Skin tags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have skin tags in my armpits and on my aerolas. The ones on my aerolas tend to disappear, but not the ones on my arm pits. I am hoping they will go away after birth. Even dd(who nurses) has one her chin.

Has anyone experienced this before and did they go away?

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#2 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM

I know that they tend to be hormonal...women with PCOS have a tendency to get them. Which is not to say you have PCOS, but just to say that it's a hormonally-based phenomenon.

My guess would be that they'll go away postpartum, as your hormones get back to a more normal state. Kind of like acne and other skin changes that happen. But I'm pretty much just talking out of my butt on this one.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM

I got quite a few skin tags when pregnant with DD.
They mostly went away.
They annoyed the heck out of me at the time, though.
#4 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM

I had them with my son and they didn't go away 3 months PP so I had them removed at a dermatologist's office. I have KP too, so I sort of expected to get skin tags.
#5 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 06:21 PM

yep, me too. i had one but now i have a few. the dermatologist can remove them if they stay and they bother you. my niece had one on her nose, right on the tip and it took literally a minute to get rid of it.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#6 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 PM

They may improve after pregnancy (I'm hoping mine do) but if not you can cut them off with a sharp, sterilized pair of manicure scissors. Not that I'd do anything like that. :

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#7 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Neither would I *crosses fingers behind back*

Mind you, they were teeny little things
#8 of 10 Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 AM

I get one somewhere with each pregnancy. My daughter's is on my back and with my son it was under my eye. After he was born I think I scratched it off in my sleep. I woke up one morning and it was gone. With this baby it's under my arm and the one under my eye has started to come back but it's barely visible.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#9 of 10 Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
I know that they tend to be hormonal...women with PCOS have a tendency to get them. Which is not to say you have PCOS, but just to say that it's a hormonally-based phenomenon.
Really? I've never heard that. It explains a lot. Thanks for the info.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#10 of 10 Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM

I believe the Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book talks about skin tags in pregnancy. I've never had them but have gotten a few small ones from this pregnancy. The book says they don't go away postpartum, but you can get them removed at a dermatologists office (all they do is clip them off or, if they're a little bigger, they first give a little anesthetic injection and then clip it off. So either way the only thing you can do is clip it off...just depends on whether you want the shot of anesthetic before it or not).

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page