Mothering Forum banner

Nursing observations

618 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  andi-mama 
#1 ·
Supply is definitely down and which I believe is responsible for some interesting behavior in my 2 1/2 yo.

The first week she started really complaining about the lack of milk, she started biting her sister. Luckily this only lasted a couple of days.

Mostly she just wants me to sling her EVERYWHERE. It's the first thing she grabs in the morning to hand to me. I just bought a mei tai cause my shoulders couldn't handle it! I hope she will adjust to it.

At night she wants to nurse for comfort, but gets frustrated, so doesn't sleep. We're trying to compromise, by just letting her "hold" the boobie. It seems to get her to sleep quicker.

Also, she is insisting on wearing her diapers instead of her panties. I think, both the sling and her diapers are comforting for her in the absence of bountiful milk. I think it will be sad if we have to give it up al together, cause I think it would help her adjust to a new sibling. She is VERY attached.

So, is any one else noticing changes in their nursling due to changes in nursing?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not really noticing any behavior changes, just that she eats a lot more (she's 2 and has only eaten token amounts of food before my supply dropped).

To the OP, I think your DD is trying to fulfill her need for "nursing" in other ways, like the slinging gives her that same closeness that she gets when nursing. I would love it if Bella would let me wear her, but no dice

As with the diaper, I think thats fairly common with a big change. Like you said she is probably comforted by them.

My DD is a boob junkie, and whether there is milk or not, she is going to just nurse nurse nurse! Sometimes I wish I had detachable boobs, so I could just hand her one when she wants to nurse every five seconds!

#3 ·
I didn't notice any changes in behavior until today. We started night weaning last night and she's been really crabby today. Napping right now, so I wonder if it's because she spent some time not sleeping last night.

Mine is also very attached to nursing and she can nurse during the day for another year or two as far as I'm concerned (she's not quite 2 yet), but she's an all night nurser and I can't imagine trying to nurse her all night AND the newborn. And I'd rather have her get used to no night nuhnuhs now then when there's the huge adjustment of a new sibling as well.

I love the idea of slinging more to get that cuddle time in, but she is too active and wiggly to sling these days. Which I guess is ok. She'll hopefully not be as jealous when someone else is riding in her "sings."

#4 ·
some of the same things happend with my 1st child, when I was preg (with my son i lost at 21wks) she regressed a bit, and wasn't happy with my supply..My supply started to increase again around 14wks, and it was full force after I lost the baby
, hang in thier maybe your supply will increase in the 2nd trimester. My 2 1/2 yr old self weaned in nov/dec but when she is upset she likes to lift my shirt and rest her head on my boob, its a total comfort thing, I think its cute.. She may become intrested in nursing agian when the new baby comes, so we'll see what happens

#5 ·
I don't think its a reaction to a reduced milk supply (I still think I have plenty since I still soak through a pad and my shirt on the side she isn't eating on every time she nurses) but I do think she knows something is different.. She usually loves to play with DH when he gets home but lately shes wanted me and only me. If Im not holding her she is crying mama mama until I pick her up. Ive never been sick around her and she isn't reacting to well to be being sick all the time and I think that might be what it is.

#6 ·
Yes!! I can't believe this.. I have always had a lot of yummy milk for my Ds who nurses whenever he likes through out the day.. he sleeps from 9-9 since 7mos.. He is 18 mos now! Now It's sooo gone. I mean i still nurse he when he wakes up and a couple times during the day but he has noticed that it's changed taste and he can't get that much out.. He still tries though.. will switch from side to side a lot and then sometimes will just crawl off of me. He def. uses me as a comfort pacifer too at times.. I know he's not getting any milk but will saty on it for as long as I let him.. I am only 8 weeks too.. I hope it keeps up all pregnancy bc I want to nurse him until he's at least 2.
Also, as soon as we found out I was pg... he has become super attached to me. Always holding onto my leg in public and won't leave me even to go play with his friends or close friends of mine he's known since birth.. he freaks out if I leave the room.. so he knows something is up! It's just so weird how they are so intune with you.. I love it!

#7 ·
I haven't noticed any changes (yet?). We are down to four nursing sessions a day (right after waking up, nurse down for nap, right after waking up from his nap and before bed) and he is nightweaned. He would nurse a lot more if I let him but it is making me CRAZY so I had to cut it down a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.