Whats in your hospital bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If youre going to give birth in a hospital, what's in your bag?
Can you share?
Here's whats going in mine.

during labor:
In bag:
•Hair ties
•Water shoes
•Sports bra for water
•Breath mints/ lozenges
•Lip balm or moisturizer
•Digital camera
•Video camera and film, digital card, extra batteries or battery charger, tripod
•bottled waters, juice

For after birth:

•Pj’s with button down top
•Underwear
•Nursing bra/tanks
•Pillow
•Make up bag
•Robe
• toiletries
•Clothes to wear home
•Socks
•Flip flops
•Apple cider champagne
•Phone call list
• change of clothes for Roy
•tucks medicated pads

For Baby:
•Clothes for baby to wear home (outfit and bunting)
•Clothes for in hospital if want more on baby than tshirt and diaper
•Blanket
•Car seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't packed yet but I just got back from the hospital to do an nst test & I've decided that I'm adding good toilet paper to my list. The stuff they had was so thin & scratchy.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 16 Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

I had a list somewhere but I can't find it. Maybe I should remake a list and get what things I need.. Otherwise Ill end up like I did with DD and be packing the bag while Im in labor

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 16 Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 PM

Jeanine-my list is very much like yours.

These are the only differences from yours:

I have an extra nursing bra (an old one, but I only own 2, so I'll wear one, and have an extra).

I have extra super-pads, I went through all the hospital gave me with both kids. With DD I hemorraged, so extra is good.

Extra diapers for baby.

A sweater for me, I tend to go back and forth between the sweats and the chills for the first couple days.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#5 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Nail clippers for baby!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#6 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I haven't packed yet but I just got back from the hospital to do an nst test & I've decided that I'm adding good toilet paper to my list. The stuff they had was so thin & scratchy.
To be honest, I didnt even use toilet paper for about 2 weeks after having my son. I used the witch hazel, or TUCKS pads faithfully. Just a suggestion.

And for underwear, the hospital provided me with as many pairs of maternity underwear and maternity pads I wanted! So I didnt even wear my own underwear for about 3 weeks afterwards, or have to buy pads. They were kinda cheap and didnt have adheasive, and the maternity underwear were more like mesh covers then anything else, but it beat having to run to the store, or bleeding all over my own underwear. Just another suggetion to ask the hospital if they provide. You insurance pays for all that stuff, so you may as well use it to your full advantage if you can!
#7 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 AM

Barbie-when I ran out of what the hospital had provided and asked for more, I was treated as though I was asking too much. So I just figured that you have to provide your own once you run out of what they give you...

So I'm bringing more from home.

Although, those mesh thingys were great. Rinse them out in the sink, hang to dry, and you've got a fresh pair in just a little while!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#8 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 AM

I am going to birth in a FSBC (I know it is lame, but I'll need their jacuzzy!), so I'll need a bag, but it is still empty. Thanks for the list and the ideas though!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#9 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I had pads and underwear in my bag last time, but the hospital has loads of pads and those mesh underwear. I took some home with me. I dont think Ill have to bring pads with me this time. But, then again, I didnt bleed heavily, so maybe thats why I didnt use up a lot of them.

Also, they supply baby diapers. Not the ones Id use at home, but they are free, so we used them.

I added my nursing bra to the bag...very important. Last time, I had visitors and was just wearing my pajamas and no bra. That was crazy, my nipples were popping out through my shirt. Not a good look. Ha!
#10 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM

Jeanine thanks for sharing your hospital bags to us...My sister in-law will due very soon and I think I need to advised her what to bring...
#11 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Your list is pretty similar to ours, and we added a few things specific to our situation (FSBC):
  • change of clothes for partner
  • swim suit for partner (so he can get in the jacuzzi tub with me, if I want)
  • tennis ball for counter pressure
  • light foods for me and partner (applesauce cups, honey sticks, luna bars, crackers)
  • meal for after labor (frozen lasagna, already in our freezer at home)

Our Bradley instructor gave us a great tip- you can gather the stuff, but your partner/coach should actually pack the bag! They will most likely be the ones hustling to get what you need, and you shouldn't have to direct them to a specific pocket or whatever.

Also, my SIL delivered at the hospital and they wouldn't give her anything for heartburn (not even tums, which was all she wanted). She said that the most difficult/distracting thing about her labor was heartburn, and they would only offer her ice chips when she (repeatedly) complained. So maybe include your preferred heartburn remedy in your bag?

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#12 of 16 Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea about the partner packing the bag. And I forgot to add in there a change of clothes for my dh.

On a funny note, for my first daughters birth, my dd had her take home outfit, and my dh had his "take home outfit" too. He went out and bought an outfit for himself. He is too much, sometimes. Thats why god has given him girls, he is all about his fashion!!
#13 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM

There's nothing in my bag right now, and I'm putting off even thinking about it! We're so close to the hospital that I'll send DH back for anything that I forget at the last minute. I think, inside, that I'm kinda hoping things will go so fast that I end up not going to the hospital. Now, that's unlikely, because literally we're across the street. But I think that's what's behind my procrastination on the whole hospital bag thing.

However, I'm not subscribed to this thread, because your list is pretty thorough, and if I do leave things to last minute, I can refer to it!
#14 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 AM

Your list was great thanks for sharing. Glad you mentioned shower shoes I think I would have forgotten those.

In addition I'm adding these things to my bag:
snacks: nuts(really hope thy wont bother baby cause this is my favorite snack) and raisins, dates, instant oatmeal and herbal teas bags(help with all the post partum gassiness)

Myself: a towel and washcloth, boppy pillow
Baby: nail clippers and apricot oil, a sleep gown, hat and socks

For those of you who can/will use your cell phones in hospital..don't forget your charger.

Oh and how many pairs of underwear do u think r enough? I should know this with #4, but i always end up with too many or not enough.

hijab.gif married to DH  mom to 3 boys, 1 girl
#15 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Shower shoes is a great thing to add.. I remember the hospital showers at Pendleton and I wouldn't want to use them. Im sure that here isn't going to be any better.. I just found out that if its crowded they have two or three moms/babies to a room so Im going to back a nursing cover. I had a terrible time with latch with DD and I would be so uncomfortable if I had someone elses husband in the room while Im trying to breastfeed without a cover.. I don't mind nursing DD without a cover now but she latches on in less than a second now, I know it will take a little while with a newborn.
Im going to make sure to pack a cup and snacks for DD as well since DH always forgets to bring anything for her when we go out. Usually if he takes her out he ends up having to stop and get her something to eat.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#16 of 16 Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm packing some Senekot. I started taking it right after birth with the second child, and it made things much more pleasant. Otherwise, our lists are similar.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page