birth control after - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll be doing FAM here. It's worked for us pretty well so far. We're undecided if we want another child. DH says he's fine with 2. Sometimes I think I'd like to have another and other days I think I wouldn't survive another pregnancy. So the way I look at it if I get pregnant again that'll be great if I don't that'll be fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

this is a source of major contention in our home, to the point where we still don't have a decision made. I cannot be pregnant again, i hate it and i can't do bedrest again for my own sanity.

I want DH to get snipped, but he is not going for it, my second choice is an IUD. I cannot do the pill or Depo, and i would really rather avoid the hormones anyhow. But then there is the Catholic guilt about using anything other than NFP. We used it okay, but i really dont want to worry about having more kids everyday for another 20 years.
#33 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 PM

We are NFP-only here, for religious reasons - and also because I hate the idea of hormones and we want more kids anyway. We do ecological bfing though, so I don't get my cycle back until around 13-17 months. By then, we're ready for the next one anyway, so honestly, we've never used NFP to avoid, only to acheieve, pregnancy - so far.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#34 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Selena & clavicula, perhaps you should do a consult with an NFP doctor. I am super fertile and we had no trouble avoiding on NFP, even with extended BFing. We were very cautious and our CCLI couple helped us quite a bit because she was also very fertile, extended BFing, etc., and they helped us with every chart for months to make sure we were "skinny dipping" with my fertility. My CCLI couple cannot have any more children either due to medical reasons, so they are planning on being super conservative as well.
#35 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Teffer- I have used NFP for 4 years, I know how to use it and how to avoid or achieve. The point is I don't want to. I have continual mucus before Ovulation and have extremely long cycles most of those days must be spent abstaining. The point is I just don't want to worry about fertility every day.
#36 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 AM

I'm really stressing about this... Batman was a complete surprise. Definitely don't want to do that again, but don't want to do hormonal things since I already have trouble with depression and don't like some of the ethical implications. DP doesn't want to use condoms or do NFP again since we got pg while using NFP. Sooooo... I guess only option is diaphragm. I don't even know how to spell it w/o spellcheck... I suppose that's not a good sign, eh? I'd like to hear from those who use one if possible. I've been thinking about this alot lately, nice to know I'm not alone!
#37 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 AM

I'm so incredibly annoyed at my insurance company. Even when breastfeeding is not an issue, I can't take anything with estrogen because it triggers my migraines. The best option for us is IUD. My insurance company that covered 100% of experimental fetal surgery, cesarean section and 7 week of NICU care will not cover an IUD. I made sure I told them exactly how stupid I thought it was they covered all that in pregnancy but would not pay to prevent another one. They were not amused by my rant.

We talked about diaphragm, but according to my midwife, now that I've had three babies, it would be 80% effective at best. We'd be better off taking our chances that we won't get pg my first cycle back while EBF and doing NFP after that.
#38 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 AM

DH is getting a vasectomy. I cannot ever handle being pregnant again, physically or emotionally.
#39 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
I'm so incredibly annoyed at my insurance company. Even when breastfeeding is not an issue, I can't take anything with estrogen because it triggers my migraines. The best option for us is IUD. My insurance company that covered 100% of experimental fetal surgery, cesarean section and 7 week of NICU care will not cover an IUD. I made sure I told them exactly how stupid I thought it was they covered all that in pregnancy but would not pay to prevent another one. They were not amused by my rant.

We talked about diaphragm, but according to my midwife, now that I've had three babies, it would be 80% effective at best. We'd be better off taking our chances that we won't get pg my first cycle back while EBF and doing NFP after that.
I would look into doing an appeal.
#40 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM

DH is making an appt this morning to get snipped ASAP.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#41 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 AM

i had the paragaurd (copper, non-hormonal) iud for 1 year and got pregnant the month i got it taken out. it works really well and statistically is very safe but for me it did cause increased cramping and bleeding and i just hated the visual image of something in my uterus all the time, it just seems so unatural. but then again i am allergic to latex, hate taking the pill and also don't really believe in it because i don't think women should have to risk their health so they don't get pregnant- i worked in a MDs clinic and one of our patients had a stroke at age 27 caused by taking the regular pill, she was a non smoker, no other risk factors that i know of.

dh says he wants to have a couple more after this so we'll probably just see what G-d gives us. i didn't get my cycle until DS was 14 months so i assume if i breastfeed all the time and cosleep that will happen again.
#42 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM

i'm going with NFP.

dh is going with condoms.

i was off the pill for 18 months before i got pregnant, but it didn't happen until i started working serious overtime while we battled our neighbors over their 18 hours of bass per day. the stress knocked my cycle off. so my job is to be as stress-free as possible so my cycle stays regular. dh's job is to be inflexible when i try to convince him it really isn't "time" yet. i really hate condoms.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#43 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
Selena & clavicula, perhaps you should do a consult with an NFP doctor.
I know a lot about NFP. But I tend to have 80-90-day cycles while nursing, so I have absolutely no idea when I am gonna O. Using condoms for months-that is not for me.
This time I got pg (Oed) 5 days after we DTD, which is almost impossible.
I just don't want a surprise again, and don't want to risk my health w/ another pregnancy.
My body is freakin' tired!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#44 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 PM

I think I'll be getting mirena. I've heard it's safe for BF'ing and I don't want to have to worry about FAM for a while.
#45 of 53 Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 PM

We want at least one more and since my period doesn't usually come back until 10 mos pp, I'm not going to worry.

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#46 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selena_ski View Post
Teffer- I have used NFP for 4 years, I know how to use it and how to avoid or achieve. The point is I don't want to. I have continual mucus before Ovulation and have extremely long cycles most of those days must be spent abstaining. The point is I just don't want to worry about fertility every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clavicula View Post
I know a lot about NFP. But I tend to have 80-90-day cycles while nursing, so I have absolutely no idea when I am gonna O. Using condoms for months-that is not for me.
This time I got pg (Oed) 5 days after we DTD, which is almost impossible.
I just don't want a surprise again, and don't want to risk my health w/ another pregnancy.
My body is freakin' tired!
I'm not questioning whether you know what you are doing, but a good NFP doctor might be able to help. A friend with some hormone problems found great care after she went to an OB who specialized and could prescribe something (not BC, but I can't recall what it was or if it was pharmaceutical - preggo brain). Another mom I know sees him for bad cycle irregularities and has found some help. Anyway, there might be something a doctor can do or see that your teaching couple might not. I understand not wanting another pregnancy, but there might be options that a regular OB doesn't consider, KWIM. Whatever you chose!

raek622, I don't think Mirena is as perfect for BFing moms as the stats show. If you do a search here on MDC, you'll see other posters who have had trouble. I didn't have supply issues, but I had other problems that magically disappeared after I pulled the Mirena. OTOH, I know moms who have used it and loved it while BFing with no problems, but it's awfully expensive if you end up pulling it early!
#47 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post

Check with a local Planned Parenthood. You can get IUD and other bc for reduced prices.
#48 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 AM

FAM/charting worked well as even though I have irregular cycles, they occurred regularly. If that makes sense.

But all that I've heard about cycles and AF during breastfeeding leads me to think basic charting won't work.

So I think I'm going with the Creighton model after this babe is born. Fortunately, there's a CN in our city who teaches it for cheap.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#49 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 AM

well after a good deal of thought we have decided on a tubal or a hysterectomy. As we are sure another on ewould end in a miscarriage as I have extremely rough pregnancies

E married to "G" 9/06 mama to "A" 6/07 "D" 3/09 "A" due mid sept

#50 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM

well,,, dh keeps bringing up the Big V, which i don't know why i have such an uneasy feeling about it, but i do. We're in our late 20's and yes we've had 4 kids in 6 years and yes i need a break for awhile...but it just seems so permenant, otherwise i don't really know why i am so nervous about it.

What I want to do is go back to the FAM method and use a barrier before Ovulation. we've had good success with it in the past and i love knowing exactly what is going on with my body. my cycles are usually very regular, although when i am EBF i tend to stop ovulating and not start back up until 4-6 months after we wean...however, if i do 50/50 with breastfeeding/suuplementing my ovulation returns within 3 months of beginning to supplement ( i know this from conceiving my 2nd child during that but i wasn't charting then so i am not exactly sure when my fertility returned and at what point during breastfeeding/supplementing, if that makes sense)....

So yes, i do want to EBF this child, also chart, and possibly use These VCF's as the barrier method. they are a spermicide, but not as messy as the gels, foams...etc. 15 mins prior and they dissolve. i think this along with charting should be pretty good for us.

DH is torn on "my idea" of what to do. my body needs a bit of a break and he is pushing for adoption to expand our family over bio chidlren. I am completley open to adoption, i just dont want anything surgical yet. i feel we're too young.

p.s. i did want to say i've done the patch before and the adhesive is very very good. I would go swimming and take multiple baths/showers with them on and never had a problem with one of them coming off. usually when i did take them off though, i'd have a big square edging from the adhesive though...like when you take a bandaid off and have a bandaid edging of stickness left on your finger? that was annoying, so you do need to put it where it isn't visible and you arent going to want that area visable for a week or so after you take it off so all that adhesive can wear off. just my experience though.
#51 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM

I tried the Mirena IUD last time, and ended up with a perforated uterus, and having to have the thing surgically removed. I am currently planning on having my tubes tied, partially because with my being 36 having 5 kids, and having been through multiple losses, I know I could get preg. again, and I don't think I can emotionally handle the stress, but mostly we are going with the tubal because I have insurance right now, and DH doesn't, so him getting snipped is just something we can't afford.
#52 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM

We're going to use condoms and since my cycles are pretty regular I'm considering those cycle beads. It's basically NFP on a bracelet. DH has finally agreed to the big V when he turns 30. About 3 more years. At first he was against it and wanted me to get a tubal but after doing some research he's decided not to make me go through that. I have hormonal issues anyway and the thought of messing around in there scares the crap out of me. Plus, practically all of his divorced friends blame it on their wife's tubals. Saying that their personalities "changed over night" I don't know if there is any fact to that but it's enough to scare us.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#53 of 53 Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymomma4 View Post
I tried the Mirena IUD last time, and ended up with a perforated uterus, and having to have the thing surgically removed.
Oh, that's terrible! A lady I know on another board had her Mirena "migrate" and it perforated her uterus and inserted into her bowel. She had to have surgery and had a lengthy recovery. She thinks it was a poor quality insertion though, based on the things her doctor was saying during the procedure.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page