Has anyone used hypnobabies before or is anyone planning on using it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm going to use it, but just need to ask a few questions of those who have done it or are planning to do it!! Thanks ahead of time!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
 
RebeccaWo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing Hypnobabies -- first time for me. I think a lot of mamas in this DDC are doing and have done Hypnobabies before. Ask away!

Rebecca, mom to Annie (11/07/2008)
RebeccaWo is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 AM
 
andi-mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The island, BC
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing it too- my pack arrived last week and I plan to start on Monday (24 weeks). I've already started listening to the pregnancy affirmations and they are sooo relaxing!

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

andi-mama is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 AM
 
titania8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: flint, mi
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is hypnobabies different than hypnobirthing? i went to an info meeting about hypnobirthing (at least i think that's what it was). the instructor offers classes for mom and birth companion for $400. that includes 5 classes of 2-2.5 hrs each and all materials. im seriously thinking about it, and will likely do it, mostly to get dh to feel more empowered and connected and relaxed about birth.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
titania8 is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 03:03 AM
 
andi-mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The island, BC
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a difference between the two. I've read that Hypnobabies is "better" and gives you more tools to use the hypnosis during labour. Buutt I've never used either so YMMV

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

andi-mama is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 03:42 AM
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The doula we are planning to use teaches hypnobirthing & so she is an "expert" in it. Unfortunately the classes she teaches are in spanish only so I am not sure if I will take the classes. I may just get the book & cd.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

lifeguard is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Katielady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered my kit last week and it should be arriving this week! Can't wait! I decided to go for it because a) I get very "internal" during labor so I think it'll be a good match for me and b) I might get freaked out about my past c-section during this labor and feel like it would be good to get ahead of those feelings with a lot of active positive thoughts.

As far as the difference, from what I've heard they're both good. H-babies is supposed to be better if you want to study on your own, and it has a lot more relaxation scripts. H-birth is more instructor-oriented, which I can see being a benefit for some people especially if it's your first. I've heard it's a bit more external, with your partner participating and reading scripts to you, as opposed to H-babies which is more self-directed. This is all secondhand info though.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Katielady is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Hypnobabies home study with my DD and will be using it again with the twins. I am extremely pleased with what it did for me. Feel free to ask any questions you want!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
 
emc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was thinking of using it too, sorry if i mini-hijack your thread...

i'm not too into the idea of affirmations, they always strike me as cheesy. and i already know i want to listen to my music playlists while in labor to help me focus, not their tapes. i go to p.n. yoga every week which includes things to do to acclimate your body/mind to labor, so what are the benefits of hypnobabies? where's the greatest strengths? is it just advanced meditation techniques and visualizations? do you really need to listen to the tracks DURING labor to get the benefits?
thanks.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
emc03 is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
 
two bricks shy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing Hypnobabies with this birth. It was highly recommended by our midwife and some friends. I'm really excited because I have seen the relaxation techniques I am practicing already working wonders. I've added a few affirmations and have been starting to work on letting go of some of my fears.

So far I'm loving it. We used Lamaze with DD and quite honestly I felt it did NOTHING, especially after we had to transport and fear came into play.
two bricks shy is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emc03 - I think it depends on what you want to get out of it and whether you have a support person there durring the birth. I did a lot of the yoga and meditation before I started HypnoBabies, and I think it enhanced my ability to do self-hypnosis. The affirmations are okay, I didn't do them at all last time and it didn't deter from my experience. I am trying them this time and am surprised that I like them.

As for your own music - the homestudy (and I think the live class as well) come with scripts that someone could read to you with your own music going in the background. There are also words and phrases - "Peace" and "Release" that someone can say to you to trigger a deepening of hypnosis or to help you relax at crucial moments.

The birth was beautiful! It was 4 hours start to finish, pain free (not the most important thing to me but nice), and so calm! I was so relaxed that my heartrate never went over 80 bpm. In that 4 hour period of time, I listened to one CD, took a shower and got dressed, drove to the hospital, got admitted and checked, all that and no panic or stress.

But honestly, as beautiful and calm as the birth was, the biggest benefit that I saw with the program was during the practice. The CDs helped me stay relaxed and worry free. After each 30-35 minute practice session, I felt like I had taken a 2 hour nap without any of the grogginess. I listen to one now right before I fall asleep and feel like the quality of the sleep is so much better.

The text that comes with the program is a very complete childbirth education course. Most of it was more informative than what I had in the hospital course I took with DS.

Okay this turned much longer than I intended. Any other questions?

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
 
MarchMummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking about trying the hypnobabies home study course this time around, if I can scrape up the $$!!
MarchMummy is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoa!! I didn't get any email notifications that anyone replied to this thread: I will get back on when I don't have a toddler trying to help me type and ask my questions! Thanks ladies!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
 
slinginhipmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Webster NY
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my midwife recommended Hypnobabies so I think I will order the books and CDs and try them out!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
slinginhipmama is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
 
nurnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Im going to start hypnobabies in a couple weeks, I can't wait! I have to concur with other pp's about how it is more self-directed where as hypnobirthing is more of a "class-teacher" thing, but then again I haven't done either yet. Im sure both are good.
nurnur is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 PM
 
leavemealone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not officially in the Nov DDC, but I could birth in late Nov and am interested in Hypnobabies this time around.

What do you do if you don't have someone else to work with you? I am pretty sure my DH won't be a very effective support person to practice with. I am currently planning to have a doula (maybe more for DH than for myself), but I'm not sure how much she would help with Hypnobabies. I know there's a lot you do on your own, but is it something you have to practice with your support person on a regular basis?

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
leavemealone is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, please don't flame me for asking these questions....I'm going to be blunt and honest.

I already have my hypnobabies stuff. I started looking it over and I am totally worried now that I won't be able to buy into it or make it work for me. Here's why:

-Call me immature, but I couldn't help but laugh when my Dh was reading the first script to me in week one. It is just sooooooooo not us, and we both felt silly

-I am the type of person who "calls a spade a spade". All of this alternative language has really made me nervous about the whole program. There's no way I can buy into it. I will always call things what i've always called them. And I don't think I could get my DH, doula, and mw to always say the right words as well. I just can't see myself having a BH ctx, and saying "oh boy, that one doozy of a fake pressure wave"

-I'm nervous about having to constantly listen to or have someone reading me the "scripts" during labor (ahem....I meant 'birthing time').

-I'm nervous that I will have noooooooooooooooooooooooo back up plan as HB really strongly suggests not using any other methods. I mean, those methods like Bradley have worked for many women....it would be nice to have something to fall back on if hb doesn't work out.

-During my first birth, my doula made me index cards with affirmations for me to read. Ummm...I thought they were silly and I never used them. I know affirmations is certainly a chunk of hb right?

Ok, well there you have it...my concerns. I am an analytical and uptight person, and wondering if this can really work for me. Please talk me into hb because I really want it to work as I have seen some amazing HB birth videos and read stories and really think its an awesome program.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, in order here are the best responses I can give with only my experience:
1-My DH never, ever read one of the scripts to me. We both thought it was hokey and never even tried. I think I might have felt different once I was done with the program and in maintenance, but we never tried. So no failure there.

2-When talking to friends and such, I still use all my original language. The alternate language is really meant for people who have fear issues with the language. If contractions=pain to you, stop thinking about contractions. If, like me, you never had a bad association then don't worry about it. I didn't find that it distracted me, I often substituted one word for another. I did switch to saying birthing time, because I like it better than labor.

3-You don't have to listen all the time. You may feel that you want to, but they also teach you ways to go into hypnosis without anywords at all (fingerdrop technique).

4-Honestly, if this doesn't wok I'm not sure what would. Most of the women who report that it "didn't work" for them got distracted by stuff going on at the hospital. I haven't read too many stories of homebirths that had any issues. I would think that other methods would be just as suseptible to distraction. A few also stated that they chose not to use any of their tools, so of course it didn't work. HB just uses hypnosis to focus the relaxation and visualization tools you might learn in another method.

5-I never used the affirmations at all in my first HypnoBabies birth. Didn't seem to affect it.

I am an engineer by trade so highly analytical discribes me quite well. I honestly think it works better for us than for others if we get fully committed to it.

I add more if I get a chance after dinner. HTH!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 AM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, back with another thought or two.

I was completely overwelmed by the program when it first arrived. Would I really be dedicated to it? As it turned out, I used the peices that felt right to me and left the others alone. Still had a great outcome. So if something doesn't feel right, stop doing for a while. Maybe try it a gain later in the program and see if it is better.

The other think to decide right now is what you want out of it. I didn't really care about having a pain-free birth. I wanted calm. I wanted controlled. I wanted peace. So I didn't worry about practicing the things that were meant for pain management. A pleasant side-effect? I had a pain-free birth. Mild discomfort is the strongest words I would use. Complete calm, peaceful, controlled birth is what I ended up with, even through transition. I never lost it.

Okay off to get DD to bed, she's falling asleep on the floor snuggling the dog.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Okay, in order here are the best responses I can give with only my experience:
1-My DH never, ever read one of the scripts to me. We both thought it was hokey and never even tried. I think I might have felt different once I was done with the program and in maintenance, but we never tried. So no failure there.

2-When talking to friends and such, I still use all my original language. The alternate language is really meant for people who have fear issues with the language. If contractions=pain to you, stop thinking about contractions. If, like me, you never had a bad association then don't worry about it. I didn't find that it distracted me, I often substituted one word for another. I did switch to saying birthing time, because I like it better than labor.

3-You don't have to listen all the time. You may feel that you want to, but they also teach you ways to go into hypnosis without anywords at all (fingerdrop technique).

4-Honestly, if this doesn't wok I'm not sure what would. Most of the women who report that it "didn't work" for them got distracted by stuff going on at the hospital. I haven't read too many stories of homebirths that had any issues. I would think that other methods would be just as suseptible to distraction. A few also stated that they chose not to use any of their tools, so of course it didn't work. HB just uses hypnosis to focus the relaxation and visualization tools you might learn in another method.

5-I never used the affirmations at all in my first HypnoBabies birth. Didn't seem to affect it.

I am an engineer by trade so highly analytical discribes me quite well. I honestly think it works better for us than for others if we get fully committed to it.

I add more if I get a chance after dinner. HTH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Okay, back with another thought or two.

I was completely overwelmed by the program when it first arrived. Would I really be dedicated to it? As it turned out, I used the peices that felt right to me and left the others alone. Still had a great outcome. So if something doesn't feel right, stop doing for a while. Maybe try it a gain later in the program and see if it is better.

The other think to decide right now is what you want out of it. I didn't really care about having a pain-free birth. I wanted calm. I wanted controlled. I wanted peace. So I didn't worry about practicing the things that were meant for pain management. A pleasant side-effect? I had a pain-free birth. Mild discomfort is the strongest words I would use. Complete calm, peaceful, controlled birth is what I ended up with, even through transition. I never lost it.

Okay off to get DD to bed, she's falling asleep on the floor snuggling the dog.
: Mama, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond! You have helped me more than words can say, and restored my confidence that I can make this work if I commit it. When you said take what feels right and leave the rest until later then try it again, made me feel so relieved! I am the type of person who would have done the whole program from start to finish, not missing a thing, even if it didn't feel right

Not looking for a pain-free birth, just calm and controlled, just EXACTLY what you said! I do like birthing time instead of labor, definitely stirs more positive feelings in me than saying labor, I may be able to used to that one. And I never had a pain association with the word contraction, so I be able to use that one!

Well , I'm definitely going to give it a go now! You gave me the confidence in the program that I needed to jumpstart it!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another quick question, when should I start? I found this website and it was helpful, but I still prefer personal opinions. I would like to spend two weeks on each section, and not have to be in maintenance for too too long....but I really don't know how long is too long!

Thanks!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
 
nerdymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: too far away from the mountains, VA
Posts: 2,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post
Ok, please don't flame me for asking these questions....I'm going to be blunt and honest. [...]

-I am the type of person who "calls a spade a spade". All of this alternative language has really made me nervous about the whole program. There's no way I can buy into it. I will always call things what i've always called them. And I don't think I could get my DH, doula, and mw to always say the right words as well. I just can't see myself having a BH ctx, and saying "oh boy, that one doozy of a fake pressure wave"

-I'm nervous about having to constantly listen to or have someone reading me the "scripts" during labor (ahem....I meant 'birthing time').
I am taking Hypnobirthing, which I really like a lot. I agree with you on many of your points. There are some things in the classes that DH and I feel a bit foolish and out-of-character doing. However I do appreciate the reasons behind many of their methods, like calling contractions "surges" or "tightenings". There is such a culture of fear surrounding birth that I think for some women who have these strong associations with certain birthing terms these techniques can be quite helpful. For me they seem silly and unnecessary, and DH and I are just letting those things go. The scripts also seem a bit unneccesary to me. I'd much rather turn on some music and go into hypnosis.

I think the point is to practice breathing deep, going inside yourself and not allowing your mind and your fear interrupt your body's birthing process. The materials you use are merely to enable you to do that. The class can also be quite good for your partner, to help him feel involved. I don't know about hypnobabies, but hypnobirthing teaches the partner some massage techniques (far more practical adn fun to practice than scripts I think, lol) as well as how to prompt the mother into going deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
*snip!*!
:

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
nerdymom is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
 
nerdymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: too far away from the mountains, VA
Posts: 2,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post
Another quick question, when should I start? I found this website and it was helpful, but I still prefer personal opinions. I would like to spend two weeks on each section, and not have to be in maintenance for too too long....but I really don't know how long is too long!

Thanks!
I've heard the sooner the better, because the more you practice the relaxation techniques, the more you will be able to own them and adapt them to feel comfortable to you.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
nerdymom is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
 
emc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thank you so much, mama c. that completely answered my questions! i was just speaking with a coworker about this and remembered i posted those issues.

i think i'll pop for the home study. besides, i think dh really needs a structure to build off of so he feels prepared for the birth too and what his role is/my expectations are. this should help open up the discussion.

thanks!!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
emc03 is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
 
emc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i actually went back and read through instead of skimming.

1) i'm the same: analytical, practical, call it as i see it. natalie, i see you're outside chicago, that's where i'm from. wonder if it's a midwestern thing?
but i would approach the same way, so it's good to hear someone who used it say it works even if you go ahead and separate the wheat from the chaff, what's usable from what's not.

2) i totally agree with using this to help dh too. i think he needs this as much as i. we were just talking last night and he said he might just step back and defer to my sister and midwife if i get "stuck" or stubborn about giving up. NOOOOOO!!!! we SO need to talk about what exactly his role is!

3) like the comment about perception and the words used in the scripts. i don't mind labor, b/c it reminds me my job is to birth the child. that requires a commitment to that responsibility and i always do my job well. but it's a good point that sometimes the way we talk about things reveals more about our belief than we know....

wow, this turned out to be one hell of a good thread!! thanks everyone!!


Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
emc03 is offline  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc03 View Post
i actually went back and read through instead of skimming.

1) i'm the same: analytical, practical, call it as i see it. natalie, i see you're outside chicago, that's where i'm from. wonder if it's a midwestern thing?
but i would approach the same way, so it's good to hear someone who used it say it works even if you go ahead and separate the wheat from the chaff, what's usable from what's not.

2) i totally agree with using this to help dh too. i think he needs this as much as i. we were just talking last night and he said he might just step back and defer to my sister and midwife if i get "stuck" or stubborn about giving up. NOOOOOO!!!! we SO need to talk about what exactly his role is!

3) like the comment about perception and the words used in the scripts. i don't mind labor, b/c it reminds me my job is to birth the child. that requires a commitment to that responsibility and i always do my job well. but it's a good point that sometimes the way we talk about things reveals more about our belief than we know....

wow, this turned out to be one hell of a good thread!! thanks everyone!!

Right on mama!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
 
mochimama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is the first I've heard of hypnobabies, but it sounds like something I need. I'm a bit high stress (as well as analytical like the rest of you all) and wonder if I am capable of a pain-free controlled birth. This sounds like heaven to me. A couple of additional questions:
1. Do you think it's worth the $139? I saw a couple on ebay, but it looks like the bidding will go almost that high.
2. Do you think the techniques might be usable outside of the birth process? I'd definitely like to use it during birth, but I could use some stress reduction overall in my life.
Thanks!
mochimama is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post
Another quick question, when should I start? I found this website and it was helpful, but I still prefer personal opinions. I would like to spend two weeks on each section, and not have to be in maintenance for too too long....but I really don't know how long is too long!

Thanks!
Some people do experience burnout, so you might not want to start too early. It is a 5 week program, or 10 weeks if you do it 2 weeks per lesson. If you do the 2-week/lesson version, I would start no later than 28 weeks, but probably no earlier than 24 weeks. If you want to see some of the benefits before starting the whole program you could try a few of the other discs (like the sleep NOW disc):

http://www.hypnobabies.com/page/stor...ectant-mothers

Since I have done this before, I am debating when to start. I am listening to the Birthing Your Twins Naturally disc every night and the Sleep Now disc as needed. I won't start the regular program until at least 24 weeks, but probably 28 weeks.

ETA: If you want more than just my opinion, I would strongly suggest joining the Yahoo group. There are some wonderful women there including some of the instructors/doulas. There are also some common "issues" that come up that almost everyone experiences, like an intense restless feeling a week or two into the practice. IF you aren't expecting it, you might be really worried.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochimama View Post
This thread is the first I've heard of hypnobabies, but it sounds like something I need. I'm a bit high stress (as well as analytical like the rest of you all) and wonder if I am capable of a pain-free controlled birth. This sounds like heaven to me. A couple of additional questions:
1. Do you think it's worth the $139? I saw a couple on ebay, but it looks like the bidding will go almost that high.
2. Do you think the techniques might be usable outside of the birth process? I'd definitely like to use it during birth, but I could use some stress reduction overall in my life.
Thanks!
1 - I think it is totally worth the $$. If you have financial issues, they do sell used courses at a reduced rate. I would be careful with the Ebay versions. I am a member of the Yahoo group and there were 4-5 ladies there last year who bought the course off Ebay and then found out it was missing vital pieces, like most of the workbook or missing CDs.

2- I used the finger drop technique to relax and go to sleep for months after DD was born. They have a Sleep CD that is for everyone. Another option might be some guided imagery tracks, like they sell at Health Journeys:

http://www.healthjourneys.com/Catego...id=18&catid=43

A few of their titles are available from Kaiser Permanente:

https://members.kaiserpermanente.org/redirects/listen/

I have not tried these yet, but I suggested the sleep track to one of the guys at work and he seriously raves about it. He was getting 4-5 hours per night and feeling tired. Now he get 7-8 hours and wakes up feeling rested.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
natalieadw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice! I love the sleep now cd's (and I could really really use it) but I just can't see spending that much on a CD after forking over the full price for the system. Too bad something like that isn't included.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

natalieadw is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off