Got the car seat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered it yesterday morning and it arrived this morning at 9 AM! And I used the free shipping option, Amazon, which usually takes at least a week.

I went ahead and bought it early for a couple reasons. I wanted time to practice with it because we did not use an infant seat with dd; Amazon had it for cheap and I didn't want to miss the good price; and I want the big ticket items like diapers and the car seat checked off my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM

What kind did you get? I'm debating whether to start with an infant seat or a convertable...

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM

oohh....whadya get?? i am such a car seat nerd.

Jaysmylilpunkin--i have a car seat tech friend and she recommends getting an infant seat for newborns. i can't remember the reasoning exactly, but i think it had something to do with the way the babies fit in the seats. but that's not to say convertibles aren't safe for tiny little ones. i can ask her if you want. it would be great if you had a friend who would let you borrow and infant seat (make sure its not expired of course) for the first couple months.

i am going to be using my boys' graco snugride. my sis is using it now for her little one, but will be out of it in plenty of time.

and if you all are interested in britax seats they are having a sale in sept.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Graco safe seat. The car seat gurus on the Family Safety forum said good things about it. I like that it is RF to 30 lbs (my 6yo is 41 lbs so I think it is safe to say we'll get at least a full year of use out of it.) and that it has a big sunshade (we visit FL a couple times a year).
Plus Amazon had it for only $114 and that sounds good to me right now.
DD is practicing buckling and unbuckling.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM

What did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
and if you all are interested in britax seats they are having a sale in sept.
Ooh, good to know!

Unfortunately () we already have enough car seats to cover the new babe and DD in both of our cars. No new car seats for us until DD outgrows her FPSVD...

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM

We used a safeseat with DS and he is only now about 24lbs and 34in at 25mths. We ended up getting about 18mths out of it - we took it with us to Canada for three months and stopped using it when we got back. He only just grew too tall for it a few months ago.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Even though convertible seats say they go from 5 pounds up, there is also a torso length that they have to meet in order to be safe. If your baby's torso is not long enough, it doesn't matter if they're 10 pounds, they won't be safe. For me, personally, I can't imagine, I couldn't imagine a newborn in a convertible seat. They seem so tiny in an infant seat. We moved my dd2 to a convertible when she was 2 months old and she barely seemed to fit in it right. It was a Britax Roundabout. I'd prefer to avoid the infant seat too, but I feel it's safer.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 AM

I think I'm going with an evenflo triumph advance. It's bottom setting is as low as infant seats. I will probably borrow a snugride from a friend for a couple of months, but my kids despised infant seats. Interestingly enough, I sold my infant seat a week before I found out I was pregnant. Oops. Anyway, we need another convertable, and I was going to get a boulevard, but I feel that the evenflo will work best for us since I may be able to use it sooner than the boulevard.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM

I've been watching Craigslist and I'm surprised how many people are selling expired seats. They seem to think "excellent condition" is enough.

The reviews I've seen on those Britax's sound fabulous. However, we'll probably do the "bucket" seat for a couple months. I think a friend has a 2 year old Graco baby seat he's going to give us (never been in a car accident, etc) which seems like a good option.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM

We have a graco infant seat we bought in Oct of 2005 for my son... How long before they expire?

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 05-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post
What did you get?

Ooh, good to know!

Unfortunately () we already have enough car seats to cover the new babe and DD in both of our cars. No new car seats for us until DD outgrows her FPSVD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post
We have a graco infant seat we bought in Oct of 2005 for my son... How long before they expire?
generally 5 or 6 years. you should be ale to look on the back and see the expiration date. i was at a garage sale yesterday where a man was selling a car seat that said "do not use after dec 2003". i told him is was expired and not safe to use so he should trash it. he totally dismissed me.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli

User Tag List