Tight chest and breathless.. what is going on? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time I am active for more than five minutes (seriously!) I wind up seriously breathless. It feels like my heart is racing (it isn't), I can't catch my breath, and my chest and stomach feel very tight (but above where my uterus is... it's sort of right under my breasts) and I feel warm and like I need to sit down RIGHT NOW.

Sitting down and drinking water usually helps, but that's not always feasable. A trip around the grocery store for ten minutes leaves me gasping for breath. I'm only 17 weeks- this can't be normal?! I don't remember this with my first pregnancy.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#2 of 11 Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 PM

That happens to me sometimes, too. I think we're pumping, like, 50% more blood while we're pregnant (and our heart rate also increases). Maybe this has something to do with it? I know what you mean about the grocery shopping, too. Of course, shopping with a 4 1/2-year old and 2-year-old probably doesn't help my situation -- lol.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 AM

Hmmm, doesn't sound normal to me... has it being going on for long? I'd talk to someone about it. GL!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#4 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM

I had this problem with DD's pregnancy and Im starting to with this one. However, I also have asthma that gets agrivated by being pregnant. Id mention it to your OB just in case.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 PM

I have this going on too, though not as bad as it sounds on your end. Do you know if you started out this pregnancy with a low hemoglobin/hematocrit? At this point in pregnancy, your blood volume is expanding, but it takes a while longer to produce the red blood cells. The relaxation hormones of pregnancy also effect your diaphram, making you feel out of breath alot easier. You could try a bit of Floradix, an iron supplement made from plant sources and very bioavailable. I would mention this to my care provider. Hopefully it will pass soon.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

I always get this way when preg. just usually not quite this soon. Usually I get told that I'm anemic and start taking more iron, on top of the pre-natals. your BP can have an effect as well. It is definetly worth a mention to the doc. especially if it gets worse.
#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. The MW did tell me at my last appointment that I have low iron, so I guess I need to find some supplements for myself (apparently I hate all food that's high in iron).

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM

My acupuncturist suggested (and OB approved) Floridix for low iron. It's sold in most health food stores. Its super effective. Some don't like the taste of it but I don't mind it at all.

They both blamed low iron on my dizzy spells.

Good luck to you!

Momma to Sofia Hope 11/08 & Anna Grace 9/10
#9 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Low iron sounds likely but I'd get checked out to be on the safe side.
#10 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM

I have had similar feelings lately. I was at the grocery store and actually picked up What to Expect... and the page I opened to talked about shortness of breath, etc.

I found the link for it on their site:

http://whattoexpect.com/index.aspx?p...e51f8139da&p=1

HTH!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#11 of 11 Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 PM

One of my books said our bodies are increasing the amount of CO2 it lets out and increasing the amount of O2 it takes in, and somehow that makes it feel like you can't breathe. I am not sure how that works.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page