I am so annoyed!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister works at the Walmart that is 5 minutes from our house. She sees our dad in there all the time but of course he can't be bothered to come to the house to see me. She tells him that I'm pregnant again and he rolls his eyes and says..."Good grief, not again."
I'm so fed up with my family. They all have some opinion on how many kids I have. I don't ask anything from them, my stepmom (she signs my dads name but it's all her)sends my kids money on their birthdays and Christmas. I don't ask any of them to babysit, except I have asked my mom twice in almost 16 years. I'm just so sick t death of hearing..."Well, you're finally gonna get your tubes tied now, aren't you?" and "Don't you know what causes that?" I just wish they would be happy, I am. My mom is all worried that she'll have another grandchild to buy for. I want to say..."Yeah cause that $10 (total) that you spent last year on my kids and the who knows how much you spent on sister's kids really broke you." I guess this is why I don't talk to my family much. Oh and my mom says it's because she doesn't want to see me raising kids when I'm almost 50. UGH, I just can't hardy deal with them some days.
#2 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 01:04 AM

I don't have any advice just wanted to give you a
#3 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Yeah, I just don't have anyone around here to talk to. My family is weird. They say things sometimes about childbirth and breastfeeding and just everything that shows how uninformed they are and you just can't hope t educate them because, according to my brothes and sister..."well, mom raised us all that way and we're fine."
#4 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 AM

Ugh! Who needs that?!? Just hugs...
#5 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Hug
#6 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Im sorry your family is being like that. I think that its one of the reasons I haven't told my family.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm so sorry. I just know that when I have grandkids I'll see each new one as a blessing. I can't imagine how anyone could feel otherwise! They're the ones who are really missing out, if they don't recognize all the joy and excitement that a new baby brings. It sucks that they're not more involved and supportive.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
I'm so sorry. I just know that when I have grandkids I'll see each new one as a blessing. I can't imagine how anyone could feel otherwise! They're the ones who are really missing out, if they don't recognize all the joy and excitement that a new baby brings. It sucks that they're not more involved and supportive.

I feel the same way. I'm not going to care how many kids my kids have as long as they take care of them. I'm looking forward to having lots of grandkids arund when I'm old. My ex-h's mom died long before I ever met him but everyone in his family says that I am alot like she was and that I probably would have been very close to her. She was always so excited when a new baby was coming. It's weird...his mom breastfed all of her kids and only her oldest daughter did for her kids. My mom refused to breastfeed anyone and I'm the only one in my family who has.
#9 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm sorry, that sucks. I wish I had advice. My mom had 5 kids, and we got a lot of, "again?!" but mainly from strangers.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#10 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnms View Post
I feel the same way. I'm not going to care how many kids my kids have as long as they take care of them. I'm looking forward to having lots of grandkids arund when I'm old. My ex-h's mom died long before I ever met him but everyone in his family says that I am alot like she was and that I probably would have been very close to her. She was always so excited when a new baby was coming. It's weird...his mom breastfed all of her kids and only her oldest daughter did for her kids. My mom refused to breastfeed anyone and I'm the only one in my family who has.
My paternal grandma, who passed away several years ago, had 8 kids and I don't even know how many grandkids- 20? She loved having us around and was always baking something, and never fussed when we made noise or made a mess. That's how I want to be someday, surrounded by a huge crazy family. I bet you will have that too! Something to really look forward to.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2008, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
having # 5 for us has brought a lot of the same attitudes out in unsupportive people, Im having to learn to not take it on, but it's hard, it does effect me, mama Im sorry your family is like this.
#12 of 15 Old 05-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah we had some of those responses and we're only having our third. I can definitely imagine if we had more that we'd get a lot of unsupportive comments. I feel for ya.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#13 of 15 Old 05-25-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm sorry.

We're happy for you here on MDC!
#14 of 15 Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 PM

I'm with you on this one. My parents had nine and I started getting asked when I would stop after the second. My MIL (who I love) is getting a bit frustrated with us for having so many. But she does help us out a lot with financial stuff though (even when we don't ask for it-which is most of the time). I'm just not wanting to hear from some of my sisters and FIL or SIL. They would not be too kind in their comments.

I have found that when I get comments in the stores, if I answer in a positive way, that people are more kind in their responses. Like I get the question/comment "Wow, are they all yours?!" I just answer like I am so proud and happy, "Yep, they are!" I get much better responses with that. So I'm thinking that if I could respond to everyone in that way, "Yeah! I'm having another baby!! I am sooo excited!" people will be much kinder (or silent) in their responses. I think it tells them that you are happy with things and are handling things fine. ~ I guess I'm just thinking this out for myself mostly.~

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#15 of 15 Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM

Sorry you are dealing with this right now. My parents are also driving me crazy, but not for the same reasons. I decided to bring my dd on a 3-day work trip because I frankly just don't want to be without her that long and they think it'll be harder on her to fly across country than it will for her to stay home without me there. Umm...NOT! Her dad is not going to breastfeed her five times a day and it's two days of travel straddling one work day consisting of a 3-hour meeting.
I get so mad at my folks sometimes, but I try to remember that their actions and words are a product of their own upbringing which is sometimes not as enlightened as I would like. That doesn't make it any easier to deal with them, however.
Congrats on your new addition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page