birth control after - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone started thinking about birth control after the baby shows up? I think I've narrowed it down between the IUD and the patch, but I'm wondering what everyone else is doing and why.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 53 Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 PM

i'm leaning towards the mirena IUD, because i have tolerated the pill well in the past, but with two little kids, i don't think i can remember to take it every day at the same time!!

there were some good online reviews, but some scary stuff too, so at least i know what to look out for!

i'm afraid the patch would fall off, and i do some fairly sporty stuff, not sure it's for me.

not doing the tubes tied thing, even though i'm 36 and pretty sure this is my last pregnancy, it's a little TOO permanent for me!

looking forward to what yous other moms are thinking of doing.

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#3 of 53 Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM

We'll be doing the same as before... a modified version of FAM. I call it Paranoid FAM- we use condoms until I'm sure I've ovulated (instead of just during fertile phases).

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#4 of 53 Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We won't be using anything. It took us 6 years to conceive & needed assistance at that.

If we ever use anything again in the future it would have to be something non-hormonal. I have had too many bad experiences with the hormones & firmly believe that if I had never started the pill I wouldn't have had near the problems I have with pcos & depression. Natural family planning would never work because my cycles are much too erratic.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 AM

We'll be doing condoms until my cycle returns. Then FAM and most likely DH will be getting the "snip" at some point in time.

I don't do well on hormonal methods of birth control at all... weight gain, depression, the whole she-bang.
#6 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 AM

Ugh, I don't know what to do about birth control! I've been stressing about it because I get my fertility back quite early... at about 5 mo. PP with my first baby and about 2 months PP with my second (yes, that's super early!!) and I cosleep and nurse on demand. But we are sure that this is our last baby, so neither of us want to take any chances.

I do not react well to hormonal birth control, and I tried the Mirena IUD but it was not at all for me. I have a slightly irregularly shaped uterus, so I think that contributed to the problems. It also killed my sex drive.

DH keeps saying he's going to get a vasectomy, which I guess is probably what we'll do, but for some reason it doesn't sit well with me. I guess it's the permanent reversal of one's fertility... even though I know we don't want more kids it just seems so... unnatural. There are also some speculative side-effects that worry me. But really there doesn't seem another way that is that effective. I did FAM for quite a while but we're not *that* good at it.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#7 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 AM

Mirena here.
I need some rest. I had 3 pregnancies in 4 years, my body is for sure exhausted!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#8 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Since i have such a hard time producing milk on my own, I will be avoiding the pill and anything else hormonal at all costs. So its condoms, condoms, condoms for us. And since my boys are only going to be 14 months apart, and I feel like I have been pregnant since Christ died, we will be using them FAITHFULLY.
#9 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM

we'll just be hoping for/counting on breastfeeding and co-sleeping to keep ovulation at bay for a while. With DC#1 I didn't start cycling again until month 14 postpartum. Because of my (and my family's) history, I can't use anything with hormones, and because of my latex allergy condoms are too darn expensive...plus I really can't stand the different feel. Once I start cycling we probably will just let happen what happens (unless I get it back really early for some odd reason) because it took so long for us to get pregnant this time.

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#10 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM

We'll probably do the mini pill again. Mini pill and nursing combined to hold off AF for about 16 months last time. I'm not totally crazy about the hormones, but I was on the Pill for 13 years before TTC, and I really think the benefits outweighed the negatives. My attitude and DDT aren't as wonderful on the mini pill, but I think that's a decent trade-off for knowing I won't get pregnant. We are also pretty sure that our family will be complete, but we don't like the permanence of vas or tubes. And IUDs freak me out. And we both hate condoms with a vengeance.

If only there were a better way! :
#11 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM

We'll do condoms and FAM similar to the way andi-mama does it. While we're pretty confident this is our last, we're both young enough (I'll be 28 next week, dh just turned 31) that we're not willing to do anything permanent. I can't tolerate any hormonal birth control, but I may look into the non-hormone IUD at some point.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#12 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
we'll just be hoping for/counting on breastfeeding and co-sleeping to keep ovulation at bay for a while.
Same here. I didn't get my cycles back until 10months pp. I am hoping it will be longer this time as I might be a SAHM. If I do go back to work, I am going to hire someone to come to my home so babe can have access to breast all the time(I work from home) and I don't have to pump. After that though, probably FAM. Don't want hormones anymore, neither one of us really believes/wants to become sterile. And it took us almost 2-1/2 years to get pg with this one. 15 months with DD. This is our last for sure. I am getting too old.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#13 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We only use NFP.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#14 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM

We will use NFP and if I get preg again, so be it! wheee!!:
#15 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM

I will not be using anything this time around because DH is getting the big snip. We were debating that or getting my tubes tied while i was having my c/s. However, I am very reluctant to do anything permanent to myself that could affect my sex drive.

I have used the mini-pill (hated it sooo much, couldn't lose weight and got pg on it) and Mirena (liked this more, had trouble when they put it in due to anatomy, killed my sex drive). I am just not a fan of bc for my body. So, DH offered to take one for the team.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#16 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM

A few years ago I spent 8 days in the hospital because of pelvic inflammatory disease, so the IUD is out. We did good with NFP, but 3 years later, that's how Charlie got in the oven. Obviously, my cycles aren't as regular as they should be, and I don't do so well with temping.

DH had promised to get the big V. Then, when we had insurance, and I gave him the number to the urologist, he backpedaled big time. What with his genetic thing, and the fact that only 1 out of 3 kids got it, I'm done, taking my money and running. That coupled with the fact that I've discovered I don't really like being pregnant. It's cool, it's amazing, but at 31 I ache constantly.

So my tubes are getting tied in the hospital sometime after babies birth. Some teeny part of me is a little hesitant, but honestly, if I really want another baby we could consider adoption. But I think I'll be busy enough with 3!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#17 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

I'll be using a diaphragm again. I liked that it was non-hormonal and didn't affect my sex drive (big problem with me and the pill). We never had any problems with it and neither of us could feel it.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#18 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think this time we will use a combo of FAM & condoms, we're not sure yet, I have used the paragaurd IUD (non-hormonal) between two different pregnancies 4.5 years the first time and 3 years this time. it was fabulous for me, a cinch to get put in (and I was scared after reading some ladies had passed out during insertion) I really didn't even know they had began when the doc said he was done, and when we wanted to get pregnant it was a cinch to take out and walla...preggo. I will not do hormones, they mess me up. I may go back to the IUD again, just waiting to see what INS. will cover.
#19 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Because of breastfeeding, I will not be doing anything hormonal. Before this baby we used NFP (natural family planning). I will start to chart again after I get my first period or maybe around 6 months. However, I think we'll just have another baby when we have another baby. Sorry, I'm no help.
#20 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM

Well, I know I'm not doing anything hormonal. I'm hoping that BFing will keep my ovulation at bay for a while. After that, well, I'm going to try to do charting. I am really good at reading my body, and the only reason I got pg was because I got lazy after we were married, . My MW will be offering a free fertility awareness class sometime soon, so I'll be going to that. If I can't get to that one before the baby comes, DH and I will probably try to go to a NFP class, since the Catholic church in our area offers them pretty regularly.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#21 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Jumping in from Dec to say that I definitely DON'T recommend the Patch!
I used it after DD was born (she was 9 months, so my milk supply was well established), and it dried me up a lot.
There is actually some sort of class-action suit or something against the maker of it because it is a substantially higher dose of the hormone, therefore has more risk of side effects.
The reason they have to put more hormones in it is because different people have different thicknesses of skin, so they have to put the maximum amount to account for the thickest-skinned people who would be using them.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not feeling well today.
#22 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM

If you're considering the patch, don't; go for the nuvaring. That's what I did before DD and after AF returned. I had reactions to the pill and the patch, but the ring was just fine.

I'd go back to it this time, but DH is getting snipped. I maybe be "only" 28, but I'm done. Procreation is wonderful, but pregnancy is not my cup o' tea. I told DH we're not doin' it after the baby's born unless he's snipped. Ha! And when he asked about getting my tubes tied, I scoffed and said it's about time HE gets the physical brunt. Besides, it's safer.
#23 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Nfp

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#24 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM

NFP

I have to caution you about the Mirena if you plan on BFing. I didn't have any supply issues, but I had yeast issues and hormonal BC can make them worse (and it did!). I also had some very weird skin problems while on it, and my dermatologist said he thought they were hormone related and they definitely were because they disappeared after my OB pulled it but while I was still BFing.

Also, be sure you know what you are getting into with the patch. I've known of several pregnancies while using it (including one where it was applied at PP), and I had a couple of my black students who got something like chemical burns where they had applied it. I'm not sure if the latter applies to you, but seeing their burned skin was enough to make me want to warn women interested!
#25 of 53 Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 PM

must convince DH to get "fixed". not having any luck with that, though!
#26 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

We definitely want more so DH getting fixed isn't going to happen this time (it will eventually though). I'm leaning more and more toward the IUD after reading everyone's responses and talking to friends. Now I just have to run it by my doctor and see if she thinks it's a good choice.

obstruct livery vehicles

#27 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 AM

I'm not a fan of hormonal BC, so we will use FAM again... we used the "paranoid FAM" for a while before we started ttc. AF returned at 6mths PP with Adrian, despite the bedsharing and exclusive BFing on demand. It took almost 18mths, vitex and NPC to conceive again because my luteal phase was so short because of extended nursing, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to just chance it being the same again this time, though I'm hoping AF stays away for a year + this time.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#28 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisV View Post
We will use NFP and if I get preg again, so be it! wheee!!:
I have 2 NFP babies (we tried to avoid) so far. (This just doesn't work for us while I am nursing.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#29 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

I don't know what Im planning on doing yet.. The patch, however, didn't work for me. It sweated right off. I used it for about 6 months and had to put a new one every two to three days. I finally gave up.
Depo didn't work for me, it gave me a horrible rash where they gave me the injection. I might try the mini pill but the regular pill makes me sick to my stomach. We want to have children close together so Im not sure the IUD would work for us.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#30 of 53 Old 10-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi-mama View Post
We'll be doing the same as before... a modified version of FAM. I call it Paranoid FAM- we use condoms until I'm sure I've ovulated (instead of just during fertile phases).
We do this, too, including the Paranoid part

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page