Preparing for GBS test - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There has been a lot of discussion about GBS testing in a couple other threads and so I was wondering, what exactly can be done to help get a negative result? I think Vitamin C, garlic and probiotics were mentioned. But in what doses? And is there anything else? Also, I was wondering, do these things actually "cure" GBS or does it just mask it somehow for the test?

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#2 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM

I'm not taking a GBS test, but my midwife has me taking immune builders to suppress all viruses and bacteria. I'm currently taking every day: an Emergen-C drink, grapefruitseed extract, and probiotics. Every 2-3 days I take Lysine. And starting in week 38 I will take a combo garlic, echinachea, and goldenseal.
My midwife says that the saline nature of the water for the waterbirth also helps suppress transmission of anything. If I was having an out of water birth (which could happen) and I was worried about GBS, she would spray me with a silver solution to help suppress bacteria.
So I guess the idea is to suppress rather than mask.
#3 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 AM

I did a clove of garlic every night for eight nights before the test (starting nine nights beforehand- so nothing the night before), and tested negative!

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#4 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 AM

I ended up caving and having it done when in L&D this week. It was negative. They said they might have me do another one. But, I think I will refuse it. Even if it was positive, I am quite certain, I am going to deliver fast and I don't think the antibiotics would take effect in time. Is that logical?

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#5 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl View Post
I ended up caving and having it done when in L&D this week. It was negative. They said they might have me do another one. But, I think I will refuse it. Even if it was positive, I am quite certain, I am going to deliver fast and I don't think the antibiotics would take effect in time. Is that logical?
Here, the GBS test is considered good for 5 weeks, so they don't do the test until 36 or 37 weeks, so that they don't have to do it again. My midwife also seems to think that even if it's positive (I only tested yesterday, so we don't have results yet), that I can refuse antibiotic treatment unless I have another risk factor as well (like prolonged rupture of membranes, or fever during labour). She thinks this because testing for GBS has only become standard of care here in the last three years, before that they only ever treated based on risk factors.

So yes, I think what you're suggesting is logical, and if it turns out differently (ie if your water breaks but nothing happens for two days, or if you start running a fever) you can always change your mind and get treated then.
#6 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM

i am having a homebirth and am choosing not to have the test but i like all your suggestions for supressing viruses as i am herpes simplex 2 positive and need to focus on NOT having an outbreak during delivery or homebirth won't be an option. so is goldenseal ok at what point in pregnancy and for how long?
#7 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM

I have been worried about the GBS test too. This is my first homebirth, and I had 3 births at the hospital. They did the GBS test and it was always negative, but I never worried about it. Now that I get all the info on it, I admit that I do worry a bit that the antibiotics arent available if I need them. I thought maybe I just wont test so I dont get all stressed out and wonder what do I do know if it came back positive. I really wonder if the natural treatments really work, do you know anyone who has had any experience with being GBS positive and doing the natural treatments at home, and have a baby that is born without infection? I also read how dangerous the antibiotics can be to the baby if given during labor. I never knew all this before having a hospital birth.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#8 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
i am having a homebirth and am choosing not to have the test but i like all your suggestions for supressing viruses as i am herpes simplex 2 positive and need to focus on NOT having an outbreak during delivery or homebirth won't be an option. so is goldenseal ok at what point in pregnancy and for how long?
My midwife suggested I wait until 38 weeks to use it and then continue using it up until the birth. I want to suppress everything! I was GBS+ last time and had a slow leak. Hospital was adamant about the antibiotics and I was too scared and uneducated not to. Punkrawkmama, I did a bit of research online and feel comfortable doing a homebirth without being tested. But I'm dosing up on all the good bacteria and will be cautious about early ruptured membranes, won't have a lot (or any if possible) internal exams, etc.
There are some stats online about moms who were infected and whose babies did not get GBS. I personally think the hospitals make you get antibiotics to avoid you suing them in the off chance your child does get it.
But I think the decision is up to the mom--I feel personally okay with taking the risk at my homebirth, but others might not.
#9 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 01:57 PM

I was GBS+ last time and had one dose of penicillin via IV after I got checked in at the hospital. They were going to give me two doses, but I was in transition when it was time for the second dose. I kept the hep-loc in, but that was it. Basically, nothing to it. Of course, I'd rather NOT have had the IV. I think it contributed to the shakes I had the last 5-6 hours of labor.

DD was born naturally, after a long pushing session, and was in great health. Because I had GBS, though, they took her away for an hour to test her out after I had her on my chest for a few minutes--but apparently they weren't supposed to do that and someone got chewed out (not by me--the staff did it--I was completely clueless). It was annoying, but I didn't feel like it ruined or soured my labor experience, and the antibiotics didn't hurt her at all.

My GBS test is next Thursday. Hopefully, it'll be neg.
#10 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM

I'm doing a vaginal wash with tinctures of calendula and goldenseal on warm water and taking 2 doses of probiotics and 500 mg of Vitamin C a day. I'll add Grapefruit seed extract 4 days before the test since it can't hurt. I skipped the test last week, so I'm praying for a good result this week as I can't opt out of the abx at the hospital I'm going to deliver at.
#11 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 PM

I declined testing at all. My midwives gave me a protocol that tends to work for most of their moms - Vit C w/ bioflavenoids, garlic capsules, echinacea capsules, grapefruit seed extract, acidophilus and garlic suppositories (can't remember doses but I will come back to edit tomorrow). If I have prolonged ROM I will probably do a hibiclens wash.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page