No Names? Anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm starting to get a little worried at this point. My DH and I have not come up with anything we can agree one. I barely have a couple "maybes". I just hope we come up with something-at least a list to choose from by Nov.
Side note- Any good name websites?

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me too. We have a short list of boy names, but the girl name field is wide open. And as DD insists I'm having a girl, we'd better come up with something soon. Any suggestions?

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
#3 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM

Everyone thinks we're having a boy - and we DO have a boy name.
However, if this baby is a lil girl, she might end up nameless!
#4 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Yeah, we have no idea either. This baby could be here 4 weeks from now and at least we'll be at home so there's no hurry (unlike last time when we needed to rush his birth cert. to get his passport) but I don't want a nameless baby... the longer we leave it the harder it will be to decide.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#5 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 AM

DH and I are still duking it out over the middle name(s). We've had a first name for a while now though.

The baby names search engine at The Cradle is pretty cool: http://www.thecradle.com/babynames/search

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM

Yep, very few ideas here, too. We know she's probably a girl, so at least we don't have to work on names for both sexes, though if it's a boy, we both agree on Erik... funny that we agree on the name that the baby probably won't get!

But girl names... we're stumped. We both have a couple that we like, but somehow we just never spend time discussing it.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#7 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah, another nameless baby here.

thanks for the link. here is another one.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#8 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booflies View Post
Everyone thinks we're having a boy - and we DO have a boy name.
However, if this baby is a lil girl, she might end up nameless!
Same here!

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#9 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM

I have a name I am set on, but DH won't agree to it...yet. I can't even look at other names at this point, and DH has been no help. So, we are still very up in the air over a name.

I like the book The Baby Name Bible. It has a great list of cool, unusual, and not crazy popular names.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#10 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM

we have a list on the fridge, but no front runners!

love the cradle link! thank you very much!

would you all think i was weird if i named my daughter Oona Snow?

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#11 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM

We've agreed on a boys name 100%, but DH and I are hopelessly dead-locked on a girls name. As the U/S says we're 70% positively having another girl I fear she'll be nameless for awhile. I'm trying not to stress about it...

We bought the 100,000 Baby Names book and it's useless...sorry I'm not much help!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#12 of 27 Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 PM

I think this baby has a name, but hate to say for sure until we meet her. BUT, we did not have a name for DD until she was born. I printed a list of names to look over at dinner the night before I was induced. We did end up naming her And pretty quickly after birth at that.

My advice, don't stress And check out the nymbler site titania posted the link to... very cool.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#13 of 27 Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Don't stress, you'll probably look at your baby and say "Oh, it's YOU!" It's such an important thing, to give someone something they'll have forever, so I totally understand taking all the time you need to figure out the name!

DH and I are weird about it, we've had all 3 kids named by 16-18 weeks, and start calling them by that name right away. Now, the whole family is talking about Charlie (mom keeps teasing me and calling him "Chuckie" hee hee).

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#14 of 27 Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Oh my god. We were all set, I thought, with Rose....now DH is down on it and wants to pick a new one. I get so stressed about the name thing with him! He likes so few names...it's like I'll suggest a list of 10, all of which I'd be happy with, and he shoots them all down and *maybe* suggests one.

It's making me upset all over again that he ruled out my favorite names- Fiona, Maya, and Lily.

He likes Leah...I only like it spelled Leia, it looks more feminine to me that way. But will that be interpreted as a Star Wars reference?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#15 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM

at the end of the day, we still want to see our new little bundle before we name her!!
i was sure i was going to name my son Zane, but he looked more like a Waylon when we finally met him in person!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#16 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Here's another link. I like it because it tells you the popularity of the name over the years.
Good luck!
#17 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Arg. We are so stuck.

DD1: found her name 1 1/2 yrs before I was even pregnant, just had to talk dh into it, and that was done by 5 1/2 months.

DD2: We can't find a name we both like, and dh has just stuck his head in the sand. I am going CRAZY b/c I want to talk to her and about her using her name, like I did with dd1.

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

#18 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeonend View Post
Arg. We are so stuck.

DD1: found her name 1 1/2 yrs before I was even pregnant, just had to talk dh into it, and that was done by 5 1/2 months.

DD2: We can't find a name we both like, and dh has just stuck his head in the sand. I am going CRAZY b/c I want to talk to her and about her using her name, like I did with dd1.
I know! There's a part in one of my hypnobabies scripts where you imagine holding your baby, and it says, "Talk to your baby- say your baby's name." I had been saying Rose, and now I get so frustrated every time I get to that part of the script! Grrr!

I sent DH a bunch of name sites today and asked him to come up with some names. If he doesn't do that over the next few days I'm going to be more forceful about it and give him homework- 10 names in a week. I can't handle this pattern we have where I struggle to find names and get all excited about them and then he's just like, "Nah." :::!!!!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#19 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
He likes Leah...I only like it spelled Leia, it looks more feminine to me that way. But will that be interpreted as a Star Wars reference?
Yes. I'm very sorry.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#20 of 27 Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM

We just talked about this on the weekend and agree that he probably won't have a name until after we meet him. See what he looks like, feel out his (nebulous, newborn) personality.
#21 of 27 Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM

We haven't even talked about names yet. It's been easy not to, because The Boy named the baby Trevor as soon as he found out I was pregnant (Trevor is the name of an engine on Thomas the Tank Engine, and also the name that The Boy chose for his imaginary baby brother when he started talking something like 18 months ago--when we told him there was a baby in my tummy he said "You mean Trevor's in there right now???"). So we've been referring to the baby as Trevor for the entire pregnancy, even though we don't know the gender and we have no idea if it's a boy or a girl. It's made it really easy to not even talk about names. DH did say the other day (now that I'm 36 weeks!) that we should probably talk about names, but that was as we were both on the way out the door to work, and that's the closest we've come to name discussions!

I'm hoping that Trevor comes out talking and will tell us what his/her name is, otherwise he/she may be nameless for a while!
#22 of 27 Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Still no name here either and I am starting to get nervous. I decided I'm ok with having some choices and then waiting to see what she looks like, but we don't even have choices yet! I have a couple ideas myself but I keep falling in and out of love with all of them. And my DH doesn't comment if I mention names to him. He just shrugs and says, "yeah, it's ok." :

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#23 of 27 Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehalo View Post
Still no name here either and I am starting to get nervous. I decided I'm ok with having some choices and then waiting to see what she looks like, but we don't even have choices yet! I have a couple ideas myself but I keep falling in and out of love with all of them. And my DH doesn't comment if I mention names to him. He just shrugs and says, "yeah, it's ok." :
Seems to be a common DH thing. My mom says that when they were thinking of names for me, they agreed on girls' names OK, but that my dad kept dismissing all boy names she suggested as "too wimpy." Then finally she suggested John, which is my dad's father's name. His proclamation: "I guess I could live with that." That was as good as it got as far as endorsements from him. Men!

p.s. I've come up with a new, slightly risky strategy. I've noticed, both pregnancies, that my DH will like a name, and then the longer he sits with it the more likely he is to sour on it. There are SO MANY names that he initially liked, then 4-6 weeks later completely rejected, never to be OK with again. So now I have a secret name picked out, but I'm not going to mention it until a few weeks before the baby is due. Hopefully he'll like it (and I think I remember him liking it back when I was pregnant the first time) and then won't have enough time to come up with some ridiculous reason to rule it out. Then of course once it's our real live baby's actual name he'll just come to love it more and more. It's a plan! Crazy? We'll see!

#24 of 27 Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I'm nervous b/c we chose a name, shared it and now we're backpeddling. Big oops!

We both agreed on Maria Corazon after my grandma.

But I've wanted to carry on the tradition of Marie as the girl's middle name (this is coincidentally a tradition on his side and my side of the family and both our mothers have this as their middle name).

So I thought Corazon Marie would be a good compromise, except that it is very nontraditional. (Kind of like saying Evans Bob instead of Bob Evans).

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#25 of 27 Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 PM

None here either. I have an idea of one I like but we haven't had an official talk about it. With ds2 I finally cornered dh at 37 weeks and said "look, we could have a nameless baby tomorrow...lets make a list and start crossing it off NOW!" and we settled on a name that night.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#26 of 27 Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Oooh, ladies, I'm playing it *so* cool...DH has said several times now, "We need a name for her." And I either say calmly, "Mmm-hmm!" or I suggest a silly name. He's getting nervous. He's right where I want him! Muhahaha!

Seriously, I think this waiting thing is going to work well for us. Before, it was like I was bugging him every time I brought up the name issue. Now, by the time I finally talk with him about it, he'll be ready and willing. Then BAM, I hit him with my whole huge list of names, and something's gotta click.

#27 of 27 Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
Oooh, ladies, I'm playing it *so* cool...DH has said several times now, "We need a name for her." And I either say calmly, "Mmm-hmm!" or I suggest a silly name. He's getting nervous. He's right where I want him! Muhahaha!

Seriously, I think this waiting thing is going to work well for us. Before, it was like I was bugging him every time I brought up the name issue. Now, by the time I finally talk with him about it, he'll be ready and willing. Then BAM, I hit him with my whole huge list of names, and something's gotta click.
Yeah, I had to stop bringing it up with DH, too. I have noticed, though, that he has refered to her as Baby Violet (the name I am pushing) on occasion with the girls. I am hoping that is a very good sign.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page