Mothering Forum banner

~*~Spotlight on BookishVonLiberal~*~

529 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  BookishVonLiberal 
#1 ·
What's the meaning behind your screen name?

What is your favorite book and why?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post
What's the meaning behind your screen name?
I'm a big nerd, read all the time, was almost a librarian and I'm politically pretty far to the left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post
What is your favorite book and why?
Ouch, picking one book above all others could cause me to have an aneurysm. A few that I have read dozens of times and will continue to reread: Larry McMurtry's "Evening Star," John Irving's "The Cider House Rules," Tom Robbins' "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas" and Rita Ciresi's "Pink Slip."

#4 ·
Obama by default. I started out backing Edwards, then Clinton, and now Obama. I don't have any real problems with his positions; I just wish he was more of a hard-ass. I think he's underestimated the Republican attack machine and the depths to which they will sink. I shudder at what they are already doing to him, come October it is going to be ugly beyond belief if he doesn't smite them.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
I see you're on ravelry! What's your favorite type of knitting project?
Small stuff! Toys, baby clothes, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
Have you knit (or started) anything for the baby yet?
So far: two pairs of longies, a hat, pair of booties, and possibly a shrug and sweater if baby is a girl.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Where did you grow up and where is your favorite place you've visited?
Grew up in central Texas. I think I'd have to go with Bruges, Belgium for my favorite place to have visited. It was so beautiful, the food was amazing, I just loved it. Plus it was the first big trip I took with my dd and without dh. I was very proud of myself. I did love London though and that is definitely my favorite big city.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
What's your favorite Tom Robbins quote?
Hmmm, he has so much wisdom but I don't really quote him. The things that have stuck with me are Larry Diamond telling Gwen Mati that people are where they are because of choices they made and Ellen Cherry Charles having the secrets of the universe revealed to her. He's definitely influenced my world view.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Wow, you took your DD to Belgium without DH? How old was she? Was it just for fun? How was the trip?
She was three and a halfish. We lived in Germany at the time so it wasn't quite as big a deal as it would have been coming from the US, but we had to change trains FIVE times (damn discount fares) and it was my first time to be a tourist without him.
We needed to GET AWAY, and it was great. Well, except for how she fell out of the bed and bit through her lower lip and we had no access to ice so she spent the weekend looking like a battered child. But waffles and chocolates made everything better.

Belgium is way underrated. They say the Belgians eat as much as the Germans and as well as the French, and those are my kind of people.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinginhipmama View Post
So of all the places you've been where is it you call "home"? Meaning, if you could pick one where would it be?
Home is wherever we happen to be, KWIM? If I have dd, my dog, my cat and dh (at least some of the time!), that's just right. I've learned I can adapt to any locale. For us, 'home' is very much a state of mind rather than a physical place. I will say that of all the places we've LIVED, this (NOVA) is the best and I wouldn't mind settling in here.

Quote:

Do you speak any other language than English?
Sadly no. I can understand a smattering of written German and French but other than rudimentary phrases I can't speak it. I've got your basic tourist foreign language: where's the toilet? how much? chocolate! I tend to rely on dh because he picks up languages amazingly fast (speaks Arabic, Spanish, French and Italian)

Quote:

Air America???
Used to listen to it but haven't in ages. It went down the tubes didn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.