Who goes back to work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I go back tuesday and am looking foward to it, but also dreading it. I was going to do dry runs of getting up at 4 and atleast getting myself ready to see how the kids would fair. But Charlie ended up with a nasty inner ear infection that had him with fevers and throwing up all week! Not to mention my now 13 lb chow hound has me up every 2 hours most nights. I start them back at daycare monday, so will actually practise getting them there by 6 just to see how I fair. my hours when i go back are 7-330, and I work 20 mins from home. 45 sometimes if the weather is nasty, so I need to drop them off ASAP so I can be sure to get out RIGHT at 330. And we keep getting snow snow snow! So lugging them both into the car should be fun, since the minute Charlie is outside, he wants to play in it, and has a FIT if he cant and makes my life miserable as I am trying to get him in the car.
#2 of 10 Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM

School starts on Monday. I'm not worried about Monday, hubster has Charlie on Mondays and I'm only in class for 3 hours. However, Thursdays and Fridays are 12 hour intern shifts. 6:30 am to 7pm. I'm not looking forward to that! I just keep telling myself 1 more year and I'll get paid to do this!

I'm taking the Pump In Style (I think, but the Lactina is more comfortable) and there is an employee pumping room at the hospital.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#3 of 10 Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 PM

I work from home in a satellite office for an east coast company. I have actually not really stopped working, but just been working fewer hours. I was working with dd on my lap sleeping and nursing and it hasn't been a big deal, but she's starting to stay awake more and it's getting harder. I start back in official capacity on Monday (in other words people are going to start counting on me being available) at 5 hours a day. I have 16 weeks of unpaid leave I'm going to slowly use over the next several months. I work 7:30-11:30 a.m. and then 7-8 p.m. each day. Dh is going to be working 1-5 when I'll be with the kiddos. Dh has hardly spent more than 20 minutes at a time with dd2, but he's been the primary care giver for dd1. I'm not sure how we're going to work the kids on my shift. It's getting so much harder to get good work done with dd2 there.
#4 of 10 Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 AM

I am not going back to work, but on Monday I start homeschooling dd again. Wednesday ds goes back to preschool, and on the next Monday I start back to school. I am only taking two classes (may drop one, depending on how things go this week). I am trying to get to bed early and get up early. Not easy!

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#5 of 10 Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
School starts on Monday. I'm not worried about Monday, hubster has Charlie on Mondays and I'm only in class for 3 hours. However, Thursdays and Fridays are 12 hour intern shifts. 6:30 am to 7pm. I'm not looking forward to that!
that's got to be rough!

i have to go back mid-February. hopefully not sooner. i need to sit down with my boss to discuss it sometime this week or next. i'm contract, so there is a possibility he likes my replacement or their availability better. in that case, i won't have a job to return to and will just have to watch other children out of my home or something. i just can't leave dylan full time.

we interviewed nannies this past week. we found a nursing student we really like who dylan loved (slept in her arms the whole interview!). plus she loves our dog, which is a bonus b/c zocha is a st. bernard. people are very, um, hesitant around her. we don't want someone to be uncomfortable and unknowingly teach that to dylan. now we just have to call references and do a background check. i hope it works out. we aren't offering a bunch of money compared to other nyc families, just a lot of flexibility and lack of b.s.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#6 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Barbie, hope your first day back goes well. I can't believe what shambles things were in when I went back yesterday! And I was even keeping tabs on things! I ended up working 13 hours (most with babe in arms or on lap) on this one project. Ugh. I hope it's easier for everyone else.
#7 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM

just popping in to see how everyone's first day back went...

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#8 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have been back since tuesday, and so far, OK. The hardest part has been getting the kids up and ready in the morning, and then getting them home again by myself. Matthew has been a BEAR during the witching hours lately, and screams non stop for 1-3 hours. Its so hard to get anything done, but I manage. Work is actually the easy part so far. I get so excited about picking them up i get butterflies when I turn down the road their daycare is on. I just wish DH would be a little less critical lately, I might be able to relax more. its in his nature unfortunatly, which is why NO ONE likes to work with him. If you dont do it the way he would do it, or if he thinks you have done something wrong, your gonna hear about it. That includes nursing, which drives me INSANE!!!!! Like he has a CLUE how to nurse!

So how did everyone elses first day go?
#9 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM

OMG that is crazy about your dh telling you how to nurse!
I already mentioned my first day back was ridiculously long. The rest of the week has been similar. Me working way more hours than planned and staying up too late and being exhausted. I need to get things back in working order so I can relax a little bit. I'm almost there. But using my FMLA up (which I want to do) seems a bit unrealistic at this point. There is just too much to do. Maybe I just need to learn to say no.
#10 of 10 Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

His mother EBF all four of her kids without incident, so he thinks that makes HIM some kind of expert. Awwww men and their egos.......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page