Music for labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What music are you going to play during labor?

Slow music, fast music, strong rhythems, or calming melodies?

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM

During my first labor I listen to my favorite cd at the time, Death Cab for Cutie and also Pcabel's Canon set to water waves. Very different. I have no idea what I want to listen to this time, but since I will be at home, I can just tell my husband to put on whatever strikes me in the moment.

Music was very important to me in labor, btw.
#3 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Last time I just wanted silence. This time I'm thinking about putting some stuff on my MP3 player but I'm not sure what yet. I like a lot of Enya stuff so maybe some of that, and some soothing nature sounding stuff. But probably also some of my all time favorites that are upbeat and happy.

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#4 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Probably nothing. Last time, I needed complete silence. I was even "shhhing" the dr. and nurse when they were whispering while in transition/pushing. I am one of those "zone" mamas. Even now, with the cramps and contractions, I get into the zone when they are really uncomfortable.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#5 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I like "Shamanic Dream" by Anugama- I've played it for clients and it melts nicely into the background while creating a soothing yet powerful vibe. I'll probably give that a try.

Also, this is just one song from a Putumayo CD but I have it on my "Birth Mix" playlist and love it so much- the song is "Quingauiit" and the artist is Tudjaat. It's a group of Eskimo women singing, and it's just so full of female spirit and power.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#6 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 PM

This is funny but lately I've been thinking I'll want to hear some Dire Straits while in labor. Don't know why... I didn't listen to music either time I was in labor before.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#7 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 PM

My list so far is pretty short. I need to work on that. I don't know that I'll end up remembering it during labor (I didn't last time).

so far I have -

Don't Be Shy, Cat Stevens
Firefly Theme, from, well, Firefly
Defying Gravity, from Wicked
Hard-Headed Woman, Cat Stevens (apparently I'm having Cat Stevens' baby??)

And, of course, what labor/birth playlist is complete without Johnny Cash and Ring of Fire?

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#8 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Patchfire, I LOVE your playlist!!!LOL And who wouldn't want to have Cat Stevens baby?
Ring of fire, I LOVE it!!If I actually thought of that song last time at that moment, I'd almost loose my focus!

During my LOOOOONGest labor we ended up playing Bob Dylan's time out of mind, the whole album-NOT a good choice!!!!!It seemed fine at the time, after 10 hours of labor,but hearing it on the birth video is so not a happy birth vibe...

I like Adaawe,some yoga stuff,Jimmi Hendrix,U2,early on, maybe some Joan Baez...Odetta...but I doubt I'll have anything playing.my mood changes too fast, and nothing would seem right about 1/2 way through....

Maybe NPR!

:::
#9 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I have no idea if I'll want total silence or something to kind of help me get into a rhythm. I could see myself listening to anything from Bach to Roxy Music to Yeasayer to Mariee Sioux. I guess I'll have to...play it by ear.

*cymbals*

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#10 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM

I plan on listening to siquor rose (sp?) Probably just everything on the CD because its toooo peaceful

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#11 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 PM

I bought a cd at Target (in their section where you can preview the CDs). It's called Celtic Music for Stress Relief. I really really love it. It's nice because I like all the songs on it and don't have to pick out ones that I don't like for labor.

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#12 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM

I made a playlist at playlist.com for my labor music. I've included Rusted Root, Van Morrison, Enya and some Bob Marley... that's as far as I've gotten so far.

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#13 of 26 Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks mommas, i think i will go to my itunes now and make a few different list, i want one up beat and one calming and i think i want a few specific songs for pushing, baby emerging.

what a nice way to procrastinate doing homework,
#14 of 26 Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM

DH and I make playlists for one another as an 'I love you' thing so he has been loading up his iPod with playlists for me and being all secretive about it Ahhh he is soooo darn cute! Anywho, he has good musical taste so I am looking forward to a surprise.
As backup I am making some playlists on my iPod with all-female vocals (Some Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Annie Lenox, Ani Difranco, Sarah McLachlan...etc.) in the hopes of channeling some femme power

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#15 of 26 Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
This is funny but lately I've been thinking I'll want to hear some Dire Straits while in labor. Don't know why... I didn't listen to music either time I was in labor before.
Yes, YES!!!!! OMG I am laughing so hard!! Among others, "Alchemy Live" by Dire Straits is coming with us as well as "Brothers in Arms". Mark Knopfler's voice can put me in a trance and I really can zone out to "Telegraph Road" on Alchemy Live. When I was in Jr high and HS I used to listen to Brothers in Arms to fall asleep, especially side 2.

Augs I feel like I could hug you right now :

In early labor my doula and I are planning on rocking out together to 80s music because we both obviously were the girls in school who could sing along to every song in the mirror, using our hairbrushes as a microphone. I just need to find a good 80s CD.

My DP and I both love Dar Williams, so quite possibly some Dar (but not the songs that make me bawl, like "The One Who Knows" or "February" which is my personal classic break-up song), some Indigo Girls, some Dixie Chicks, etc... eta: dude! yeah! darkblue! Sarah McLachlan!!

In my first pregnancy, one of my biggest cravings was not for food but for Billy Joel??? I made DP go out and buy his 4-CD best of set which was no small chunk of change, but it was like a physical NEED. So some of that too...?

Beyond that, I might have to crank some raucous ska, lots of CAKE, Brother Ali and my absolutely favorite German hip-hop group Die Fantastischen Vier just to torture my DP because she will have to give in to my music choices for once. Tee hee! (Horrible, aren't I?)

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#16 of 26 Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM

I'll have my iPod, but we're taking a few cds with us as well should I not want to risk taking my iPod with me in the tub at the birthing center:

Enya (lots of Enya)
Rusted Root
Fiona Apple
African drumming music
Middle-eastern chanting
Ocean and whale songs
#17 of 26 Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 PM

I forgot to add Dropkick Murphy's... strange I know but I love their "kick your *ss" attitude! I think I'll need some inspiration and motivation!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#18 of 26 Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Yes, YES!!!!! OMG I am laughing so hard!! Among others, "Alchemy Live" by Dire Straits is coming with us as well as "Brothers in Arms".

Augs I feel like I could hug you right now :
I never thought that someone would agree with me on the dire straits thought. Sweet!!! But I have always loved the song "Sultans of Swing" and I can see that rythym/beat being great as a distractor or way to focus. I also have been thinking maybe some Creedence and some celtic music.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#19 of 26 Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Im working on music too, and hoping I won't need 12 hours worth this time.

Last time: Sara M.
Enya
Willi Nelson native instrumental work
oh there was more but thats what I could think of this morn....

I love when people suggest song titles so I can go listen....so suggest away!
this mama wants an IPOD sooooo bad but it looks like another cd stacker labor for me with the $$$ sitution and baby coming before Christmas!
#20 of 26 Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 PM

ack, another thing i need to do!

um...different playlists, pumped up music, chilled out, etc.

miles davis, india arie, harry connick jr., caliphone, morphine (closest i'm getting to drugs, hehe), charlie parker, jill scott, missy elliot,....dang, i need to get to work!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#21 of 26 Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 PM

See, I was thinking of some Hooverphonic, Delerium, Niyaz, Madonna (her high energy techno-y stuff). It's soothing and energetic all at once. One of my favorites right now is Delerium's "Stopwatch Hearts". You can listen to it on this really strange youtube video.

If you want to hear all sorts of good music go to pandora.com. Enter a favorite band, or a new artist you're interested in, and the "music genome project" will play a customized radio station featuring whatever you select. It's pretty awesome. I've been introduced to all sorts of world music I would have never heard otherwise, like the Iranian band Niyaz, whose lead vocalist, Azam Ali, is so talented and wonderful.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#22 of 26 Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM

In my first labor the two things about music I remember vividly were loving rocking out to The Band (and that was probably around 24 hours into it, so it kind of perked me up) and absolutely hating it when my husband decided to throw in some classical while I was in transition and not really able to communicate my displeasure... maybe part of the reason it irritated me was that he was falling asleep to it.. if I couldn't sleep, then I didn't want him to either

I like a lot of the suggestions, I'd been thinking about Rusted Root too, maybe some Ani Difranco and some Tori Amos, I'd also thought of Odetta too, it's cool to see that other people have some of the same ideas
#23 of 26 Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamae View Post
... maybe ... some Tori Amos...
Wow, "Little Earthquakes" would be really appropriate in labor, wouldn't it? It's totally about contractions! "Oooooooooh, these little earthquakes / heeeeeeeere we go again..."

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#24 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM

what songs by Ani Di Franco are you thinking?

just listened to God Speed/Sweet Dreams by Dixie Chics....that one has gotta be on my labor playlist!
#25 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=nerdymom;12261179] One of my favorites right now is Delerium's "Stopwatch Hearts". You can listen to it on this really strange youtube video.
QUOTE]

my 11 year old son just loves this vid ! thanks! he already fights me for "his" turn on the pc, now he just looks over my shoulder waiting to see if Im gonna go to something cool that he would like!
#26 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=nurnur;12277154]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
One of my favorites right now is Delerium's "Stopwatch Hearts". You can listen to it on this really strange youtube video.
QUOTE]

my 11 year old son just loves this vid ! thanks! he already fights me for "his" turn on the pc, now he just looks over my shoulder waiting to see if Im gonna go to something cool that he would like!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page