Mothering Forum banner

Pubic bone pain

835 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ma_vie_en_rose 
#1 ·
Anyone else dealing with intense pubic bone pain? It has been mild but consistent for me for a couple months. Tonight it is really, really intense. I think it was brought on from holding my toddler a lot today.

I have been looking up info on how to deal with this and came across Symphysis pubic dysfunction (SPD). I am going to call my chiro tomorrow about getting adjusted and see if that helps at all. In the meantime, I am bed bound. Luckily, DH has been very helpful tonight.

#2 ·
I've had it horribly. Physical therapy actually worked better because they gave me some regular exercises to do (6 or 7 times a day) that keep my pubic bone and pelvic bones in the correct places. I feel like a new woman since then!

#6 ·
I stared having it a couple days ago...pretty mild. Then I rearranged the entire basement yesterday by myself and woke up this morning with terrible pain in my pubic bone. what exercies did you all find helpful?

#7 ·
I'm having some new pains in the pubic bones and saddle area, but i'm guessing it has more to do with 3 hours on an airplane, 2 hours standing in line for customs, and 1 hour running around the airport to find baggage. By the end, I was waddling.
I would be practicing lots of rest, but with a busy toddler, that's just not an option. Still, i'll be mentioning it to my midwife at my appointment on Friday, and if she wants to refer me to a chiropractor, I will give her a very big hug.

#8 ·
I lay on my back with my legs in the taylor/butterfly position (knees apart, heels together) and dh stands in front of me and puts his hands on my knees and pushes my legs in a downward and forward smooth motion toward my pubic bone. Then I put my feet on the floor with my knees up and do a few sets of resistance exercises to help strengthen the area. He puts his hands on the outside of my knees and I push out, hands on inside and I squeeze in. Then I lay my legs straight on the floor and he lifts one up at a time under the ankle and I push down and then he puts his hands on top of my ankle and I try to raise them up, one at a time though. It's all described in the book "Reliveing Pelvic Pain Before and After Pregnancy" It's a great book.

I actually just went to the Chiro for the first time yesterday and she told me I was doing a good job for not even really needing to have to come in till now considering my last two pregnancys
I was so proud
I hope this helps but if your going to the Chiropractor, I would ask them about these exercises because so many problems in the hips and pubic area can be linked to other parts of the body being out (especially the collor bone) and those places really need to be addressed first. GL!

#9 ·
I had it last pregnancy but have not had it this time around. I'm not as physical as I was last time around...maybe it'll hit me anyway later on, not sure when it began.

I saw a chiro about it and it really didn't help me much. Delivery helped though!

#10 ·
yep, dealing with pubic pain here too, I have seen a chiro for most of the preg and that helped a lot but she is out on mat. leave herself so Ill have to go somewhere else for a couple months till she is back. This is new for me, since my last baby which was my first vaginal birth things are very different. I keep thinking that maybe since my pubic bone did the hard work last time it will spread much easier for this baby!!! I do find that lots of being on my feet and walking bring it on much worse.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post
I lay on my back with my legs in the taylor/butterfly position (knees apart, heels together) and dh stands in front of me and puts his hands on my knees and pushes my legs in a downward and forward smooth motion toward my pubic bone. Then I put my feet on the floor with my knees up and do a few sets of resistance exercises to help strengthen the area. He puts his hands on the outside of my knees and I push out, hands on inside and I squeeze in. Then I lay my legs straight on the floor and he lifts one up at a time under the ankle and I push down and then he puts his hands on top of my ankle and I try to raise them up, one at a time though. It's all described in the book "Reliveing Pelvic Pain Before and After Pregnancy" It's a great book.

I actually just went to the Chiro for the first time yesterday and she told me I was doing a good job for not even really needing to have to come in till now considering my last two pregnancys
I was so proud
I hope this helps but if your going to the Chiropractor, I would ask them about these exercises because so many problems in the hips and pubic area can be linked to other parts of the body being out (especially the collor bone) and those places really need to be addressed first. GL!

Thank you! I am going find that book and try these exercises. I also did a search in the pregnancy archives and found a modified downward dog position (get on all fours, put your head in your hands, slightly extend the legs while rocking the hips). I tried that last night, and it seemed to take some pressure off and offered some mild relief to the point that I could walk upright but still in pain.

#13 ·
The exercise I do to keep my pelvis in place (each piece rocks forward locking my hips in place, one goes more forward than the other making me walk with a limp) are really simple, almost seeming too simple.

Stand in front of a chair.

Put one foot up on the seat of the chair.

Connect your hands under your thigh up towards the knee.

Push your foot as hard as you can into the chair while simultaneously pulling up on your thigh with your hands for a count of 5.

Repeat 3 times, alternating legs (total 6 exercises, supposed to be performed 6 to 7 times a day).

As for the pubic symphasis pain-lay flat on the bed with knees up. Have hubby or someone pull on your knees outward, while you pull inward with the leg muscles for a long as possible.

They sound so simple, but it's greatly reduced my pain, almost down to nothing now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.