Homebirthers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you planning to have available to eat (for yourself and others) during and after birth?

I'm thinking of putting a beef stew in the crock for after the birth.
#2 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM

WOW you are organized! I have no idea. Whatever's hanging around, I guess!

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#3 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 PM

not in your ddc, but responding anyways

I always planned to use my labor time to bake a loaf of bread and chop vegetables into the crockpot, so my family can eat and I'd have a good hearty meal after all the work of labor.

It never worked out, though. My labors were too fast and intense to prepare meals. Instead, I ended up reheating some homemade "TV dinners" in the days after birth. With this last baby, my older kids were preparing the evening meal, when I was just too wiped out. Breakfast & lunches I could handle, but dinner was just beyond my limit those first few days.
#4 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM

I have a plan if restaurants are open - either bagels or take-out from Moe's, depending on the time of day. If it's at night, then we're going to bake some cinnamon rolls. Lovely processed food, but mmm carbs. My labors tend to start out fairly intense (contractions 4-6 minutes apart, 45-60 seconds from the beginning) and ds's was just 5 hours, so I don't anticipate having time to organize anything else.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#5 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 PM

I've thought about this a lot, since here on the commune I'm expecting folks will be hanging out downstairs waiting around till the baby's born. I have a friend who makes awesome donuts, I was thinking he could make some and we could have cider and cocoa and I have another friend who makes great teriyaki chicken. I was thinking about baking some bread during early labor. Then again I had a fantasy of making a lemon-lavendar cake a long time ago...

but that's all for after the birth. during birth...good juice, coconut water?? yogurt?? I had a friend recommend smoked salmon for quick energy, and that sounds good to me.
#6 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 PM

During the birth I'm going with miso soup for myself. Maybe a light smoothie? As for everyone else, my MIL will be here so I'm hoping she will take of it. I also heard that my midwife usually cooks a meal for after the birth (she also cleans the house ).
#7 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 AM

Ooooh, thanks for bringing this up. I need to ask our Midwife if she is a vegetarian or allergic to anything. Our Doula too. Adding to "To Do" list now...: Thanks!

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#8 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Good thread btw!

For others during (and me after):
I was planning on making a soup (I was actually thinking of beef stew) and freezing it, in case I don't feel like cooking. Then all I have to do is pop it in the crockpot at the onset of labor. If I'm feeling frisky, I'll probably bake cornbread during early labor.

For me during:
I have Miso soup but would love other ideas

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#9 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire View Post
I have a plan if restaurants are open - either bagels or take-out from Moe's, depending on the time of day. If it's at night, then we're going to bake some cinnamon rolls. Lovely processed food, but mmm carbs. My labors tend to start out fairly intense (contractions 4-6 minutes apart, 45-60 seconds from the beginning) and ds's was just 5 hours, so I don't anticipate having time to organize anything else.
adding cinnamon rolls to birth supplies list!! thank you for that suggestion.

so 2 people have mentioned miso soup---which i LOVE. from the local sushi place! maybe i'll send dh out for it when the time comes.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#10 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM

My midwife really doesn't eat during births, had the same midwife 3 times. She cooks for me after the birth!

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#11 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 AM

I haven't thought things out that much, lol. I do have miso, though, so that sounds good. Hopefully my doula/best friend will be here and she's the best cook ever, so I know she'll make stuff. I'm on week 36 and just now starting to get my HB supplies together!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#12 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 10:54 AM

i'm planning on having my gorumet chef father cater my birth and postpartum period! seriously. when my DS was born in a hospital 7 years ago my dad came right away with his amazing guittard chocolate chip cookies, roast chicken and homemade pesto noodles. we were there for 5 days while DS was in the nicu and my dad fed me constantly. he has also been called upon by two of my friends for their post-birth meals, both of them homebirths. his "special delivery" meal has become roast chicken with simmis (spelling) which he makes with roasted prunes and sweet potatoes and chicken stock and is to die for. i think i will request his chezchloslovakian knocky (dumplings), from scratch garvey and chicken thighs. or maybe smoked trout, my dad's yummy scrambled eggs, knedleki (spelling, a chezch type of egg and bread dumpling), bagels and cream cheese! i'm getting hungry just thinking about it. i have a friend who putin a turkey when she began labour and chowed down on it afterwards with her hubby and midwife. that sounds good too, i especially love cornbread, walnut and cranberry stuffing! speaking of which i am due on Thanksgiving so somebody ought to bring me a massive plate or two.

oh and Erlaine- coconut water is a great idea, i think ill make sure to have fresh young coconuts laying around come 37 weeks!
#13 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM

I have no idea. I likely won't have time to start cooking anything but I hope my friend will make me some of her chicken and dumpling soup. Miso soup sounds so good!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#14 of 18 Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm placing DH on "prepare beef stew" duty if I don't feel like doing it.

I was thinking a spread with fruit, crackers, bagels, cheese, veggies, a variety of tea, and such on the counter for people during labor.

I don't anticipate wanting to eat. I didn't want to eat last labor. My midwife made me eat a bit. I ate a bit of honey and also a bowl of strawberries. I was so anti-food in labor. I only wanted water.

I bought some Recharge. I think I might make popsicles with it. That sounds much better to me for labor.

I've never had miso soup.
#15 of 18 Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 PM

mmmmm, miso! great idea.
i have energy drink mix i love for electrolytes. gonna freeze some of it in ice cube trays. i loved the flavor soooo much during vacation i haven't had it since so i wouldn't get tired of it.
no stew for me. the last two i made in the last 6 weeks i turned my nose up at. just didn't want it when the time came to eat. i made a double batch of meatballs yesterday and froze half. made a double batch of enchilada sauce and ground chicken last time and froze half...i'm going with the same pattern for every meal that will freeze well until i go into labor. plus ds is cooking for me afterwards. and dh is looking forward to cooking too. i think i'm going to make neckbone spaghetti (i know sounds gross, but soooo good, family recipe) during labor. not too intensive, but takes about 6 hours for a couple of gallons of sauce. that should hold us.

ari - aw, i miss my dad now! he loves to cook. maybe i'll entice him out here for some kitchen duty...although he hates nyc.

pookie - thanks for the idea. i didn't even think about whether my midwife has dietary restrictions (). i know what she'll say to me, but i should ask anyway.

and dh will make my special juice. he makes it 2-3 times a week for me now. recipe below for anybody that's interested. really good stuff!!!

1 grapefruit
3-4 limes
5 juice oranges (squishy fruit, on sale works best)
3 cups of water
1/2 cup of sugar

heat the water and sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves, but don't allow to boil. pour into a pitcher. juice the fruit and pour the juice and pulp into the pitcher. top off with water to taste.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#16 of 18 Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 PM

oh, and a bottle of champagne to pop afterwards

#17 of 18 Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc03 View Post
mmmmm, miso! great idea.
i have energy drink mix i love for electrolytes. gonna freeze some of it in ice cube trays. i loved the flavor soooo much during vacation i haven't had it since so i wouldn't get tired of it....

... i think i'm going to make neckbone spaghetti (i know sounds gross, but soooo good, family recipe) during labor. not too intensive, but takes about 6 hours for a couple of gallons of sauce. that should hold us.

ari - aw, i miss my dad now! he loves to cook. maybe i'll entice him out here for some kitchen duty...although he hates nyc.

pookie - thanks for the idea. i didn't even think about whether my midwife has dietary restrictions (). i know what she'll say to me, but i should ask anyway.

and dh will make my special juice. he makes it 2-3 times a week for me now. recipe below for anybody that's interested. really good stuff!!!

1 grapefruit
3-4 limes
5 juice oranges (squishy fruit, on sale works best)
3 cups of water
1/2 cup of sugar

heat the water and sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves, but don't allow to boil. pour into a pitcher. juice the fruit and pour the juice and pulp into the pitcher. top off with water to taste.
what is neckbones spaghetti? sounds interesting! also your drink sounds fantastic except every single time i drink citrus fruit i puke about 1 hour later, even since the bad vomitting period has been over i cant do it

i bet even if your dad hates nyc (why?!) he would love cooking for his little girl, dads and grandads have such a hard time being useful during birth and early babyhood cooking is one of the few things they can help with.

oh and i wanted to add champagne or even better mimosas to my food list! or maybe some raw french fermented apple cider WITH alcoholic content, sounds so good.
#18 of 18 Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=arismama!;12373612]what is neckbones spaghetti?

i bet even if your dad hates nyc (why?!) he would love cooking for his little girl[QUOTE]

i use pork neckbones to make the stock for my spaghetti sauce. i just take out all the bones, gristle, etc. out of the stock and put the meat back in. you can use beef neckbones too, but the pork meat is more tender.

my dad has been telling himself for 70+ years that chicago is better than nyc. plus he's been here 4 times in the last year, mostly driving. and he DESPISES driving here (well, jersey and nyc). but i'm thinking if we really need him, yep, he's coming out here to help his baby girl for a while. i have no problem asking if we need it. $, no. time, yes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page