Got my first "twins" comment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my first "twins" comment tonight. We were leaving a restaurant and one of the hostesses asked me:

Hostess: How many months are you?
Me: Eight months.
Hostess: Really? And it's just one?
Me: Yeah, just one.
Hostess: Oh...boy or girl?
Me: Girl.

Disclaimer: I am 8 months pregnant...I am not (nor should I be) small.

The thing that annoyed me the most about it all was how her jaw hit the floor when I told her it was just one. Give me a break. I've gained 27 pounds (average) and I'm nearly 36 weeks pregnant :

I started getting asked about twins about a week or so before DS was born, so maybe this is the end?

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM

Oh, yes...I know all about "twin" comments. I even asked my Dr. how I was measuring (maybe I was big??) and he said right on target and looked alittle puzzled as to why I've asked two appt in a row. Then I explained about how everyone is saying how big I am and how I couldn't possibly be carrying just one. His advice was this "You have one of two options, you can just smile and say "My doctor says I'm measuring perfect" or I can kick them in the groin!" haha I love my Doctor!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#3 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Welcome to the club. I have been getting those comments for at least 2 months now. And I've only gained 10 pounds this whole pregnancy.

Someone suggested to me that maybe not many women are out and about their last month or two of pregnancy. So the general population doesn't really realize how big women get when they are close to term. It's because we're all hiding at home with our big bellies!

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#4 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 02:28 AM

gosh...why do people say that?!!

I've decided that most people just don't know how to say "congratulations" and leave it alone. They usually decide to just open their mouth and insert their foot by coming up with some really uncalled for comment.

I've decided that all people should be required to tell obviously pregnant woman that they are beautiful.
#5 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM

It's so frusterating isn't it? I literally get these type of comments everytime I go anywhere. It's to the point where I don't want anyone commenting on me or my belly at all anymore. I wish people would be more considerate.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#6 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 10:02 AM

You'd think someone in a job that is dependent on customer satisfaction would have a LITTLE bit of sense.
#7 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM

I have gotten the twins comment several times. I agree with littlehalo that people just don't know what a full-term mom looks like (or an 8 month mom). Let's get out there ladies and educate these people!
#8 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 AM

you know what's funny? the other day a friend of mine looked at me and said "i can totally tell you are only having one this time!" it was hilarious.

and what's more, i only got the "twins" question one time when i was actually pg with twins, and it was from another twin mama. she recognized the enormity for what it was. :

i like the idea of telling pg mamas they are beautiful. i may start doing that.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#9 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Oh my gosh, I can so relate....this past weekend we were at our niece's baby's baptism, and a woman who had just held our niece's newborn came up to me and said, "And now when is this one due?" I said, "Next month." And she looks me up and down and sort of snort-laughs and says, "Really? Looks more like last month to me!"

I think if we hadn't been in church I would not have been able to resist saying something nasty. LOL.

I am well aware that I look huge for barely 33 weeks. But I always look huge, I carry all out in front like a basketball, and this is my 4th baby in 6 years, so give me a break!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#10 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Oh, goodness I've been hearing this forever. Last time, it WAS twins, so people who know me keep insisting it's another set (especially since we've been very low-intervention this pregnancy and didn't have an US until quite late). I've got almost 2 months left and am now having complete strangers make these comments (Them: "You must be due any day now!" Me: "End of next month." Them: "Are you sure there's only one?!?").

If it's any consolation, last time when I WAS carrrying two, people stopped asking the "when are you due"-type questions and just immediately said "you must be having twins!".

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#11 of 14 Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 AM

I had someone at Costco say, "You can't possibly get any bigger" when I said I had almost two months left.

I agree with a PP that people just don't know what to say (as if "Congratulations!" isn't enough) so say something, which generally makes the mama feel bad.

Equally as bad (although I've never had this comment, only overheard it said to others) is when people comment on how small a pregnant women is for how far along she is. As if we don't have enough to worry about without people insinuating our babes aren't growing enough (or too much, whatever the case may be).

I like to tell pregnant women that they look perfect and are just the right size!
#12 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 AM

The nerve of some people! I seem to be tiny this time compared to many, but some people just have no idea. I take it all with a grain of salt now... one person implies I'm huge (like the lady in Target a few weeks back who said "Wow, you're about to pop, huh?" - I just smiled and nodded cause I was dealing with a testy toddler, but I had like 7 or 8 weeks left) and then another will turn around and say I'm tiny... Whatever lol. I'm just happy no one has tried to touch my belly

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#13 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 PM

I've decided that the next person that says "you're going to have a really big baby" is going to have their intestines pulled out of their mouth and tied around their necks. (Especially when that person is a man who has never been and will never be pregnant.)
#14 of 14 Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raek622 View Post
I've decided that the next person that says "you're going to have a really big baby" is going to have their intestines pulled out of their mouth and tied around their necks. (Especially when that person is a man who has never been and will never be pregnant.)
laughup so true!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page