Have you seen this?

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having my 3rd VBAC, 2nd at home. Sadly enough, my 1st (the cesarean) was the least traumatic birth for me, but after a lot of thought I have decided to try again and see what happens this time. I have a different midwife and a better support system (different friends...) so hopefully this will be the fantastic, amazing, life changing birth that I always hear others talking about. At the very least, hopefully it will be better than my other VBACs. My MW just sent me the link: Solace For Mothers, for women with birth trauma. Does anyone else post there? I haven't yet...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
This is my first pregnancy, so technically I shouldn't be here BUT I just wanted to pass along the fantastic news my midwife (at the request of her client) passed on to me and the rest of her clients.

Last Friday, June 20th at 12:49pm a woman in Northern Virginia had a HBA5C (home waterbirth after 5 c/s) of a healthy little girl!!

My best wishes to all you HBAC mommas!! You can do it!

Wow, that is so amazing. My midwife here is known for her support of VBACs and I know that she has attended a VBA3C before and lots of double VBACs, but I haven't heard her speak of anything like that yet!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2baldie View Post
I am having my 3rd VBAC, 2nd at home. Sadly enough, my 1st (the cesarean) was the least traumatic birth for me, but after a lot of thought I have decided to try again and see what happens this time. I have a different midwife and a better support system (different friends...) so hopefully this will be the fantastic, amazing, life changing birth that I always hear others talking about. At the very least, hopefully it will be better than my other VBACs. My MW just sent me the link: Solace For Mothers, for women with birth trauma. Does anyone else post there? I haven't yet...
Have you tried hyponobirthing? Releasing fear and tension, relaxing the mind, visualizing your perfect birth and trusting your body to give you that perfect birth are what they help you achieve. I have to say, I just finished the course and it was amazing for both DH and I. Just the fear release session that she went through was amazing, and I think very valuable to me. You might find it useful too.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 AM

I am planning my first HBAC, 2nd VBAC.

#1 was born vaginal prematurely, medically managed to the hilt. She needed that though. NICU staff was wonderful, but peds stay was terrible.

With #2 I freakd out over every twinge. I wanted a natural vaginal delivery though, and to avoid being seperated from my baby. I had prodomal labor for 2 days. Went to the hospital too soon and was exhausted. I think I was having back labor also. I wasn't feeling strong and I don't think my CNM really gave me much support. Pretty soon, they start crying fetal distress, but they spent a long time waiting for the anesthesiologist to call the section. They left me thinking they had NO HEARTBEAT for over 20 minutes, which had me fearing my baby was already dead. In the OR, heartbeat was 90 BPM. There was never any suggestion made to change position or get off my back, just the epidural for anesthesia. Thinking back on it, if they completely lost the heartbeat for so long, why on earth would they wait for the anesthsiologist to get out of another surgery to save my baby. This is our big hospital with a level 2 trauma and level 3 NICU. And if they can't do a section quickly in a real emergency, what's the point of being there? I am grateful to the CNM for latching my baby on right after they had me sewn up and for keeping her with me. The recovery was terrible. DH was overseas military, didn't see DD until 10 months. I drove home with a new baby, a 3.5 yo, and a huge slash through my abdomen, to take care of all 3 of us on my own. DD is 6.5 and I still have trouble with my incision. (By the way- don't try to use Nads on the bikini area!!!)

Then I got pg with #3 while DH was stationed in El Paso, which is not your most forward thinking place. The OB care in the army hospital was a nightmare. They did all kinds of behind the times routine procedures. The local hospitals were even worse. I knew I would have to fight for everything. I talked to a mw who advised me that if I wanted the OBs to leave me alone (not cut) I needed to stay home as long as possible. I joked with DH about having dd on the kitchen floor, he freaked! I went 2 wks past due, hadn't been seen by anyone in over 3 weeks. But, I knew they wanted to induce me on Monday. I had been having prodomal labor every day for about 4 weeks, but I was getting rest and just went along with it all right. Sat. night I had a friend who is a massage therapist come work on pressure points. A couple of hours later we left for the hospital, not at all sure I should be leaving yet. I was 8cm. when we got there and they were mad. Of course they put me in bed, IV in, AROM and internal monitors etc... I just wanted to move, so I was twisting from side to side in that stupid bed. When the baby's head passed by the incision, I felt burning pain, and freaked out a bit because I had read that was a sign of rupture. The irritated nurse coldly told me uterine pressure and baby's heartbeat were find and to remember "I did this to myself!" Thanks. Then comes forced pushing with legs lifted while on my back. They place my baby across the room to give O2, watch color and temp, and make her fast for her 1hr PKU! Then they retracted the cord. When I asked to leave early, they said they'd be keeping the baby if I left before checckout a day and a half later. Oh, and then the OB comes over, shakes DH's hand (what!) and says, "Congratulations, that's the only way to have a baby, but if you'd been here earlier I'd have cut her open."

When I got pg with this baby, back in the green capital, I thought I'd have no trouble having a VBAC in our forward thinking city. Wrong! There is one OB in the whole city who'll allow a trial of labor. At first I was a little nervous about the idea of doing this at home, but now I am completely comfortable with the decision and am sure it's the safest place for me to be, unless I need to transfter for surgery- in which case I'm not so sure being in the hospital gets me help any more quickly.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM

Welcome Julia!

Congrats on your pregnancy!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 PM

With ds I went to 42 weeks 5 days under the care of my midwife, who legally was not supposed to keep me after 42 weeks. I had two biophysical profiles, and bothe were great scores. Their OB just sent me back to them with a keep on waiting, yet he would not take me as his own patient. Unfortuantly my midwife was very hadns off, and not big into even attempting to help labor along. In the midst of all this dp was becoming quite anxious about the whole thing and the stress was not helping. When my midwife finally pushed me out the door, we consulted with my aunt who is a midwife and she suggested a local gal and after a quick consult with her, and her determining that 1) baby was quite big, and 2) cervix was not at all favorable that she would refer me for consult at our local hospital. The did an ultrasound, estimated ds between 11 and 13 lbs and reluctantly I agreed to the cs, but only after I went home, rested, gathered my stuff, and came back when I was ready. They reluctantly agreed, and I left at 11:30 am and returned shortly befor 1 am. Well they were waiting for me and ds was born by 1:20 am. While I have no regrets, as after seeing him I have doubts that I would have been successful even if they had induced me, he was a whopping 11lbs, 7 oz. So, I am glad all turned out well.

When we decided to have this one I knew that I would go for a VBAC no question. There is one birth center in the area that is doing a trial birth center VBAC study, but that was teh same midwife I had used for ds, and did not want to go back there. So we found a great midwife, and her assistant I actually knew form the other birth center, and am confident in her ability to help me have a successful HVBAC. We have already mentioned in passing that as soon as 37 weeks hits, she will be much more aggressive in trying to help bring this new one into the world, especially if it looks like i may have another whopper baby.

I hope everyone here is able to successfully have the birth that they are looking forward to :
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

hi all,

how is everyone doing?

Had a great MW appointment yesterday. I am 4 pounds lighter than I was at this point in my pregnancy last time, which is great because I've been a bit worried about growing a "big baby." (That wasn't the problem last time, but I do have insulin resistance so am at greater risk for macrosomia.) She poked and prodded quite a lot and proclaimed the baby to be head down and to be "a nice small package," probably about 2.5 pounds. My little peanut! :

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hello again...how is everyone? Are any of us at term or close to it yet?

I'm at 34 weeks and I'm starting to wig out a little bit. My hormones are raging and I keep picking fights with people before I can stop myself; I'm like a b*tchy teenager. I'm excited about the upcoming HBAC but also pretty scared. I wish I knew if it was going to work...I am scared of transferring and getting another c-section. I'm not really scared any more about something happening to the baby, though, so that's good.

Got my birth kit yesterday, woo! And my home visit is coming up in two weeks. Meanwhile, I have to schedule my follow-up ultrasound to re-check placenta placement and to look for accreta. Last time the technician said the position was fine, but the doc who reviewed the films said it was very close to the cervix. So frustrating. Hopefully either the doc was wrong, or it's moved up. Fingers crossed.

Please let me know how everyone else is doing! I don't know any VBAC or HBAC people around here, except for the women I've met at ICAN, but we don't really talk outside of meetings. It's nice to hear from other HBACers.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
we are so excited to meet our little one! 36 weeks today! This will be our second vba2c. The fears that had been creaping up for me have passed, for today at least! I was having REALLY BIG BABY issues, my first vba2c was 10.4, but she made her way right out no problems, for some reason a bigger baby was my main issue to work thru this time. I have resolved to just cross each bridge as they come. I really have trust and faith that the birth will be just as it should be, but it's hard to deal with the unknown. Sometimes I could just die to KNOW my birth story, but I can't do anything about that, I just have to wait. I know it won't be long now, but time so irrelevant these last few weeks. I was sitting in my bed the other day topless and imagined holding my sweet baby in the crook of my arm, looking down at her/him and watching her/him nurse. Im like a little girl pretending all alone in my room this mothering stuff is magical
wishing all the vbac/hbac mamas lots of love and light during these last few weeks....and COURAGE!

User Tag List