Need your opinion on this name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

Dh and I came across this name ona movie before I was even pregnant. I have been getting mixed reactions from people - so I am wondering what you all think of it -it is a girl's name -Sveva (pronounced S-Vay-Va)

What do you think? I am thinking of Ray as the middle name.

Be honest!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#2 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM

I love it!!!

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#3 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Neat and unusual, I like it. It sounds spunky, fun and exotic.

I think most people will have a hard time with pronunciation, you'll need to decide if you love it enough to put up with it. I would for a name I loved!
#4 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM

I like it. It sounds Russian. My first attempt at pronunciation would have been S-veh-va, though.
#5 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah - pronounciation is the only concern I have - although my 2.5 yr old can say it perfectly! It is actually African, and since we have a Kenya we thought it would go well her name!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM

It's sounds like Survivor said with a strong Boston accent. Like "Hey, did you watch "Svayva" last night?"
#7 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 01:11 PM

I like it

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#8 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM

I like it too.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#9 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM

I think it's nice. It's very feminine sounding to me!

I think if a child went to school with the name Sveva, you'd probably want to go in ahead of time and tell the teacher how to pronounce the name so he/she wouldn't be struggling over reading it from the attendance It's not hard to pronounce, just difficult to know how to pronounce it when you see it written.
#10 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mom2one** View Post
Hello,

Dh and I came across this name ona movie before I was even pregnant. I have been getting mixed reactions from people - so I am wondering what you all think of it -it is a girl's name -Sveva (pronounced S-Vay-Va)

What do you think? I am thinking of Ray as the middle name.

Be honest!
First I thought the name was "Ona Movie" and I wasn't sure how to break it to you that it was a little too out there ! Sveva is pretty, it does sound slavic to me, and I love slavic-sounding names. And I like that it's actually African (what coutry?) and goes with your other kid's name.

As pp's said, it seems like it's up to how much you're up for correcting people's pronunciation and telling them the name origins (and perhaps admitting over and over that you came up with it by seeing it in a movie).
#11 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Not in your ddc - just saw under new posts. I'm going to be in the minority here I guess. I wouldn't. It sounds like a kid's mispronounciation of a female body part. Kenya is easy to say and spell; Sveva isn't. That said, if you do use it, I think Ray sounds good as a middle name.
#12 of 16 Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM

I really like it. Just be prepared to write it phonetically and teach people. It reminds me of my FAVORITE girl's name that my husband vetoed: Aviva.
#13 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 AM

I like it but I would have to get used to it. I agree with others that it is going to present a lot of difficulty in pronunciation and also it will always get misspelled. I think it might be a little easier if it was spelled Seveva.

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#14 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 AM

I really like it. Unusual and fun.
#15 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 PM

ok, I'm mostly just a lurker because even though I'm technically due in Nov (29th) I'm expecting the baby to be late like her/his big brother was.

But I have to say I like the name, I thought it was Scandinavian at first, and I'm still trying to figure out which female body part it might sound like (vulva?).

If the origin of the name is important to you, I am sure that the uniqueness and special-ness of her name would not be lost on her as she grows into it. Yes, she will have to tell people how to spell it and pronounce it, but if she loves it and is proud of it, she will have no trouble doing so, and people (especially teachers if I may say so myself as a teacher) will make note of the spelling and the pronunciation. Teachers are usually pretty good about that. The first time I ever met a student named Basia and mispronounced her name she rolled her eyes at me and corrected me "It's BAHSH-ya! It's Polish!" - I'm pretty lucky she left off the "jeez, don't you know ANYTHING?" - and that was that.

So I give Sveva a big

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#16 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
But I have to say I like the name, I thought it was Scandinavian at first, and I'm still trying to figure out which female body part it might sound like (vulva?).
I was just thinking the very same thing! I guess my female anatomy imagination just isn't working today

I like it, but I like unusual names and don't mind training people, my dd(3) says her name "Winter Lark" like WhintaLaaaak, she's not good with R's quite yet or she is really from Boston, we always have a lot of explainin' to do but it's fun!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page