Talk to me about a Mei Tai VS. Wrap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a sling mama (hence the name ) I used one with both my boys from day one. I had a Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (are these now outdated??) with both my boys and loved it, I liked the fact that they were padded around the shoulders and adjustable (DH is a slingin' daddy). Although, it did get real hot in Florida (with all the padding)!! But I would LOVE to try a Mei Tai or a Moby Wrap (or both) with this LO....although, I will still purchase a ring sling . So, tell me ladies, what do you prefer??? Where did you purchase it?? And, do any of you mama's make them? I'd love to support a WAHM.

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#2 of 12 Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 PM

I loved my mei tai with DD when she got heavier. I didn't have it when she was a young baby but I look forward to trying it out. I haven't used a wrap but Im getting one for this one along with a pouch sling. I already have a Moshi carrier, a beco and a ring sling.. I don't know which other ones I want to try but I love babywearing. Im kind of heart broken that my DD doesn't want to be worn anymore (I think its getting to hot here in the summer)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 12 Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Ooooh, WRAP. Definitely! They are harder to learn but sooo much more comfortable (IMO). I never could get comfy with my DS on my back in a mei tai but I can carry him around for hours (he's 2) on my back in a wrap.

If you're going to invest, though, skip the Moby. They're great for newborns and though they say they go to 35 lbs, they're really only good to about 15 lbs. After that the baby starts to get too heavy for the stretchy material and the wrap will sag under the baby's weight, which means you'll be adjusting and re-tying it a lot. A woven wrap is SUCH a better investment. They're more expensive but will last way longer (and they're so much prettier!)

Go check out thebabywearer.com forums

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#4 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM

I tried a moby and I didn't like it much. I agree that it's nice with a newborn, but like the Bjorn and others like that, it stops being comfortable when you hit a few months old.

I make ring slings, mei tais and onbuhimos. I prefer the mei tai for a littler baby, but the onbu is similar but more comfy for back carries, so I transition to that when baby's bigger and can do back carries. I use my ring slings from beginning until they are about 2 for quick runs into the store and stuff, but prefer the ASC's for longer carries.
#5 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Wraps are great for babies, and toddlers. I think mei-teis are only for older babies and toddlers. Wraps are by far my favorite carrier. I'm not a huge moby fan, but they're great for newborns and when you're learning. Once the baby gets bigger, though, around 15 pounds, you'll need something that doesn't stretch. Gauze wraps are my favorite.
#6 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, looks like I'll probably veto a moby. I have big babies and fast weight gainers, so if it only holds to 15 lbs, I won't be able to use it after 2-3 weeks.

I checked out tbw.com and researched alittle last night as well...

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#7 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM

http://www.wearyourbaby.com/

A friend made me a wrap from this website, it's absolutely beautiful and I love it!

hth!

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#8 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM

I haven't tried anything but the ellaroo wrap and I just love it. It was perfect when dd was teeny tiny, and is now wonderful at 25lbs when we go shopping and such. It holds up to 100lbs, but I won't be carrying around my 6th grader if it's up to me ! Anyway, I just like the versatility that the wraps provide. I wear her on front, back, or either side, and have various ways to wrap her for each position. It is definitely more expensive, but in the long run, you'd end up spending that going to each new size anyway.
#9 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 PM

I absolutely love my Bamberoo mei tai. I bought it on etsy for about $60. It's awesome!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#10 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 PM

I used my moby comfortably until DS was 6 months or so, and a lot more than 15 pounds (not sure exactly what his weight was though.) It's all about tying it tightly enough. I found my woven wrap much more difficult to put on and adjust, since it was less stretchy. I *love* my moby. So there ya go- another perspective.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#11 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am a bigger busted plus size mama and finding a wrap or carrier other than my trusty sling was difficult last time, but Im wanting to try again. I used my over the shoulder ring sling and loved it, I also have a new native pouch sling that was handy when newborn stage but I didn't like that I couldn't adjust it and always found myself back to the OTS...I know there is soooo much out there now, Im just wondering if a mei tei on a plus size mama makes the lo spread there legs too far? $$$ is super duper tight so I'll probably just use my same sling again, but I would like to browse...any ideas?
#12 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurnur View Post
I am a bigger busted plus size mama and finding a wrap or carrier other than my trusty sling was difficult last time, but Im wanting to try again. I used my over the shoulder ring sling and loved it, I also have a new native pouch sling that was handy when newborn stage but I didn't like that I couldn't adjust it and always found myself back to the OTS...I know there is soooo much out there now, Im just wondering if a mei tei on a plus size mama makes the lo spread there legs too far? $$$ is super duper tight so I'll probably just use my same sling again, but I would like to browse...any ideas?
http://www.wearyourbaby.com/

I'm a plus size mama and a dear friend from church made me the one on this website. You buy the materiel, however much you need, and there is step by step instructions. Money's tight here, too, and I don't see the point in spending so much money on something you can either make or have made. I don't get it.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page