November DDC Kitchen Table - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome all expectant mommas to our very own kitchen table. Sit down, pour yourself a mug of your favorite refreshing beverage (NORA tea anyone?), and start talking.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#2 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd like to sit down... but instead just watch me run around as I pack for a camping trip with my mommy group! There are 10 moms+families camping. We've been planning it for months... and I am so excited! Shh, don't tell, but when I woke up this morning I got that excited/nervous feeling in my stomach...like on the first day of school
#3 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm at work, with loads to do, but bored out of my mind wanting to leave, praying for 5:30 to roll around. (It's only 12:04 here).

What are you ladies doing/thinking/eating/whatevering?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#4 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Not much going on here, stuck at home while DH has my minivan at the shop waiting to hear what's going on with it (is it terrible of me that I'm hoping it's some major repair that's not worth it so DH will finally agree to get a new car? LOL) The kids are nagging me because they don't want to miss their playdate later and I can't guarantee it because it depends on when we get the car back! I can't even switch cars with DH because we can't fit 3 carseats is his.

And it's 110 degrees and we can't even go in the pool because the filter is not working so we're waiting on that repair guy too. No fun!

Looking forward to the weekend though - I have a La Leche League conference to go to up in Phoenix (U.S. Western Division leadership meeting) so we'll be getting away for a couple of days. So I am procrastinating here, hanging out on MDC instead of packing the suitcases for 5 people when we have to leave waaaaay early in the morning tomorrow, LOL

Oh, and not very interesting, but eating a sprouted wheat bagel with organic cream cheese and drinking (unfortunately decaf) coffee. I'll probably go finish the banana that DS took 1 bite from and then left on the table.

Any big weekend plans for you guys?

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#5 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Oh nerdymom, I just saw you're in Manassas - we're originally from NoVa too (we moved from Fairfax to Philly a few years ago, and just relocated to the Southwest in January). I miss the D.C. area sooooo much!

ETA: just heard from DH, just a brake job, so no new car for me just yet! But at least the girls can make it to their playdate so hopefully the whining will stop now!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#6 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Well howdy!
I just had an inadvertently amusing phone call from our family doctor. Apparently I'm due for some sort of fasting physical. I said: "I'm 20 weeks pregnant, so I won't be fasting anytime soon. People could die if I am prevented from eating."

Right now I am eating a sandwich made from some crazy high protein flax bread and super chunky peanut butter, with a glass of skim milk. Which will bring the protein count for the day to 50 grams.

I just started knitting a baby cardigan as a gift for my friend who is having a girl at the end of August.

That's about all that's going on here.
#7 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi there! Love to join you at the table! I'm visiting my folks on the east coast in Delaware, trying to work half days while here. My dad is currently doing a puzzle with dd and I'm just sitting down to the computer to work. It's really nice to have them here to help out and enjoy dd. We only see them every 4 or 5 months so it's a special time. My sister should be busting through the door any minute to quick pack for a flight to Germany. Her husband is stationed there in the AF and she has been working in Delaware and living with my parents for the last year. Today was her last day of work and she's headed to Germany to be with him. He was going to try to come here first, but he couldn't get on one of the free military flights out of Germany this morning, so she's going to go there instead. I'm kind of bummed I don't get more time with my sister because we don't see her that much either. But we had a couple of fun evenings together hanging out with dd and laughing a lot.

I'm plotting how I can quit my job in all my spare moments. My boss just sent me an email this morning with the subject "Hi" I knew right away it was going to be something about the pregnancy and sure enough, it was. I am visiting our main work office (coincidentally we will be driving through NoVA on the way to Charlottesville, where it is) next week and he wants to talk about how we're going to manage me being out/having reduced hours, etc. I don't know what to tell him. Last pregnancy I ramped back up to 40 hours of work when dd was 6 months old and this time I definitely don't want to. We have our house on the market and if it sells, I'll definitely be quitting. In the meantime, though, I'm going to have to work at least half time to make ends meet. I'm wondering if I can just tell him that.

My parents house happens to be junk food capital of the east, so I just ate six vanilla oreos. But at least drinking water.

Baby hasn't been moving a lot, so I'm all preoccupied with that, but I think he/she is just more mellow than dd.

That's all the news here
Glad your car got fixed bfmama! (but sorry you can't get a new one)
Camping trip sounds fun booflies! Enjoy.
#8 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booflies View Post
Shh, don't tell, but when I woke up this morning I got that excited/nervous feeling in my stomach...like on the first day of school
Haha, you're cute :P
We are excited too! DS has been running around all day saying "Cah-pah! Cah-pah!" (Camping, camping!). I hate to break his little heart by telling him we're not going until after naptime... that's like a year away for a 2 year old!

He is very excited to see his friends, though!

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#9 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

: hi bundlefish I love NoVA too, except for the yuppies and the congestion...Sorry about your car. That sucks.

Sounds like a lot of us are going to have exciting weekends. I'm excited b/c I get to see DH (he works and stays with his 'rents in MD during the week, comes home to me on the weekends), but sad b/c I have to go to him, since he has his USCG reservist drill in Baltimore this weekend. But I will get to see him some in the evenings, as long as he doesn't have to do any boardings. That means I get to spend all day Sat and Sun with MIL, FIL, and SIL. Oye veh!

I'm still at work and miserable. Even my boss (who came in late) left over a half hour ago, but I still have tons to do before 5 comes.

So I guess I'm the depressed momma at the table today.

:

#10 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Coming to join in.

I'm sitting here with a sick baby in my arms and a few toddlers coming to me asking to take their clothes off because they got wet while playing outside. I'm also trying to come up with next week's menu and hoping no one else will be too sick to eat anything. I sure hope the baby is only teething.

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#11 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM

Hi there! Haven't posted much here yet. I'm Emily, Portland Oregon, 31, first baby due on Nov. 12th. Getting my prenatal care and having a water birth at a natural birth center here in Portland. I have fantastic midwives (and insurance)!

We just had our 19 week ultrasound on Wednesday and I have to wait until next week to hear if anything is "wrong". I'm a little anxious, but really practicing surrender/letting it go. The u/s was really beautiful - I haven't wanted to use a doppler thus far, so it was our first time getting an idea of baby's heartbeat, and wow was that little flutter on the screen magical!! We want to keep the sex a surprise and the tech was good about not telling us!

I need to make some time to go maternity clothes shopping - it's ridiculous how I'm still cramming myself into my office slacks. LOL So, anyway, we just moved a few weeks ago to a terrific new apartment and I'll be spending most of the weekend unpacking (still!). So glad we moved now and not down the road.

I've been eating fruit like crazy - I crave sweet/cold constantly! I've been going through watermelon, peaches and cantaloupe like nobody's business! : I just finished reading Anne Lamott's "Operating Instructions" about her son's first year and wow, what a refreshingly candid and laugh-out-loud read. I highly recommend it for moms-to-be.

Hope everyone else here is doing well and have a wonderful weekend!!
#12 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm a little pink today - spent too much time at the beach on the lake with too little sunscreen earlier.

I'm tired of being told I don't look pregnant. I haven't fit in my normal clothes in two months and every time I hear that I don't look pregnant, my mind changes it to 'because you were already fat!' FTR, I was a size 12, sometimes 14, on bottom, and L tops because of my boobies. Not really 'fat' but man people make me feel that way!

Dd is off to resident camp for the first time on Sunday! She'll be gone until Wednesday, so it'll be just me and ds during the day. I think he'll like the opportunity to be an 'only' but I also know he'll miss her!

Am I the only one who feels like she isn't eating enough?? I'm just Not Hungry with the heat.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#13 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Well, its nearly 9pm on friday night, the boys are asleep and I am taking advantage of some alone time. I don't have much planned for the weekend. We'll be hitting the farmers market and the beach tomorrow (our usual Sat.) and go to my parents on Sunday. All week I've been researching Hermit crabs (the wild ones) and teaching/ discussing with my boys. We actually found a whole bunch down in the canal this week so of course it sparked an interest in all of us Anyway, that's the excitement for the day...I'm boring I know (except for the fact the I am eating Mango Sorbet and typing with sticky fingers YUM!)

Oh, wait I almost forgot....we got a new neighbor check this brute out!!!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...a/DSC01835.jpg
Now that was exciting! In our backyard!!!!!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#14 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM

It's 9 on a Friday night and I'm hanging out on MDC! I had a busy day - went shopping with a friend and her 7 year old and 1 year old, then walked to the park after nap, to our parish's fish fry then to our downtown car cruise. I'm not sure I can get up from this chair if I wanted to!

I'm not eating anything because there's no room because of all of the fish I ate!

I found out yesterday this one is a girl, and I working on names. I really like Grace or Nora, hubby wants Bella (have a friend with a girl by that name). We both like Mary, but we have a b*tchy SIL with that first name and our surname. Can we post name polls on MDC?
#15 of 1796 Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Hey everyone! Its Saturday morning here (we are 13 hours ahead of the east coast if anyone was wondering the time difference). Ive spent the last three days taking care of my sick baby and now i have the stomach bug she had. Hopefully it doesn't take me that long to get over it since DH leaves for boyscout camp Monday and won't be back till next Saturday.

Only good thing happening this weekend is a bought a rocking chair from a very nice lady and she is dropping it off today. It was such a deal, 25.00. You can't get one for under 150 over here so I was very happy to get this one. It means Ill have a rocker for when the baby is born.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#16 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 12:46 AM

yay for rockers. i love my glider.

i am also sitting on MDC on a friday night. The sun just set on the longest day of the year (maybe i can find some fairies in the yard, they are supposed to be out tonight, at least according to the local talk show) We had a family BBQ, one of DH long lost cousins is in town, and i had to drive home and Dh came from work on his scooter, so i am waiting for him to come home, ah scratch that he just got in, so i will say good night ans "see" you all on monday.
#17 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booflies View Post
I'd like to sit down... but instead just watch me run around as I pack for a camping trip with my mommy group! There are 10 moms+families camping. We've been planning it for months... and I am so excited! Shh, don't tell, but when I woke up this morning I got that excited/nervous feeling in my stomach...like on the first day of school
How fun! I hope you have a great trip. It's way too hot to camp here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginhipmama View Post
(except for the fact the I am eating Mango Sorbet and typing with sticky fingers YUM!)
Where oh where did you find mango sorbet?! That sounds like the best food item on the planet right now!

Cute 'gator.

I'm enjoying the world of the 'net again after not having access for a week. I've also discovered that my great plan of buying regular empire waist/babydoll shirts is backfiring. Turns out the shirts are long enough but they are not wide enough. My second tri belly is already pushing the shirts to the limit. Sigh. I guess I will actually need *maternity* shirts and not just empire waist.

Oh, and at ds's karate practice there was a mom with her one week old baby. I had to sit and listen (as a bystander) to her talk about her "natural" birth. You know...early induction, demeral, pitocin, epidural, natural birth. Sigh. When did the term "natural" come to mean "OB managed, intervention, and drugged" birth...just because it was not a c-section?
#18 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 01:10 AM

Evening mamas. I couldn't get onto MDC this afternoon, it was down.

I'm pulling up a chair to gripe... I'm feeling sick... some sinus thing that has made my throat sore and now it burns and nothing will relieve it... and honey is murdering my teeth... guess I have some holes :

On a good point, DS and I baked cookies today. It was a lot of fun, even the mess, and I am sure he ate more cookie dough than we baked . I am so happy to be at the point now where we can do things together like this... it makes the daily grind much more bearable

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#19 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
When did the term "natural" come to mean "OB managed, intervention, and drugged" birth...just because it was not a c-section?
Because no one can say the word VAGINA. Just uttering those syllables invokes such horrible images and feelings that entire towns have been rendered mute with fear.
#20 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Because no one can say the word VAGINA. Just uttering those syllables invokes such horrible images and feelings that entire towns have been rendered mute with fear.
Yep, when I talk about my hospital births I tell them that I had a VAGINAL birth. Some try to change it to NATURAL birth, but some just end the conversation shortly after that.

Turns out that I've got some sick kiddos. Some with fevers, some with nasty coughs. I was hoping it wasn't anything, but nope. Our first day of summer is going to be taking care of sick kiddos. One kept falling out of bed last night and another has just spent the first 30 minutes of her morning throwing a tantrum on the floor next to me.

I'm getting really excited to get out to do my weekly shopping this morning. With all the crankiness going on, I am happy to get some quiet time. Even if it is just grocery shopping.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#21 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hello biddies, sory to hear about all the sickies out there. My own DH is sick (allergies, working on a nice sinus infection) now, and I have no herbs to help him, since we are at my PILs. The healthfood store down the lane opens soon though, so I'm going to go get him some yummies. Right now he's knocked unconcious with Benadryl. I haven't seen him all week, or we would have headed this off with some HEALTHcare, now we have to play cach up wit sick care. He's still not used to the concept of maintaining health instead of treating an illness. :

Also I need some Alfalfa tea. Anyone else taking alfalfa as part of their pregnancy diet? Also I picked up Henci Goer's The Thinkng Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. If you haven't read it yet, DO IT!

VAGINAAAAAAAAAAAA

#22 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so bored. Wish I were home instead of stuck here with the soccer game blaring in the background. TURN IT DOWN!! :

#23 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

Where oh where did you find mango sorbet?! That sounds like the best food item on the planet right now!
DH got it at Publix (local grocery chain) I think Haagen Das makes it. It is perfect for hot weather and not to heavy for the belly!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#24 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh how i need to pull up a chair, we just returned for 6 days of camping on the Oregon Coast. It was fun, but now unpacking is staring me in the face and my house is a slum. Our campout was a reunion campout on dh's side, his fam is huge so it was great fun to see everyone and not have to do all the work the kids didn't whine as long as they were running with their cousins, but once all together in the van for the 7 hour drive home it was back to normal....whine included:
oh and I think I caught a cold while there, along w/ds so we are 2 snotty's right now along with allergies we are a fun pair to be around!
dh took the carseat cover off since it had the marshmallow goop all over it and now I can't get it back together for the life of me. I think I am going to need to hire some help to get this house in order, I have so many projects to get done and only 4.5 more months......can't believe how time is flying! I also came to the conclusion that I think this babe is a girl, I have never been right before but I started to feel strongly a girl vibe while camping so I'll have to place my bet now on GIRL! We'll see!
#25 of 1796 Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Ahhh...*flop into chair,take off shoes,rest feet on table legs,and glugs down 1/2 a bottle of water.*Sooooo good to be here! Of course, since I am sitting, ds runs up to nurse...o.k. smidgen of a youch!So, how is everyone?I'm having anxiety,cos tomorrow is way too busy!Nice,clean and at church by 11,fight kids to be decent for 1 hour while attempting to be spiritually fed,Then, I have/get to do the spotlight for our kids class(primary),then the big 35 kid lesson too,plus Dd2 has a 1 min. talk.Also in this time,YIKES!!!!I need to manage to record attendance, assign kids talks etc... for next week and other secretarial duties!!!!Then an hour drive to my parents house for a triple b-day party,and then on the way home,we're picking up a kitten!!!!!I have NEVER lived with a cat!Nevermind a baby one!Nevermind while pregnant!I'm worried that no-one will clean the litter,cos I can't be by it...And I'm SUPER worried I might be allergic!It's already an outside kitty,I may allow it in the basement.I DO NOT want to be vacuming hair all over!Plus we need some fur free space for our homebirth.All that aside, I am so exited to have a playful pet for the kids!Dd1 has practically manifest this kitten!Litterally, her vision board is 10 cats and a horse!So sweet!I hope it all works out!I'm a little nervous about the lesson tomorrow.35 kids who were just required to be still for an hour is no easy crowd!Wish me luck!!!!YIKES!!!!Oh, and back in the first hour of church, I and dh will be introduced as scout leaders!Hoo-Boy!That's enough!WAY too much fun all at once!I may be burned out on monday,But I have an interveiw to be a fitness club receptionist on Mon at 2pm, so I need some presence of mind for that.And a babysitter....I'll ask SIL at the party tomorrow.
Right now, I'm happy to sit here with you mama's and relax-ds is done nursing for now- and have a nice water...

:::
#26 of 1796 Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 AM

Woohoo, I just hired a doula! That and I ate a scoop of yummy locally made, hormone/antibiotic-free ice cream.
#27 of 1796 Old 06-22-2008, 04:00 AM

Agh, it's 3 am here and I am awake... it started storming, though just barely, but enough to wake me up and keep me up!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#28 of 1796 Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Hows everyone? Im avoiding going to bed right now since DD is in a bad mood and DH is sick (caught what DD and I had earlier this week). DH takes off to boyscout camp tomorrow morning for the week so I won't see him all week. However, good news, he mentioned to his CO I was pregnant and due in November and his CO told him no way he was leaving in October, they would find a replacement. Thats one thing off my mind. Of course, he would wait till today when he was told that Friday but Ill put it to not feeling well and having a sick wife and daughter.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#29 of 1796 Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM

I spent a gloriously exhausting Saturday with dd, my best friend, and her ds. We only see each other about every six months, so it was a wonderful time. We walked the kiddos in the strollers on bike paths around our old high school, took the kids for a picnic in the park, went swimming at her mom's house, walked around her mom's farm looking at various farm animals and eating a nice taco dinner after that. It was great to see my best friend in person again. Phone calls just aren't enough.

I've been eating so poorly here at my folks' house. I'm too embarassed to discuss details, but let's just say only five more days til I'm back in rural Colorado with the grocery store and associated junk food an hour drive away! That'll be a relief. I think I gained more weight in the past four days than I have the whole pregnancy so far. Whoops.

Dh is missing dd and me in Colorado--he went to a party last night without us and said it really made him miss "his girls." Dd whispered "I love you" to dh on the phone last night and he about melted (so did I).

Hope the rest of everyone's Sunday was mellow! Hope all the camping was fun!
#30 of 1796 Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 PM

Well, yesterday went pretty well. I ended up going to three stores and then back to one because they forgot to put my salmon in my bag after I paid for it. But that turned out fine. Then we had four missionaries from our church over for a hot dog dinner last night. That was fun, but right before they got here, our computer crashed and we lost all our files. So I finished up the day trying to get our computer up and running again.

Now for today, we are all home from church because I have another with a fever. So we are all vegging in front of the TV watching LOTR extended series and taking naps.

And then I am not liking this 'no intercourse' order from the dr.: I already have it forced on me from the end of Jul to mid Sept because dh is going away for training. 'sigh' Well, at least I will know I did what I had to do to keep LO healthy and safe.

I think a good chamomile tea is in order right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page