The HBAC Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else is planning an HBAC?

Here's my story...

I had a beautiful labor with my son, who's now almost 2. I went into labor at 5AM and labored at home with my husband til 3PM. My contractions were irregular...they would be 10 minutes apart, then 5, then 7, then 10, and then all of a sudden they went from that to every 3 minutes and I was puking and I was like OMG I'm in transition! The 45 minute drive to the hospital was ROUGH. But we made it, and when they checked me I was 6cm, fully effaced. So far so good. It was harder to labor there, with all the exams and intermittent monitoring, but I managed. Our doula, who IMO waited too long to come to me, ended up meeting us at the hospital. I got to ten and they told me I could push whenever I felt the urge. I thought I felt it, but looking back I really hadn't; it was more that they were pressuring me to start pushing and it sounded good to me so I went with it.

My bag of waters still hadn't broken at that point. I pushed for 2 hours, and I didn't really like the position I ended up in. I pushed on the birth ball for a while which was great but then they wanted me on the bed. I liked bracing my feet and arms on the squat bar, but it wasn't made to withstand pressure from the side like that and it kept coming off. So they had me in the classic "curled c" with people holding my legs, and I didn't like it. Anyway, my OB suggested breaking the bag of waters to try to get the baby to descend. I said OK. So she did it, and soon after that his heart rate started to decel and they called for an emergency c-section. I go over and over it...I wonder if the decels were normal and just from his head being compressed because he *was* finally descending, or if breaking the water caused some genuine problem. All I know is I started feeling a *true* urge to push for the first time as I was being wheeled to the OR, and of course they're yelling at me not to push, and it was the worst agony I've ever experienced. They almost couldn't get a spinal in since my contractions were so frequent, but thank goodness they did and didn't have to put me under. My son was fine when he came out, perfect apgars. My recovery was relatively easy; I have good pain tolerance and am a quick healer. Emotional recovery is still ongoing.

SO...I researched my options for this birth and quickly found that I can't go to a birth center anywhere around here since they don't take VBACs. At a hospital I'd be subject to continuous monitoring which would just put me on track for another c-section, I feel. So that leaves me with home birth! I'm excited about it, but a little nervous.

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can talk about our plans, share ideas, etc. It's a unique situation, going from a surgical birth to a home birth. Very emotional.

So tell me your story!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 40 Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Good luck! I want a hbac but I know I couldn't be truly comfortable because of outside pressures and negativity. I would be perfectly happy having an "accidental" homebirth, but actually planning one would be too stressful for me. I am hoping to go to a birth center here (it is unlicensed so can do vbacs) but it will depend on whether my insurance will cover the CNM. For now I am planning a hospital birth, hoping for the birth center to work out, and secretly wishing for a homebirth lol.

#1 was a c/s after 20hrs of labor then 2hrs of pushing without descent (wish I'd tried changing positions and pushing longer, there was no distress).

#2 was an unmedicated hospital vbac. It was wonderful and everyone was so supportive and great, but there are still a few little things I wish could have been different like being in bed during transition (ouch!) instead of being up and moving, and I wish I'd been able to push in a different position to try to avoid tearing, but by then I was in too much pain to care and just wanted him out lol.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#3 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 AM

I think I am planning a hba2c. Things are all up in the air right now. We are living in Alaska now, where homebirth vbac is illegal, but we will probably be living back in Washington when this baby is born. I have contacted a midwife there who does vbacs at home, and I know several great doulas there. I will definitely feel most comfortable having the birth there.

I am nervous about having a vba2c period. I have doubts that I can actually do it. This is me being very honest!! But more than anything I want to, and deeply in my heart I do believe that I can birth vaginally, normally. My first cesarean was because it was discovered my DS was a footling breech when I arrived at the birth center 9cm dialated with very little labor pain. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and he was born 30 minutes later by emergency c-section. My second was an attempted vbac, went to 42 weeks (but I suspect I was NOT that far along at all), induced by AROM at 4cm dialated... long, painful labor and 3 hours of pushing (she cam down far enough so we could see her) and another cesarean. DD was asynclictic and OP.

Anyway, I do think that I have the potential if left alone to have a fairly easy, quick labor. That's what I am hoping for.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#4 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM

hmm definitely something to think about. My first son was born naturally and in a hospital with a midwife. Wonderful experience except a few things I would have liked to be different but it was my first child and I was only 18 at the time. Second child I had full placenta previa the whole pregnancy therefore I had to have a cesarean. This time around placenta is not covering the cervix and I plan on having another natural birth with a midwife in a hospital. A midwife there makes me feel more comfort and my insurance covers it. I wish all of you who decide to birth at home a healthy baby and good birth experience.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#5 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well-wishes from people who are having VBACs in hospitals or birth centers.

But could I make a gentle request? This thread is meant to be an HBAC support thread. Personally I feel like I already get too much negative energy from my family, inlaws, and society in general about it. So it's not terribly helpful to hear sentiments about how you feel a lot more comfortable VBACing in a hospital. If you do, that's fine! But please don't talk about it here. This thread is for people who are planning or at least strongly considering an HBAC. If you want to talk about VBACs in other settings, please start a different thread. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a sensitive issue, and it will be nice to have a safe place to talk about this stuff.

Thanks ladies.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#6 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Popping in from August to say I'm having a HBA2C I did have a few reservations at first, but they've disappeared. I think the key is a positive frame of mind and a mw you trust. I can't imagine birth in a hospital ever again - especially surgically. It's been great as I've been very low risk this pg. I did decide to have the 20 wk u/s as we needed to check for placental placement to rule out accreta. Everything is perfect, so now it's just counting down

Have you been on the homebirth section? There are some truly wonderful stories, advice, just a great way to prepare. I wish you the best of luck and a beautiful HB!!!!

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#7 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM

Meredyth, that's how I feel. After my attempted hospital vbac I told myself I would never do that again. I couldn't STAND the constant fetal monitoring, even though I had a telemetry belt. It was so tight and it was constricting and I hated it. They pushed pitocin on me right away, and wanted me to push laying down. And I have issues with all these different nurses coming in and being distracting and some supportive and some not. The room was also so small. If I go to a hospital again it will be if I need/want a cesarean... and that's it. And no way before 41 weeks. Anyway, that was my experience. I loved my midwives, so I was really optimistic about it beforehand, but the actual experience was not what I envisioned or wanted. After all my research and thinking I am comfortable with being within 10 minutes of a hospital, but at home. I think that's where my greatest chances of success lie.

Of course this isn't to say that I'm not nervous about the whole thing, but I'd be nervous even if I were having a hospital vbac, or a third cesarean.

#8 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
Thanks for the well-wishes from people who are having VBACs in hospitals or birth centers.

But could I make a gentle request? This thread is meant to be an HBAC support thread. Personally I feel like I already get too much negative energy from my family, inlaws, and society in general about it. So it's not terribly helpful to hear sentiments about how you feel a lot more comfortable VBACing in a hospital. If you do, that's fine! But please don't talk about it here. This thread is for people who are planning or at least strongly considering an HBAC. If you want to talk about VBACs in other settings, please start a different thread. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a sensitive issue, and it will be nice to have a safe place to talk about this stuff.

Thanks ladies.
I'm sorry if my post sounded negative about hbac in any way. I absolutely support it and would love it for myself. I am extremely nervous about another possible hospital vbac.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#9 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat5505 View Post
I'm sorry if my post sounded negative about hbac in any way. I absolutely support it and would love it for myself. I am extremely nervous about another possible hospital vbac.
It's OK. And I hope things go well for you.

#10 of 40 Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM

I am planning another HBAC. I have a different midwife as the midwife I used for my HBAC has had her own babies and she's not full time back to midwifery yet. The midwife I'm using this time actually trained my last midwife so I know it's a great match. She's very respectful, asks my opinion on everything, and has a good sense of humor. Yes, I love people with a great sense of humor. Anyway, my previous midwife will proably be at the birth as well acting as assitant. Yea!

My first birth was a c-section for FTP. Typical OB managed labor that ended in surgery. Induction at 40 weeks for no medical reason. After less than 12 hours of induced labor, broken bag of water, epidural, the Ob said (at 5:30 pm) that a c-section was needed. No fetal distress at all. He said my cervix was swollen shut. I can't express how much that experience sucked.

My second birth was a perfect HBAC. It could not have gone better! It really was perfect. It was so great laboring at home. Not having to worry about going anywhere...all I had to do was concentrate on contractions. I could get in and out of the shower as I wanted. Walk around my house as I wanted. No wires, no tubes, no needles, no machines that go beep, no nurses in and out, no cleaning lady coming in, no one wanting to "check porgress" every hour. My 3 yr old ds was asleep on the couch....we have a pic. When the midwife arrived she was very quiet yet attentive. Asked me if I wanted to be checked and when I said no she didn't try to change my mind. She was there when I needed some support and she left me in peace when I needed it. She fed me honey and strawberries while I was in the tub. What OB does that?! She even brushed out my hair and put it back in a ponytail when it all fell out and became tangled around my face. At one point contractions slowed down and hurt less and I was able to get a much needed rest. I was in the tub, sleeping between contractions, and at one point I realized that I was surrounded by lit candles. The midwife and my doula had lit my candles from my mother blessing and placed them around the tub. It truely was a great birth.

The only thing I'd like to be different this time is to not tear (my babe came out with his hand on his head...little stinker), and to have a shorter labor. In all my HBAC was 22 hours but about 14 hours of intense labor. I'd like a labor under 12 this time.....but if it's longer again yet results in another great HBAC I will not complain.

Good luck to everyone with their HBAC. It is a very emotional situation....especially the first. I was very very defensive. I snarled and hissed at anybody who even began to voice any doubts or questions. I had enough of my own emotions to work through that I was not willing to calm others people's doubts, fears, or emotions.

Surround yourself with nothing but positve support and block all negative. HBAC is the best experience ever!
#11 of 40 Old 05-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Also planning a HBAC after 1 previous Cesarean. Last time, my grand plan was to have a home birth. We found out at 14 weeks that we were having twins which scared dh (and to be honest, me) enough to decide that a hospital birth was probably safest. Our local hospital has what I thought was a very progressive birthing center, with a low c-section rate and most CNMs attending. But - twins = high-risk. So, instead of birthing in the LDR rooms, with a midwife in attendance and a birthing tub available with intermittent monitoring, I was told that I'd have to have continuous monitoring, couldn't use the tub, would have an OB attending, and would be moved to the bright, cold surgery suite for the actual delivery. Oh, and maybe they could bring in a birthing bed but maybe not (so, what, I'm supposed to squat on the metal surgery table to deliver !?!?). We actually had a meeting at the hospital with the powers that be, who couldn't provide research supporting any of these positions, but insisted that it would be that way because it was "standard of care". The only thing I got them to back down on was the continuous monitoring. At that point, we started investigating homebirths again. One local midwife (the same who will provide my care this time) would catch twins at home. And here's the dooming but. . . my daughter (the lower baby) was breech, and stayed breech in spite of all our efforts to turn her. The midwife wouldn't catch at home with a breech twin A. She would have helped me stay at home until the last minute, then transfer to the hospital (which at the time was one of the few in the country that would "allow" a vaginal delivery w/ a breech twin A). Well, at the time DH was unemployed (after 1 1/2 years of trying to get pregnant, I conceived about 10 days before his job was eliminated - of course) and I was on disability, so we decided not to pay for a midwife knowing we'd end up in the hospital anyhow. I do think that was the wrong decision, but I don't know if it would have changed our outcome.

I was seeing an acupuncturist for moxibustin treatment. On Sunday (38 wks exactly), two midwife friends examined me and felt DD's fontanel - vertex!
My water broke the next Friday, at 38 weeks, 5 days. I was scheduled for a NST that morning anyway, so went into the hospital for that, expecting to have it and be sent back home (I wasn't in labor). I never left. I spent most of the time there flat on my back with monitors on my abodomen so they could get a 20-minute trace of both babies. I really believe that in all the NSTs I had (I had several - medical management of a twin pg), they never actually got a trace on my son). They couldn't get a good trace, so I could't move. They insisted on doing a vaginal exam to "confirm" my water had broken (um, I'm soaking a pad every half hour, what do they THINK it was). I was effaced and about 3cm dialated, with no real contractions. The doctor on duty decided to do an ultrasound to check positioning. Fiona had turned partway back and was now incomplete breech with her hip presenting. There was a big pool of fluid between her and my pelvis, with the umbilical cord below her. The OB informed us that there was no chance of a vaginal birth and too much risk of a prolapsed cord (probably true) and I needed an immediate cesarean (probably not true, but guess what? it was Friday afternoon - think someone wanted to be sure he was home by 5pm?). I was in surgery before I had much chance to even think about it.

Honestly, the worst part of the surgery was the urinary catheter. It was excrutiatingly painful, and after it was removed I couldn't urinate. I finally was able to force some urine out after they decided they'd re-catheterize me otherwise (No thanks!). I found out I have "small intervertebral spaces" (or maybe it's just that it's next to impossible to bend over when you've got 14# of baby in the way). I wanted my arms free, my contact lenses in place, and both my husband and doula in the surgery room. The OB said it was up to the anesthesiologist (I think he thought I'd just drop it). So I made them track down the anesthesiologist, who okayed all. I actually ended up with a midwife friend in the room with us, as well. It was a cast of thousands - the OB doing the surgery, a second OB as backup, the anesthesiologist, DH, my doula, the midwife, our family practice doctor (who came for the birth -the last good thing she did for us), a respiratory therapist for both babies, and I don't know how many nurses wandering around. I guess as surgeries go, it was okay, I healed well with almost no scar, never had an infection. I did get nauseous from the anesthesia and vomited afterward. I was definitely overhydrated and was so swollen for several days that I couldn't wear any shoes (I left the hospital in slippers). The first few weeks while I was healing were HARD, though, since I couldn't get up or down from a bed or chair without help, and certainly couldn't carry two babies! And I ended up having retained placental fragments which meant a D&C at 7 weeks postpartum (which could have also contributed to our breastfeeding difficulties).

Retrospectively, I'd have done some things differently. I really believe that even if a cesarean is necessary, it's beneficial for mom and baby to experience the hormones of labor. I wish I'd been allowed (or insisted that I was allowed) to labor for at least some time before the surgery. I believe that the long wait for my milk to come in (a week after birth) and my sleepy babies were due at least in part to the loss of the birth hormone cascade. Both babies were fine at birth, with 9's and 10's on APGARS, but they were still taken to the nursery while I was still in surgery. Why? They could have stayed with me, one or both on my chest. That was never offered and I didn't know any better. I didn't complain about them refusing to feed me until the next day, either, so I went over 24 hours with no food. And the whole hospital experience was a loss of control - over my body, my babies, my birth. So much was unnecessary (like the nurses coming in every night and waking us up for weights/temps - come on, newborns only sleep a couple of hours, they could have waited, but it was "protocol"). I had to fight against bottles, pacifiers. I had to fight to have my babies in bed with me. I was the ONLY parent who went with my babies for the newborn screen (it was horrifying to me to see the three other babies crying alone in their plastic buckets after being stuck).

I used to joke (okay, half-way joke) that if I had another child it would be to have a better birth experience. But I really want that. I want my daughter and son to see what a woman's body can do, and see how a baby should arrive in the world (when they play birth, there's always a doctor who "cuts the baby out"). I know that my body can deliver a baby, and I know that the interventions in a hospital are likely to interfere with labor and unlikely to provide a better outcome for my baby and myself. When people tell me "I'd be scared to have a homebirth," I can honestly reply that I'd be scared to have another hospital birth. Since no hospital in my county will support VBACs, my hospital choice isn't close to home and has a 95% (!!!) epidural rate. I'm not afraid of giving birth at home. And I love the care (and caring!) I receive from my midwives. I am really excited about delivering this baby, actually. I expect it to be one of the hardest things I'll ever do, and one of the most rewarding.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#12 of 40 Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

My first birth was a c-section for FTP. Typical OB managed labor that ended in surgery. Induction at 40 weeks for no medical reason. After less than 12 hours of induced labor, broken bag of water, epidural, the Ob said (at 5:30 pm) that a c-section was needed. No fetal distress at all. He said my cervix was swollen shut. I can't express how much that experience sucked.
This sounds almost exactly like my experience!

I am planning an hbac... The problem is that the closest midwife is 3-4 hours away. I haven't even called her yet because I'm afraid she'll say no, and I don't know how I'd handle the rejection. I've been reading the UC board here alot recently...

On Saturday I was with a friend in L&D, and being there seeing her hooked up to all kinds of monitors made me realize how much I do NOT want to birth in a hospital. I am actually afraid of going to the hospital to have my baby.

I need to just call the midwife.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#13 of 40 Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post
I am actually afraid of going to the hospital to have my baby.

Same here. The thought of walking in a hospital makes me hyperventilate. I am down right scared of birthing in a hospital. People say I'm brave for having had a HBAC but I'm too much of a coward to go to the hospital.

I hope that we can all come back and post here about our wonderful HBACs!
#14 of 40 Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will hba2c again.

#1 c-sec, I was very uninformed about birth but thought I was well prepared from taking the hospital cbe classes and reading what to expect. I was treated crappy at the low income clinic I had been going to and so decided that just because I was poor and young I would go to the best OB in town, you know the one who all the designer moms go to with their fancy purses, the OB who has the finest office with embossed wall paper in the bathroom. They were nice but what I was so naive about is their c-sec rate. I was instructed that if my water broke to get straight to the hospital since I was GBS+ and there would be a risk of infection regardless, but that water only breaks in 10% of women BEFORE labor so that wouldn't probably be me....well it was, oh we were sooo excited, giddy! Water all over the bed and floor, we were having a baby! Arrive at hospital @3am, they evaluate, hook me up to monitors blah blah, not really anything going on in the way of ctx, they wait till 7am to hook up the pitocin, up down up down with the pit dial trying to simulate nature. Around 12 the ctx are killing me and I ask for something, first nubain then we go for the epidural. By 7pm they are talking c-sec for Failure To Progress, I have only dialated to a 6, not fast enough for their stop watches, but it had only been 16hrs since water breaking and really only 12 since ctx. I cry and the nurse comforts me, baby & me both had reassuring vitals. We go have our c-sec and at the time I don't realize how big this will really affect me. I adopt the story they gave me, my cervix just wouldn't dilate and baby probably wouldn't have fit anyway...they even wrote "probable cpd" on the chart. he was 10#3, yes big, but he would've fit.

#2 csec ~ TWINS. year 2000 just as ACOG swung it's vbac pendulum from supportive to 1x a csec always a csec. but I was still well read in the vbac support of the late 90's and thought I should have no trouble getting a vbac, even with twins....oh my how naive I was. worse yet I go to the same OB's who lead me on till I was about 6.5 months and then said there is NO WAY we are doing a vbac with twins. I tried hard, bringing in studies out of Europe that showed vbac w/twins was safe, told them I would sign any consents they wanted, called about 6 other providers including MW's but no one would take me, DH was scared, he didn't trust me, his conditioning said "do what the doctors say" "don't put our babies in danger" "they know better, they are the doctors". so I shut down, I relented, and again I didn't realize how this was really affecting my spirit, I had a horrible planned c-sec, no labor, no signs that it was their time, no problems with them at all, just wheel me in and cut out the babies. They were born at 8am and I didn't stop puking till 4pm that afternoon, the meds didn't agree with me at all. They were back to my room before I was, being passed around between grandparents and daddy and I was in recovery praying that my toes would wiggle so I could go see my babies. Recovery from this c-sec was horrific ~ my scar was so angry the doc said.....but that wasn't all. Luckily I didn't have to go back under the knife to open everything back up and reclose it, but the top layer of derma was badly infected and I was on tons of antibiotics and pain pills and my dh was taught to pack and unpack the incision so it could heal from the inside out. My scar is angry, my body was speaking up, it was an outward expression of my spirits rage over what had been done, what had been taken.

HBA2C....almost 5 years after the twins, I spent that time healing and learning. I couldn't believe all these books I had never even heard of back then. A whole new world of birth opened up to me, midwives who did homebirth, I hadn't even realized that still was around. I began my search for who would support me, who would stand by and believe in me. I found a wise MW who resonated with everything I felt. My appts lasted 2 hrs each, I needed time to just process and talk. Again, my water broke first and no labor, but this time I was prepared to wait and trust ~ that was Sunday morning again @3AM, and Im not talking a leak, again the bed and floor were wet! Over the next 57 hours my body warmed up to the idea of contracting, mostly it would come at night when I lay in bed, mild, irregular, I thought if this is how it's going to be no problemo! By tues at noon, they were finally every 5 min and getting more intense, I called the MW, she and her helper and 2 doula friends came, my mom and dh and 3 kids also were there, I labored for another 12 or so hours, in my own space, doing my own thing, getting in and out of the warm water when I wanted. It was quite a journey, and I did beg for relief in transition, I roared and moaned and my daughter covered her ears and giggled, and I birthed my baby all 10lbs 4 oz of her and it was beautiful.

this time is different all over again, although I vbac'd 1x, I still have to process some of the same fears again, and all the what if's come creeping up from time to time, but I know what I want and I will not compromise.
#15 of 40 Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oops
#16 of 40 Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm sooo very excited I found a local midwife who attends homebirths so my fears will be comforted if I decide to go thru with it, otherwise I found a birthing center about 20 minutes away. I might end up homebirthing after all. Is anyone renting a birthing tub for their homebirth? I plan on getting one if we decide to have the babe at home.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#17 of 40 Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm planning HBAC #2!

My first baby was intended to be born at home but long story short, transfered after 36 hours of uncomfortable, sleepless, uneventful labor. Labored 12 hours longer with pit and an epidural. Pushed for 3 hours. He was trying to come out with his head cocked sideways. OB was sticking her hand in there and twisting around. I finally hollered "just cut the baby out!!!" and they did. Over all the experience was not scarring (except for the one on my lower abdomen) nor was it traumatic.

Second baby was a wonderful HBAC. Labor was 8.5 hours long, 3.5 of that pushing. Again pushed for 3.5 hours on a baby that was also trying to come out with his head cocked sideways. Difference was that I was NOT numb from the waist down and/or exausted. I did pop my tail bone way out of whack which was the worst of the whole deal. Didn't know it happend until a week after the birth and I had healed up otherwise. I was left still unable to sit down. Chiropractor helped that greatly but I still feel it from time to time. I suspect it will pop out again this time. I'll see the chiro right away.

Anyway, my HBAC was a fantastic experience. I would not have been sucessful in the hospital I am sure of that. Midwife said pushing for 3.5 hours is a little long for a VBAC but I was makeing progress so she was comfortable with me keeping on. This time should be easier!!

At my first visit I told her that my MIL wanted me to go to the hospital this time around and my midwife said there was no way I'd get a VBAC these days there. From what I"m reading, she's probably right.

What an amazing experience it is to have a VBAC. It's really special and it made me feel so proud of myself and my baby (and my husband for sticking with me).

Enjoy!
Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#18 of 40 Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SO much everyone, for sharing your stories!

Sativarain1: That's exciting that you find a midwife who does home births! Yeah I'm probably going to rent the birth tub. Hopefully I can time it so it comes right before the birth; it's going to take up my whole living room in my smallish apartment.

AugustineM: I know what you mean, pretty much every option is nerve-wracking once you've had a c-section, let alone two. But I think you have a really good chance- the circumstances of both of your previous c/s are not likely to be repeated.

Kleine Hexe: Wow! Thanks for telling your wonderful HBAC story. That's just how I'm hoping mine will go. And I love the idea of not having to travel whiel in labor.

CheriK: Great post. I agree that the idea of a hospital birth is scary. That's heartbreaking about your kids acting out c-sections when they play birth. I wish you all the best for a natural birth at home this time!

hannybanny: do it! call the midwife! I have the same problem, I procrastinate on difficult phonecalls. But it's better to find out, and then you can continue to explore your options if that midwife doesn't work out. Keep us posted.

nurnur: thanks for telling your story. It's really inspiring to hear from women who have HBACed, esp. after 2cs! Here's hoping your next labor and birth are as wonderful as the last one was.

As for me, I have my first m/w appointment on Saturday. She's not big on doppler but I think she'll do it if I ask- I REALLY want to hear that heartbeat! I hope DH likes her; I picked her out w/o his being there, since his work schedule is so hectic. I need to call my old OB and get my records...I'm dreading it. I just don't want to have to talk to anyone there. But I need to do it. Ugh.

#19 of 40 Old 05-09-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm not planning an HBAC (I'm having a HBAHB = home birth after a home birth -- hehe), but I wanted to say KUDOS to all you ladies who are going for your home births after a Cesarean. I think that's awesome, and I wish you all the best!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#20 of 40 Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 AM

^^ That's what I came to say!! Don't want to jump into the middle of your thread, but you ladies rock and I'm cheering you on from over here in NY! I'm very excited for you!

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#21 of 40 Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 PM

My MIL asked me the other day if I was going to give birth at home again. I said, "WTH, wouldn't I?"
#22 of 40 Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I had my second MW appointment today. I love her so much! She came up with a great solution for me for the 20 week ultrasound- I had mixed feelings about getting one because I was worried they'd find something they didn't like and it would set me off on a bad road. She gave me a scrip for a simple u/s to check placenta placement and basic anatomy only. I'm thrilled. We also just chatted for a long time about HBACs in general, the state of birth in america, my sick cat...it was really nice. I feel more and more comfortable with her each visit, and think she's really going to help me have a successful HBAC.

How's everyone else doing with their HBAC plans?

#23 of 40 Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 AM

I did not have an u/s until week 36 with my last pg because I also did not want to give any chance to anyone finding an excuse for me not to HBAC/VBAC. For the 36 wk u/s the Dr (yes it was an OB) was only supposed to check placental placement. She ignored that and I found her doing all sorts of measurements and such. She told me that the baby was already 5 lbs so I had better slow down eating so the baby would stay small, because I'm small, and I need a small baby. I was very irritated and so was my midwife when I told her.

Not to alarm you but just be sure they are only checking what they are supposed to check and not ignore the script.

I've agreed to a 20 wk u/s this time (DH wants one so I said ok) and I'm a bit anxious about it.

Love my midwife though. She's very respectful. We spent 3 hours talking at my last appt. We just chatted away.
#24 of 40 Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

hexe, I somehow missed your post til now. Thanks for the tip! I have my ultrasound next week (doing it at 18 instead of 20) and will be vigilant about their snooping around too much. I scheduled it at a hospital with a good rep for being supportive of natural birth, so hopefully they will have a decent attitude about this too.

Mini update: My grandma has asked me twice now if I am giving birth in a hospital, since she heard I'm using a midwife. She is as staunch a supporter of the medical model as you can get, she's 84, and has an anxiety disorder. I don't want her to worry (or to bug me about it), but I have trouble lying to my grandma! The first time I did just lie, but I didn't like it. But this time I came up with the best line: "She has privileges at XYZ hospital." Which is true! She just doesn't catch babies there! She was happy, I was happy, I changed the subject quickly.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone's looking for a similarly political answer.

#25 of 40 Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 PM

My political answer is, "Yes, I am. My body, my baby, my choice." Oddly, the conversation never goes any further.
#26 of 40 Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
My political answer is, "Yes, I am. My body, my baby, my choice." Oddly, the conversation never goes any further.
Well that's how I normally respond. But this is a special case...my grandma is on the verge of a nervous breakdown as it is, and I didn't want to push her over the edge.

With most people I go out of my way to tell them. The more it's talked about the more it's normalized. But I figure everyone might have someone in their life they'd rather keep it private from.

#27 of 40 Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM

This is my first pregnancy, so technically I shouldn't be here BUT I just wanted to pass along the fantastic news my midwife (at the request of her client) passed on to me and the rest of her clients.

Last Friday, June 20th at 12:49pm a woman in Northern Virginia had a HBA5C (home waterbirth after 5 c/s) of a healthy little girl!!

My best wishes to all you HBAC mommas!! You can do it!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#28 of 40 Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Awwwww! Thanks so much, nerdymom!

HBA5C!!!! That is AMAZING.

#29 of 40 Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

hi all!

How's it going?

We met with our prospective doula last night and decided to hire her- it's nice to have that squared away. It's an unusual situation- I am a novice doula myself, and belong to a local network of birth professionals. Mostly it's awesome because I have such firsthand experience with so many doulas; I already knew which one I click with, and just needed to have my husband meet her to make sure he likes her too, which he does. But it was also a bit awkward interviewing a colleague and new friend! The most awkward part was discussing who I would like to have as backup- I'm not crazy about the woman who normally backs her up- I like her as a person but would not click with her as a doula, so I had to just flat out say that.

I'm just about to start the hypnobabies course, which I'm excited about too. I'm hoping it will help me relax and let go of some of my c-section fears. It's so up and down for me...some days I just know that this birth is going to be a simple, peaceful, vaginal birth, and some days I'm terrified of having to transfer and maybe something happening to the baby. I'm trying to stay positive though. Actually, seeing the transfer at the end of Business of Being Born was helpful for me. The mom transfers, and it doesn't seem much different than when someone labors at home for a while with the plan of going to the hospital, if that makes sense. Have you guys seen that movie yet? If not, highly recommended.

What's new with the rest of ya?

#30 of 40 Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

I think that I'm going to be giving birth at my midwife's house. We've decided for sure we're moving back down to Washington in a month, and we'll be living on an island with a very tiny hospital. So I think when I go into labor we'll take the ferry to my midwife's house and labor and birth there. She lives close to a major hospital, makes me feel a little better. She is so supportive, and so is my doula. They're awesome. Sometimes I sort of get a bit nervous about it all, pretty much for the reason you say, katielady -- about having to transfer and something going wrong, but mostly I'm quite happy about the situation, and I can't imagine the alternative which is going to a hospital and having another cesarean before I'm even in labor. My midwife has done 20 vbamc at home, and transferred only 5 for nonemergent reasons. She's done over 100 vbacs at home, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page