What are you taking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just trying to remember what I should be taking. I know I need to pull out all my old books. But I was also curious what herbs/supplements/etc. everyone is taking.
I've been taking folic acid, mineral supplements, omega 3-6-9, and probioitcs. have to get out my herbs and start with red ras. leaf, nettle leaf, and oatstraw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 PM

I'm just taking my prenatal (Centrum Materna). I'm thinking about adding some B6 because I'm a hormonal wreck and am getting some morning sickness.

What are leaf, nettle leaf, and oatstraw for?

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm taking a regular multi-vitamin plus an extra dose of folic acid. The pre-natal vitamins made me terribly sick and constipated last pregnancy.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm taking a different prenatal this time with DHA. It doesn't make me throw up like last time.

I need to start doing omega 3 supplements but I haven't yet. And I've downloaded the blue ribbon baby diet and need to get on the ball with that.

I have some red raspberry leaf tea that I'm drinking, what are the other herbs for?
Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM

I have been taking a prenatal, extra b vitamins (I have depression issues, and some sources suggest this can help), folic acid, and then some vitamin E and zinc. I also take high-vitamin cod liver oil and probiotics, but that's unrelated to being pg.

I started my alfalfa tablets and nettle tea... with both of my others I waited until 10 or 12 weeks for rrl, so I will do the same this time.

Nettle is just a great overall tonic herb. It's rich in iron, folic acid, and vitamin K all. Oatstraw, the only thing I can think of is it helps smooth out mood swings. And alfalfa is a powerhouse. I can't find my list of stuff it does atm but I will try to post it later tonight if no one beats me to it!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 AM

I'm taking red raspberry leaf, nettle, oatstraw, rosehips, and alfalfa for tea. Was thinking of adding in some red clover too, but have to find out if it is *really* ok during pregnancy. I am going without prenatal vitamins (so unnatural to me..) and am just making sure I get my vitamins through food sources. So I drink 2 spirulina smoothies a day, and am taking microhydrin and "IQ", which is just an Omega supplement not derived from fish. I have depression issues as well, suffered through it badly during my first pregnancy, so I am eager to hear of others success with treating it naturally!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM

I take Organic Naturals Prenatal and probiotics when I remember. I like to keep it simple, and get most of my nutrition from my diet.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM

What is oatstraw?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM

I'm taking Rainbow Light once a day prenatals

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm taking Whole Foods prenatals and am just now starting with red raspberry leaf & ginger teas, plus ginger crystals and wild yam capsules.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm taking a B complex+folic acid. I know I need to step it up now and add some more stuff, especially since I'm allergic to dairy. But all of a sudden I feel like I know absolutely nothing! I've done so much reading about pg and labor and now that I'm pg I'm overwhelmed with this immediacy that seems so crippling! Anyone else have that?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlaine View Post
I'm taking a B complex+folic acid. I know I need to step it up now and add some more stuff, especially since I'm allergic to dairy. But all of a sudden I feel like I know absolutely nothing! I've done so much reading about pg and labor and now that I'm pg I'm overwhelmed with this immediacy that seems so crippling! Anyone else have that?
I have that exactly. It's making me wonder what happened to the knowledge I thought I had stored up from all of the months and months of reading that I've done.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, at least I'm not alone! I'm about to place a bulk food order for the community and I want to put on some vitamins for myself bc it's super cheap from the wholesaler, and we only order every 2 weeks. But I'm so confused! I wish my fairy godmother would come and tell me what to do.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
I'm taking Whole Foods prenatals
Me too. That's the only one I could take last time without getting even sicker than I already was.

User Tag List