quickly once she realized that the bottle was not coming. I made sure to pump off the extra to protect my milk supply, and ended up having to do that for a while b/c I had boosted my supply bigtime with the pump. Once again, CONGRATS!!!!!!

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

#9 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeonend View Post

Just a tip: Kyla(DD1) did not latch until 10 weeks, and when she did she would play around for a long time and then want a bottle. It was like she knew that she had some "easy" milk coming when she was done. After a couple weeks(and when she had gained enough that losing a little would not hurt her), I set aside a week to go cold turkey and get rid of the bottle. I borrowed a scale from lactation to make sure she was eating, and just made her nurse all day. The first couple days she got about half of what she needed, but kicked in and picked up pretty quickly once she realized that the bottle was not coming. I made sure to pump off the extra to protect my milk supply, and ended up having to do that for a while b/c I had boosted my supply bigtime with the pump. Once again, CONGRATS!!!!!!
Thank you all for the congrats!

He hasn't latched agian since last night. He gets all upset and angry, his tongue pushes my nipple out of his mouth and he doesn't always open his mouth wide enough. But we have something to start with.

i think he's 9 weeks old this week? What you did seems like an option, except that I go back to school next week so he'll have to have a bottle sometimes.

Just another stop along this journey, I suppose.

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#10 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 PM

::: cause for celebration, for sure!!!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#11 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 PM

: Way to go!

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#12 of 18 Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Thats awesome! Way to go Charlie!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

We had some more comfort nursing last night! Yay for anything! And sometimes I have to put on the nipple shield, but he's there and willing! I'm so proud of him!

#14 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM

WOOO HOOOO!! YAY!

Go Charlie Go!

and a very big GO MOMMA GO!
#15 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM

There and willing is so exciting! I'm so happy for you mama!
#16 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Yay!! What fantastic news!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#17 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Thats awesome!!! My ds1 was 35 weeks and didn't latch until 4 mos old, so if he's trying, you can definitely do it! Mine didn't even take a bottle his latch was so bad- i did fingerfeeding for 4 mos, so I understand the elation you must be feeling. Congrats to you both!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#18 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 AM

YAY!!! That is FANTASTIC!!! :

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page