Which pregnancy "rules" do you break? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sitting here eating brie right now. Actually, creme de brie, because it sounded good. I've never avoided soft cheeses in pregnancy. That's not the only one, I'm sure, but I was sitting here thinking about how you're not supposed to eat it.

So, what do you do?
#2 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 04:32 PM

I've had some caffeine now and again. And at the very beginning of this pregnancy I went to a beer tasting. Soft cheeses...yum! Bring em on!
#3 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM

Occasional caffeine, feta cheese, deli meat. I don't overdo it on any of them, but sometimes I just have to indulge!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM

I eat deli meats and hot dogs all the time, would die if I couldn't eat Subway for 9 months! And I usually try to avoid caffeine sodas, even not pg, but lately I've gotten more headaches and caffeine works faster than meds, and I think would be better than me taking meds every day.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#5 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM

I drink Cokes to settle my stomach.
#6 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 PM

I drink caffiene almost daily. I try to limit it to one beverage a day (one coke, or one cup of coffee, or one trip to Starbucks), but I definitely don't swear it off.

In fact.... I think I'm off to Starbucks for a Caramel Frappucino

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#7 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 PM

I wish I could drink a coffee. I coffee!!!! But the thought of it right now makes me ill..

So, I've had a little deli meat, but only cause it's not really appealing to me right now. I had a TON of pate the other weekend and it tasted great. And NO cheese is off limits to me!! but besides that, no alcohol, no soda (don't drink it anyway), no raw fish .
#8 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 PM

I've also been drinking coke to settle my stomach. I normally don't like coke. I don't avoid deli meat either.

It's funny that during my 1st pg I was so strict with what I ate and drank. Now that I'm on pg #3 I eat and drink whatever I want.
#9 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM

When I saw the thread title my first thought was "BRIE!"

My rule of thumb is, if you get a different answer from a bunch of sources about whether something is safe, it's probably fine. Like take brie- my OB said it's fine as long as it's pasteurized. My friend's OB said no brie. I figure if it were really that bad, there'd be definitive studies and just about everyone's provider would tell pregnant women not to have it-- as they do with alcohol. The fact that everyone says something different about brie, deli meats, undercooked steak, etc. makes me feel like they're just making it up, or making a judgement call based on inconclusive evidence. Let ME make the judgment call, yaknow?

When my appetite comes back I will eat: medium rare steak, brie, deli meats (occasionally), hot dogs, and chocolate. I also allow myself a glass of wine with dinner on special occasions, such as my birthday. My first pregnancy I had a glass of wine on DH's birthday, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and Valentine's Day. Man did I savor every sip.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#10 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat5505 View Post
And I usually try to avoid caffeine sodas, even not pg, but lately I've gotten more headaches and caffeine works faster than meds, and I think would be better than me taking meds every day.
me too! At first I gave up caffeine completely, but when I get a headache a cup of coffee works wonders.
#11 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smocklets View Post
me too! At first I gave up caffeine completely, but when I get a headache a cup of coffee works wonders.
Me too!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#12 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Deli meats (Togo's), soft cheese, raw milk.... and caffeine, I usually have one a day - coffee icecream, or sometimes a diet coke... it would settle my stomach, too.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#13 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 AM

i also normally hate any soft drinks, but coke seems to be one of the only things that works for settling my stomach especially at night before i go to bed.
#14 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 AM

I did about 3 cokes a day around 8 weeks because it was the only thing that would temporarily help my stomach. Now coke tastes like puke and doesn't help anyway, LoL

I did deli meats when I could handle it. I had a hot dog last night. Could NOT believe I ate it, liked it, and didn't throw it up!

I've had candy and ice cream when they are the only things I can handle not throwing up or becoming even more nauseous afterwards.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream works WONDERS for my stomach sometimes! It really is amazing. The coolness and hint of minty flavor are a God-send!

I take baths about 1-2 times a week. I have normally very low body temperature and get cold very easily. So as not to throw our heat bill way up high, and sweat everyone else out of the house, I've taken hot baths on occasion. I don't sit in longer than 15-20 minutes, and I've actually taken my temperature to see how my body temp is doing. It's never gone past 98.8, so I feel safe. Taking a bath with DH is a really nice way to connect when I feel so far from wanting sex, but we need intimacy.

I haven't had coffee cause it's nauseating now, but everytime I see someone walk by with a frozen drink from starbucks it makes me drool,

let's see, I haven't taken prenatal vitamins in weeks due to hyperemesis.

I don't exercise right now because for me, walking into the backyard is an exercise after the weeks I've had with, again, hyperemesis.

Probably the only strict rules I'm not breaking are drinking alcohol and smoking, but only because I don't do either of those anyway. If I did enjoy wine, I'd probably have a glass on special occasions and not feel guilty about it.

I'm not dying my hair, either, which made me sad, originally, but my DH has never seen my real hair color, so I'm sort of doing it for him, too, LoL

So yeah, I'm a big rule breaker here!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#15 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 AM

I eat sushi
I eat fish
I eat tuna fish
I drink caffeine (1 Coca Cola/day, my little salvation I call it!)
I eat hot dogs and deli meat
I eat feta cheese
I eat ice cream for breakfast
I eat chocolate
I eat "real" sugar

I don't take prenatal vitamins (Because they make me sick)

Sooo...all in moderation, Right?

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#16 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Had Haru rolls (sushi) and a medium rare steak - yumm! Now that my appetite's back I'm craving good food.

So nice to say "SEE YA!" to the ole' Saltines...
#17 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM

I avoid the raw fish and stuff...

but I have chocolate (what's wrong with chocolate), occasional pasturized soft cheeses, and I treat myself to an occasional real soda or tea. Deli meat can be a god send...try not to eat lots but we do eat it.

bring on the medium rare steaks when I trust the source.
#18 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I avoid raw fish, and don't do too much caffeine, Ive had maybe 4 cokes during this preg. to save my life, I did have some coffee icecream too, don't drink alcohol so thats no biggy. I eat soft cheese in moderation, chocolate, med-rare steaks yummmy, and deli meats sometimes ~ the risk is listeria and it's rare ~ I think we just have a very fear based culture and I won't take part in it. oh and I sat in the hot tub for a good long soak a few times, and I gardened without gloves this weekend, nothing like the earth between my fingers!
#19 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 PM

gardening without gloves here too, but i wash my hands, what's the big deal?

also can't help but have some chocolate and caffeine every now and then - gimme a break, i have a toddler.

rachel ray has a great recipe for philly cheese steak pizza, that satisfies the deli meat craving!

hanging in there!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#20 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 PM

I make Mad Cow Milkshakes at work on the weekends. It's nice at the end of the shift when it's been soooo busy. aaahhh, sweet relief. and everyone at work loves them too. The first person that says, "your usind decaff, right?" I give them the evil eye:

Mad Cow Milkshakes:
ice cream
chocolate syrup
half hot or warm coffee
half milk
*Blend in blender of stir by hand*
top with whipped cream

yum

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#21 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 PM

well I love coffee so I'm not giving that up, mostly decaf but certainly 2-3 cups of regular a week too.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#22 of 51 Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM

I eat deli meat almost daily. I drink a coke almost daily. I guess that's it. Honestly I'm not eating very well right now either. Certainly not getting my veggies in. I can hardly bare to eat these days and for some reason if it isn't fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy I'm just not into it.

This is my 3rd and at this point all of the "rules" are out the window until I can get ahold of myself here in the next several weeks.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#23 of 51 Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 AM

I've been so bad this time

I take hot baths (though I get out when I start "feeling the burn")
I drink tea (it helps me "go" ya know??)
I eat deli sandwiches (didn't know they were "bad")

I'm usually so very strict. Even though after my losses this one feels so "fragile" compared to the rest, why aren't I being even more strict???? I'm racked with guilt but I'm not so good at coping as I used to be so I fall back on these "little comforts". What can you do???
#24 of 51 Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Coke here - every day at lunch! It makes my afternoons bearable. Sometimes I have icecream at night to calm acid-feeling. I ate tuna with #2 and probably will once I can stomach real food. Chocolate definitely once I'm feeling better!

It is funny how by the third time around the strict adherence to the rules goes out the window.
#25 of 51 Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 AM

Well, I'm not sure if they're "rules" but I do continue coloring my hair during pregnancy (highlights though, so the dye is not actually sitting on my scalp) and I don't give up my mani/pedis either I do ask for the chair nearest the open door so I'm not breathing in fumes.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#26 of 51 Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM

i have my mug of coffee every morning. my boss said something about it and i told her to back off and stay away from my coffee.
i've had: sushi (cooked), non-pasturized cheese, tuna, deli meat, and i'm sure a million other things. we have a vacation planned for july/august in europe. this will be our last big blowout before kids and i plan on enjoying every little bit of it. there is NO WAY i'm not eating cheese and drinking wine in france! i'm already ticked off enough about having to pass on the bouillabaisse because of the shellfish.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#27 of 51 Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM

I have a breve every morning (it's like a latte but with full on half and half cream) and it's a triple shot system but I only drink it until Drippy (what my daughter named the babe so far) says stop. The espresso and the cream are organic for extra yum.

Oh yeah, I'm drinking unpasturized cows milk. Drippy says that's cool too.
#28 of 51 Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 PM

I didn't even know deli meat was a bad for preg food!(other than how it's not fab in general...)Sheesh!I thought I knew stuff!

I've been a slacker.Now, I've noticed my bad behavior is finding a focus.French fries with fry sauce(mayo,ketchup mix): or sherbet ice cream.And an occasional Dr. pepper,but I've toned that down a lot.

I found out recently, that my youngest sister was almost named Pepper due to my mom's Dr.Pepper habit with her pregnancy!MY mother,who ground out wheat for bread,told us to chew wheat when we asked for gum!!!Drank Dr. Pepper!!!!! I am shocked!:The apple has not fallen far from the tree!

:::
#29 of 51 Old 05-04-2008, 12:09 AM

What's wrong w/ real sugar and ice cream? I mean, obviously, not to an extreme, but I think sugar has got to be a lot better than artificial sweeteners, no matter how "safe" they're supposed to be. And ice cream kept me alive last pregnancy - it was the only thing I could eat before bed that didn't give me heartburn/nausea and kept me satiated until morning!

So what other rules am I breaking? Caffeine, in moderation, for headaches and because sometimes darn it I want some! I ate feta cheese all the time last pregnancy (before the listeriosis / deli meats/soft cheeses prohibition existed). I don't eat meat, so the others aren't an issue, but if cheese is around I will eat it

I will probably go in the hot tub while we're on vacation, but I won't stay in too long (and since the danger is getting overheated, not really breaking a "rule").

Prenatal vitamins make me vomit, also. I can, however, chew my kids' gummi bear vitamins, so I'm using those. My midwife thought that was funny. I figure my pre-nausea diet was good enough that I wasn't likely to be at risk for low folate anyhow, and that's the main concern during the 1st trimester.

I do break some of my own "rules" during pregnancy. I'm mostly vegetarian, but chicken becomes incredibly appealing when I'm pregnant. I trust my body, and figure I must need the protein!

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#30 of 51 Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
I drink Cokes to settle my stomach.
AMEN SISTA!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page