Foregoing an internal your first visit - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl View Post
I had an internal on my 1st visit last week(9weeks). I think it was because I was spotting and cramping most of this pregnancy. She wanted to look at my cervix and feel my uterus. I didn't think twice about it. I had an internal with my last pregnancy(different state) with my first visit(12 weeks), but I was due for a pap. I am guessing that unless there are any issues, there is really no reason and that is why some women obstain. Correct?

I am happy for this thread, but also starting feeling guilty that I had an internal without questioning it. This is something I have been going through ever since having dd about a lot of choices(vax, food, health care products,). Honestly, some days, I am so tired of trying to research everything to make the best choices, that I just have to let go and have some trust. I do think it is important to be informed. Anyone else feel the same way?
I'm with you snowgirl! I too had an internal because I was scared, I had spotting and cramping and this totally reassured me.
As for trying to research and make the right choices, it is hard and I do believe you need to have some trust. I think we'd all go a bit batty, if we didn't (well, at least I would).

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks to all who have posted to this. I feel much more confident about discussing the necessity of an internal with the doc. on tuesday. While I want any and all reasurrance I can get, I don't want more interference than necessary either. I would love to think I can get through a whole preg, without medical interference, but I just don't have that kinda of confidence any more. In answer to attachedmamaof3's question about how they diagnosed the PTL, with my youngest. It was not just cervical, It started with spotting, backache, and contractions, My ob did an internal and found the cervix half the length it should be, and put me on terb, and bed rest to be monitored closely for two weeks, When there was not enough improvment at two weeks it was continued, It would look better as long as I stayed in bed, but as I said everytime I 'broke the rules' the contractions would start up again.
#33 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM

I would not consider these examples to be a normal pregnancy and ABSOLUTELY would have requested and allowed cervical checks in those situations (of spotting/cramping and PTL).

Look, it's not a "hard and fast rule" that you don't do internals. Just that there needs to be some acknowledgement in the medical community that in reality they add NOTHING to a normal pregnancy and serve absolutely NO purpose. (Again, in a normal pregnancy).
#34 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM

I've never had a "routine" one during pregnancy. However, I've bled with each pregnancy, so I've had one each time to make sure my cervix was closed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page