anyone else with thyroid problems? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and i'm having trouble finding a good way to take my Synthroid. When I wake up in the morning, I can't wait 2 hours before eating, but then i'm having dairy all day, and then I have to take my prenatals, calcium, and fish oil. About the only time that works is right before bed, but that's hard to remember and sometimes requires a glass of milk to keep my stomach from rumbling. My TSH appears to be holding steady at 1.75, which is great, since it fluctuated a lot more in my last pregnancy, so I guess the night time dosing works.

Anybody else pregnant with thyroid issues? Such a pain!
#2 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Yea I have thyroid issues! I have since 3rd grade. I went off of my medicine for a couple years, and went and had it tested as soon as I found out I was pregnant. My TSH was almost 15... oops! It's mostly level now, although they just raised my dose a bit. But I have to admit, I don't always take it on an empty stomach. I take it right before I go to sleep along with my prenatals. I do my best to take it on an empty stomach, but better to take it on a full stomach than not at all!

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

It is suspected that I may have hyperthyroid issues. I have a heart condition, but I started having major palpatations when I got pg. My bloodwork is normal, but they found nodules on my thyroid when they did an u/s on it. I can not do the iodine uptake test until after the baby comes. I am scared it is hyper and I won't be able to BF. The hope I have right now is that the palpatations have really subsided. It could just be pregnancy related and not thyroid.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#4 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM

My husband is our picking up my Levothyroxine right now. I take mine in the morning because the only way I can remember to take it is if I do so right after I brush my teeth. I realize that this is not the best time, since I eat soon afterward, but it is far better than not taking it at all, which was what was happening when I tried to take it before bed.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#5 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 PM

I have Hashimotos too. What's working for me now is to put out the Synthroid every night with water on my night stand. I always wake up between 3 and 5am to use the bathroom, so I take it then. The key for me is being very consistent about putting it on my nightstand before I go to bed, because otherwise I wouldn't rememember in the morning whether or not I took it. (I'm not too coherent in the wee hours of the morning!)
#6 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 AM

Hi,

I have Hashis too. I take Armour and I take half dose in the am as soon as I wake, then the other in the pm just before bed. I usually go straight to my home office for at least an hour before eating, but I never really worried too much about it if I needed to eat sooner. We keep very close tabs on my labs and my eating close to a dose has never seemed to hurt anything. I don't forget very often because I know how horrible I felt before getting treated properly. I never want to feel that way again.

Good luck. It sounds like your bed time dose will work out good for you once you get into a routine

Tammy
#7 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM

I don't have thyroid issues but I wanted to say that I have a routine for taking my vitamins and that has really helped me to remember. When I put my son in bed, I go straight to my bedroom, turn on his monitor and then go into the bathroom and lay out my vitamins for the next day. They are there on the counter for me to remember and take after I brush my teeth. I almost never forget a vitamin this way.

I like the idea that mmomosedc had about putting the medicine on the nightstand too. Same concept I guess. Or you could try getting one of those pill containers that have the days of the week printed on them. You just fill that up once a week and then you would know if you took it or not for that day.

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#8 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 AM

Hi mamas!

I have Graves' Disease (which is usually manifest as hyperthyroidism) but fortunately, like many autoimmune diseases, it goes into remission during pregnancy (goes crazy again afterward, but that's another story!) Anyway a few of us were talking about thyroid issues here before - there's another mama with Graves' here and we were comparing notes about extra monitoring, etc. during pregnancy. I'm seeing a perinatologist for consults and extra tests, etc., because I'm considered moderately high-risk despite my levels being normal right now (evidently there's an increased risk of problems with the baby because of tithyroid antibodies of Graves', even if the hormone levels are normal). Anyway, they always scare me, but thankfully all my kids have been perfectly healthy so far! I agree to the extra monitoring just to be safe, though, since it's really not anything invasive. However, my new doc wants to induce me at 39 weeks (or at least at 40, doesn't want me to go overdue) so I'm currently researching that on my own & planning to get a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_vie_en_rose View Post
It is suspected that I may have hyperthyroid issues. I have a heart condition, but I started having major palpatations when I got pg. My bloodwork is normal, but they found nodules on my thyroid when they did an u/s on it. I can not do the iodine uptake test until after the baby comes. I am scared it is hyper and I won't be able to BF. The hope I have right now is that the palpatations have really subsided. It could just be pregnancy related and not thyroid.
Even if you are hyperthyroid, there's no reason you can't BF!! I've been hyperthyroid for years and I've been BFing one or two kids for almost 6 years straight! The drug that I take when I'm overactive, PTU, if safe during pregnancy AND lactation.

I've always refused the iodine, both the tests and the treatments that use it - I've never been willing to stop BFing or avoid getting pg when there are other tests that can tell you the same thing, and other treatments that work just fine for now. When my childbearing and nursing years are over, I might consider it then. That's just me personally though - my mother has Graves' as well, and she chose to have the iodine.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#9 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I was so thankful to learn I could and should BF despite the thyroid issues! My daughter and I had a wonderful nursing relationship, and I can't wait to develop the same with the new babe. My mom was hyperthyroid when she had me, and they wouldn't let her nurse, and she is still very upset about it to this day, especially after learning that it was possible all along. Yay for modern medicine, eh?
#10 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Well of course you want to talk to your endocrinologist about it, but if they tell you not to BF you should DEFINITELY get a second opinion! As long as you're not doing the radioactive iodine, there's no problem. The drug they usually prescribe to lower your thyroid levels, PTU, is rated lactation category L2 which is the second-safest category (pretty much the only thing in L1 is Tylenol - LOL). Sometimes they want to test the baby's thyroid level periodically when you're on PTU just to make sure, but usually they don't even do that.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#11 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the input BFing concerns. That was my biggest fear. I have been BFing for almost 5yrs and would be devestated if I had to stop with DD2 and this new baby.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#12 of 13 Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 AM

I know this thread is old, but I just have to chime in and say that I have been Hyper and Hypo, just recently diagnosed with hashi's, and my DS is 31 months, and is still bfed, and was all through the lovely thyroid junk : I saw my midwife mainly through this all, but did follow up with an endo, and only once did bfing come up, when we were talking about treatment options, this one in particular was not compatable with bfing, but she was a bfing friendly endo, and we just monitered my symptoms closely with no med's (until now, but that's a different story!).
#13 of 13 Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Yes, this thread is old, but maybe it will help another mommy.

I had Grave's Disease too, and breastfed while taking PTU. Get a 2nd opinion! There is evidence that if you are lactation, a large percentage of the radiation goes straight to your breast tissue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page