Which pregnancy "rules" do you break? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 05-04-2008, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatgurl View Post
I wish I could drink a coffee. I coffee!!!! But the thought of it right now makes me ill.
I feel the same way, but the thought of it is just nasty right now.
I did drink a small dr. pepper today with my Subway. I was famished and knew I'd be sick if I didn't eat something and it was so good. I don't usually drink soda though but once in a great while. I used to drink Dr. Pepper all the time when I was younger, but just don't care much now.
#32 of 51 Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I eat cold lunch meat, take hot baths since I'm usually freezing, drink coffee (which my OB said was ok even though no one else thinks so), pet cats, dig in the garden with no gloves, and sleep on my stomach.

obstruct livery vehicles

#33 of 51 Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM

What's this digging in the garden with no gloves thing? I've never heard of that restriction.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#34 of 51 Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailmegan View Post
It is funny how by the third time around the strict adherence to the rules goes out the window.

This is my 3rd as well and basically I'm saying, "What? There are rules?"
#35 of 51 Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Hot dogs, intense exercise, and a plate of scrambled eggs that I had to pick 2 mold spots off of. Hey, I was gonna puke if I didn't eat something pronto!

And that's not even counting a little caffeine and/or sugar, 'cause I don't think those are all that bad!
#36 of 51 Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
What's this digging in the garden with no gloves thing? I've never heard of that restriction.
Toxoplasmosis, same as changing the cat's litter box (just in case neighborhood cats are using your garden as a litter box as well). But, after working in a veterinary clinic for over 20 years, I must say that your chances of getting toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat is MUCH higher than getting it from your cat.

We have a wonderful photo of my mom (colored hair and all) using her very pregnant belly containing me as a table for her whiskey sour. She SWEARS it was the ONLY drink she had while pregnant

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#37 of 51 Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Popping in from December to say... I have never craved brie until I read this thread. And now i'm dying for one of those brie wheels with the puff pastry around it, all golden and drippy... with crackers and grapes... argh.

I drink 1.5 cups of decaf coffee every morning with yucky creamer and sugar (to get things moving...), I eat my steak medium but don't send it back if it's medium rare, and I can only eat eggs over easy, dipping buttery toast in the wet yellows. I'm not big into feta or lunch meats or hot dogs, anyway.

I agree that America is a place where any risk, no matter how small, is no longer acceptable to most of the population. But those who are 13 weeks along and craving steak understand that some things are negotiable.
#38 of 51 Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Mmmm, brie! I was reading in another thread that most all cheeses you can purchase in the US are pasteurized or safe? Either way, it's not something that worries me.

Besides brie and feta, I drink diet coke every day, eat Togo's (deli sandwiches) or hot dogs about once a week, take long hot showers now that they don't make me nauseous, and I love eating 'authentic' Caesar salads in North Beach in SF.

Now I'm hungry again.

Rebecca, mom to Annie (11/07/2008)
#39 of 51 Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Coffee every day. I switched to lattes for a while because drinking it black was making me queasy but, I'm back on the hard stuff now. And now that I'm through the first trimester and I can see the hot days of summer coming, there is a beer in my future. A sweet Sleeman's Honey Brown.
#40 of 51 Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 PM
bax

I love this thread. I am doing:

--A cup of tea in the morning (and if I get a crazy bad headache, I'll have another to try to fix it)
--Occasional deli meats/ hot dogs
--Soft cheese as long as it's pasteurized
--Ate a couple bowls of ice cream that contained raw egg yolks (don't know if they have to pasteurize those or not?) before I remembered that possibility and read the ingredients
--Chocolate chip cookie dough from the tube
--The occasional sip or two of DH's wine/beer. Once I'm farther along and for special occasions, I will have a small glass w/ food now and again. Did that last time, too.

It's hard enough for me to try to get in all my food groups and exercise while chasing a toddler and getting migraines, so I figure, if a hot dog makes my life easier one day, go for it!

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#41 of 51 Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 PM

I practice an "everything in moderation" philosophy, so I've been known to break plenty of "rules" occasionally. I eat sushi, drink caffeine, drink raw milk, eat hot dogs and deli meat and soft cheese, etc.

My first pregnancy resulted in a big, healthy boy (9.5 lbs, 23 in) and I'm hoping for same, only a girl, this time around! Here's to being happy and listening to your body!
#42 of 51 Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 PM

Sushi! Brie! Coffee (decaf) now though! Tea! And after a week or so more I will enjoy a small glass of wine! this time around the bad "stuff" hasn't appealed as much! I still can eat a buffet out of crab In an hour though!!:
#43 of 51 Old 05-31-2008, 05:54 AM

I love this! You all made me feel a whole lot better..
Things I do/have done:
Ive taken Excedrin PM (I had a migrane and if I didn't take something soon I would have passed out. The Excedrin knocked me out and I was able to sleep it off)
I eat deli meat occasionally as well as hot dogs
I love tuna fish so I still eat it along with other fishes.
I take bathes at least once a week. I just make sure it isn't too hot.
I didn't even think about putting gloves on when I was gardening..
I don't take my prenatals, they make me throw up.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#44 of 51 Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 AM

I didn't know a bunch of the things on this thread were even 'rules'. Needless to say I'm breaking a bunch of them. My dr has never mentioned anything I shouldn't be doing - big contrast to my first pregnancy, which was in the US.

I take a bath most nights (I'm not meant to take a bath? What temperature am I not meant to exceed? They're quite shallow.)
I drink a cup of black coffee every morning and a coke when I need it (not often).
I eat all cheeses, but I assume they're pasteurised.
I eat tuna
I took antibiotics for an infection (that can't be breaking a rule though, right? But I did feel bad about it)
I have had the odd half glass of wine and will probably do so more often now. When I have steak it won't be well done.
I eat mayo.
Is smoked salmon against the rules? I feel like it might be but I eat it.

Edited to add that I had my hair coloured today.
#45 of 51 Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 AM

I can't stay away from chocolate! It keeps coming into my life, and I love it so much.

I have had sushi, but I try to avoid the raw fish kinds, so just veggie or barbequed eel or whatever.

Definitely have had smoked salmon...that's not ok? I thought it would be fine since it's not raw.

I went in the sauna the other night, but it wasn't very hot and I only stayed a couple minutes.

I take lots of baths! But not nearly as hot as I used to take them before getting pg.
#46 of 51 Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznavo View Post
I didn't know a bunch of the things on this thread were even 'rules'. Needless to say I'm breaking a bunch of them. My dr has never mentioned anything I shouldn't be doing - big contrast to my first pregnancy, which was in the US.

I take a bath most nights (I'm not meant to take a bath? What temperature am I not meant to exceed? They're quite shallow.)
I drink a cup of black coffee every morning and a coke when I need it (not often).
I eat all cheeses, but I assume they're pasteurised.
I eat tuna
I took antibiotics for an infection (that can't be breaking a rule though, right? But I did feel bad about it)
I have had the odd half glass of wine and will probably do so more often now. When I have steak it won't be well done.
I eat mayo.
Is smoked salmon against the rules? I feel like it might be but I eat it.

Edited to add that I had my hair coloured today.
This is me! I went to my dad's wedding the other night and had a glass of wine, and maybe once a week have a couple ounces of wine or beer. I'm around 19 weeks and feel comfortable with that now. I have also taken antibiotics for a bad bladder infection... that I really didn't WANT to do, but didn't feel I had any other choice. I also eat tuna, salmon and halibut (I live in Alaska for goodness sakes...).

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#47 of 51 Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Let's see the ones I break:

Fish (though I can't stand the smell right now)
Vaccuming
lifting 40 lb kids
taking herbal supplements
cleaning mouse poo (yes we have a nasty mouse problem)
med steak
deli meats
I just eat what I feel like
Hot baths
Occasional soda

Ones I don't break:
raw food (can't eat it even not pg)
alcohol/coffee/drugs (don't have those even not pg)

I know there are others, but I can't think too well when I have four kids demanding my attention.

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#48 of 51 Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Well, I'm trying so hard to be good but...I CRAVE junk food, and have eaten a fair share of it since getting preggo
I have eaten rare tuna and rare steak
I have had a beer or two since getting the
I have one cup of coffee a day (usually decaf though)
I went surfing last week (man it was tough with my bump!)
I have eaten blue cheese and brie, too

Everything in moderation, though! I'm trying, but I feel totally comfortable with enjoying the things I love, on occasion, and so far so good!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#49 of 51 Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM

This is my first and I feel like a naughty girl....
Soft cheese
Inconsistant about pre nateals (I was much better before I got pg)
don't always get enought sleep
eat chocolate
drink coffee
no problem with the meat since it grosses me out right now
I might drink a little wine or beer at some point
don't drink enough water...

I feel good, and everything seems to be going along fine, so I am not worried.
#50 of 51 Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM

I have to have a piece of dark chocolate every day or my mood is in the crapper. I can't live without.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#51 of 51 Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 AM

My true confessions:

I ate a hot dog out of desperation
For Mother's day I ate all you can eat sushi- including sashmi
I drink coke 2x/ wk
I haven't taken prenatals in months...
I take tea tree oil baths when I have an infection...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page