Has anyone used hypnobabies before or is anyone planning on using it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my hypnobabies course in the mail over the weekend. I like it so far, although the book is written poorly IMO. It has a lot of ALL CAPS and bolding and underlining, which makes it look very amateurish and just hard to read. (I used to be a writer/editor in the corporate world so I'm sensitive to that kind of thing!) But the CDs seem great, I like her voice and look forward to the daily relaxation time.

It's weird though- two of the doulas in my group contacted me to express concerns about Hypnobabies, since I'd mentioned I'm using it. Made me nervous! But once they explained their concerns I'm not worried- one of them is the whole "don't combine it with other courses," which makes it seem cultish, and I understand that. But when you read the explanation outlined in the book it does make sense. If the whole point is giving yourself only positive, calm images of birth, seeing a noisy Bradley birth on tape might send a mixed message to your subconscious. I'm not planning on going "whole hog" with HB, and just mainly want to use it for relaxing, not necessarily to put myself in a state of complete hypnosis or to have a pain-free birth. But I can see how if you were going all out, you would want to avoid exposure to the more typical scenes of childbirth. Their other concern is that it sets up the expectation of a painless birth, and can be disappointing if that doesn't work out. One doula had a client who had a long, difficult labor, and eventually asked for a fairly early epidural. After getting the epi, she said to her doula, "They said it wasn't supposed to hurt!" When she experienced pain, she thought it meant something was wrong, or that she was doing something wrong, and she got very discouraged and gave up. That sucks! So I can definitely see that being a problem, esp. for a first-time mom. But again, not a problem for me. I know labor can hurt, and I'm not expecting this one to be pain-free.

I suspect that some doulas might also have misgivings about it because it's so internal, and perhaps creates less of a role for the doula. It will be interesting to see how I will mesh the HB stuff with my own doula. I think it'll work, but I'll have to see when I see!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#32 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.....lastnight I listened to the very first CD ( I had read section 1 over the weekend). I'm discouraged that maybe this isn't right for me

1. I simply could not get comfy, and I was readjusting every few minutes. My shoulders were not sinking and my body was not responding to the deep breathing. Actually, it felt so UNNATURAL to have my tongue behind my upper teeth and breath out that way, that I ignored that repeated suggestion and just breathed in/out through my nose. If I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth, I have to focus to do it, which brings my attention away from the script. Also I started to get nauseous?!

2. I stopped then restarted later in my own bed. Same thing, nauseousness that started only after I began the CD, readjusting, struggling to breath as requested.

I didn't get through more than 14 minutes both times and had to turn it off.

Ugh....please tell me this is a commmon experience for the first time listening to a script! I'm just discouraged now. Hypnobabies is so far from anything I have ever tried before. I'm honestly just not the type of person who can sit still very long without figeting with something.....so sitting completely still for 39 minutes is going to be nearly impossible.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#33 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 AM

I ignore the specific breathing suggestions and just concentrate on breathing deeply and slowly. I think there was a similar question on the Hypnobabies yahoogroup and basically that was the consensus - if you have an 'alternate' method of breathing and relaxing, and it works for you, use it.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#34 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire View Post
I ignore the specific breathing suggestions and just concentrate on breathing deeply and slowly. I think there was a similar question on the Hypnobabies yahoogroup and basically that was the consensus - if you have an 'alternate' method of breathing and relaxing, and it works for you, use it.

Oh thanks about the breathing suggestion! Makes things easier! I have avoided posting on that board because I'm so intimidated, and that I might be flamed for saying the things I just did. I feel safer posting it here

~Natalie~

#35 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 PM

natalie, I didn't have that experience with the first couple CDs, but I'm on to week 2 now and I did get very anxious and uncomfortable during the "learning self-hypnosis" one where they teach you the lightswitch technique. As soon as they told me I couldn't move my body I felt very claustrophobic and wanted very much to fidget and move, which wasn't true when I was relaxed (in the same position) doing the other CDs. They talk about this phenomenon in the workbook and say it's totally normal. Your mind is resisting this new way of working.

Definitely stop if it continues bothering you to this extent, I would say. But I suspect it will get better. I also figure it's a lot like yoga- yoga is hardest at first for people who (like me) have very stiff muscles, but then we are also the ones who can benefit the most from it. Does that make sense?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#36 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 PM

Another vote for breathing the way you're comfortable. I took the hypnobirthing class and I just breathed in a comfortable manner for me. Of course, she also told us to exhale through our nose, which is what I prefer, so that made it easier.

I hope it gets easier!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#37 of 48 Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM

How's everyone doing with their HB stuff?

I'm having trouble not overriding the lightswitch. I'll turn it to off and get very relaxed etc., but then I'll hear a nose or my foot will start to fall asleep and I'll move before remembering to turn it back on. I think I just don't like being "off" very much...I imagine in labor I'll use center switch more. I figure all I can do is keep trying.

But here's a cool story...last night I burned my wrist getting something out of the toaster oven. (I have been SO clumsy this pregnancy and keep hurting myself!) It was fairly painful and the only thing that made it feel better was keeping ice on it. So an hour or so later I went to put DS to bed, and lately he has needed me to sit on the end of his bed until he falls asleep. I had my ipod all ready to listen to an HB script, but once I settled in I realized I had forgotten my ice, and my burn was really throbbing and painful. I thought about going to get the ice and then was like, "Hey wait! Maybe I can use it as hypnosis practice!" And the script I was listening to had a lot about directing anesthesia to whatever place needs it. So I did that. At first I didn't notice much change, but then my arm started to feel hot and heavy but no longer painful. After a little while it just tingled, and then didn't hurt at all any more. I was so psyched! It really gives me increased faith that these techniques will work for me.

#38 of 48 Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome mama! I keep trying every night to send anesthsia to my freaking nipples when Bella is nursing, but it just hasn't worked yet Makes me nervous that I can't get it to work!

I hate being in "off" and often accidentally override my lightswitch as well! The deepening script has now become torture! Now that I have just started my third week and learned about the center switch, I pretty much stay in center throughout the whole deepening script. Hopefully thats ok to do, because that is the only way I am able to get through it without feeling like a failure!

~Natalie~

#39 of 48 Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM

The deepening script is quite well-known to drive people batty! Sometime they find it very relaxing at first, but the third or fourth time they listen to it it is impossible to sit still. For me, it lasted until birthing day. Once my pressure waves started, I craved that track. I listened to it once and then was ready for the birthing day track.

This time I am only on week two, but no problems with it yet...but I'm ready if it happens. Just know that many others have the same problem - there is something about letting go and going that deep into hypnosis that our minds tend to resist.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#40 of 48 Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I should clarify! I am only crazy fidgety while I'm awake during that script. I listen to all of my scripts at bedtime because I've had this problem with other scripts as well I fall asleep or go into hypnotic amnesia (not really sure which) within like 5-10 minutes, so its only really bad when I'm awake. However, I notice that I do come "up" a bit a few times before the end, and then move, and thats when I'm really bad about overriding my switch:

~Natalie~

#41 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 06:58 PM

How are people doing with this? Still at it?

I trailed off...I think I started the whole thing too early in my enthusiasm, and now have been in "maintenance" for too long. I've been listening to either the affirmations or one of the scripts on most days (hardly ever both). I do it at nap time usually, and I fall asleep after like 5 minutes. I don't care what she says, I'm not in a "hypnotic trance," I'm ASLEEP and I don't think I'm hearing it.

I'm doing my best though. I really think it could help if I manage to stick with it enough.

How about y'all?

#42 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've been religious about it. Most days I do affirmations, and everyday I do the scripts, and everyday I do at least 3-5 fingerdrops. I also do an extra cd at least once a week of Visualize Your Birth and review my written visuzlization daily.
I feel that I live and breath hypnobabies at this point! I'm totally into it and feel confident its going to work! Its been a huge time committment, and I have been in maintenance for a while, but I still look forward to the scripts.
I have made sure to listen to each script at least once while alert, and listened to them at least once while on the birth ball. Mostly I listen to them at nap time with Bella, but I"m confident that i'm in the state of hypnotic amnesia as I usually always wake up at the count up at the end.

I will let you all know how it goes!!!

~Natalie~

#43 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 PM

I feel like I have slacked a bit in the last couple of weeks, just because I've been really busy, but I do the affirmations every day, and I usually manage five or six scripts out of every seven, plus the Visualize Your Birth script once a week. I'm not great at getting in my fingerdrops, and I hate the way I feel in 'off' (so I do my scripts in 'center'), but I'm hopeful that it will still work.

#44 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post
I've been religious about it. Most days I do affirmations, and everyday I do the scripts, and everyday I do at least 3-5 fingerdrops. I also do an extra cd at least once a week of Visualize Your Birth and review my written visuzlization daily.
I feel that I live and breath hypnobabies at this point! I'm totally into it and feel confident its going to work! Its been a huge time committment, and I have been in maintenance for a while, but I still look forward to the scripts.
I have made sure to listen to each script at least once while alert, and listened to them at least once while on the birth ball. Mostly I listen to them at nap time with Bella, but I"m confident that i'm in the state of hypnotic amnesia as I usually always wake up at the count up at the end.

I will let you all know how it goes!!!
Hey! Now that you mention it, I usually wake up at the count too! Wow, that is cool. Now I feel better.

I'm also inspired to do better. I only have a few more weeks, and I don't want all the time spent thus far to go to waste. Thanks ladies!

#45 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
Hey! Now that you mention it, I usually wake up at the count too! Wow, that is cool. Now I feel better.

I'm also inspired to do better. I only have a few more weeks, and I don't want all the time spent thus far to go to waste. Thanks ladies!
::: Yeah, for inspiration! You can do it mama!

If you are usually waking up at the count too, then you definitely are in hypnotic amnesia Which is awesome, because it means your subconscious brain is getting all those good messages directly to it!

~Natalie~

#46 of 48 Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire View Post
I feel like I have slacked a bit in the last couple of weeks, just because I've been really busy, but I do the affirmations every day, and I usually manage five or six scripts out of every seven, plus the Visualize Your Birth script once a week. I'm not great at getting in my fingerdrops, and I hate the way I feel in 'off' (so I do my scripts in 'center'), but I'm hopeful that it will still work.
Its totally ok to be in center, remember its whatever works BEST FOR YOU!! Sometimes when I'm in off, I get so dang itchy and uncomfortable that I just resign myself to being in center the entire script. Its funny, once my brain knows I'm in center the itchies go away

~Natalie~

#47 of 48 Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Whassup HB peeps?

So I was listening to this show on NPR called Radio Lab- it's a science show and always very interesting. The topic was choices and how we make them, and at one point they discussed "priming." It means using subtle, simple cues to get people to respond the way you want. They put people in rooms and told them they were going to play trivial pursuit. One group was told to think about professors for a few minutes before playing; the other was told to think about "soccer hooligans." The professor group scored significantly higher, and the hooligan group tended to lose.

Another example is an experiement where a guy goes around with a briefcase full of papers and stops people on the street, asking them if they'll do a brief survey. He rifles through his briefcase to pull out the correct papers, and as he does so, he asks the person to hold his cup of coffee for a moment. Then he shows them a picture of a guy named Joe, and asks them if they like the guy. If he had handed them a hot/warm cup of coffee, they're far more likely to say they like Joe than if he gave them iced coffee to hold. Apparently it's because warmth and trust are closely linked in our brains.

ANYWAY, it got me thinking about HypnoBabies. I don't know to what extent it will work for me, but I figure all these hours I've spent "priming" myself to feel positively about birth have GOT to have some kind of a good effect! Neat huh?

#48 of 48 Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM

I've been using it a bit this morning. I have no idea if I'm in labor or experiencing some kind of prodromal thing, but it's actually working so far, so I'm happy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page