Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? I had it pretty mild last time - mostly in my hips. But this hurts SO MUCH! The other day I couldn't stand up, and rolling over in bed can be TORTURE! Sometimes just resting in one position makes me able to get up/move or whatever, but it's not guaranteed and I'm miserable because I can't even do everything I want to do, even if I have energy to do it.

If I exert myself (clean up or whatever) I think I'm making it worse... but I can't exactly put myself on bedrest!

Truth is, I probably don't even have it that bad - no "clicking" or anything, and probably at least 75% of the time I'm mobile. Not much comfort from that, though...

Trying to make an appt by a chiropractor, even though we can't afford it. Just looking for some sympathy from someone who knows what this feels like!

Loads of blessings, and learning on the job.
run.gif 

#2 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM

I have severe PSD. Here's some sympathy from someone at the "worst case scenario" end of the scale. I've been on full bed rest since July 9. I haven't slept in so long. I battle depression constantly. In the last two weeks my pain level is a constant 8 -10. The PSD started with my second pregnancy and I was told that it will come earlier and be worse with each subsequent pregnancy. This is the third time I've had this.

I feel your pain mama.
#3 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM

I had it up until a few weeks ago when I broke down and went to PT for it. She gave me 5 simple exercises that realigned my hips and literally changed my pain in a matter of minutes. Now, I keep up on the exercises myself at home if I start to feel any pain.

I hope you can get into the chiro soon. The pain is so awful. Try to keep a pillow between your knees when you roll over and take small steps when you walk. If you do not have a maternity belt, buy one. It has made a huge difference for me.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#4 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_vie_en_rose View Post
I had it up until a few weeks ago when I broke down and went to PT for it. She gave me 5 simple exercises that realigned my hips and literally changed my pain in a matter of minutes. Now, I keep up on the exercises myself at home if I start to feel any pain.

I hope you can get into the chiro soon. The pain is so awful. Try to keep a pillow between your knees when you roll over and take small steps when you walk. If you do not have a maternity belt, buy one. It has made a huge difference for me.
please, please, do your best to describe these miraculous exercises for us. i don't know if i have this or not, but my experience is similar to the OP. plus my butt muscles are KILLING me.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#5 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 AM

I have it. The best thing I have found is to stay active and have as much room as poss to move around in at night.

I saw my physio just over a week ago who realligned everything and gave me exercises but after she realligned it, she wanted me to rest for 48 hours to allow things to settle and that 48 hours was ruddy horrible.

I have woken up with really bad clunking this morning, not to mention pain, but I crashed out last night on the sofa for a couple of hours and DD1 decided to get into my bed at some point last nigh which meant I was kinda trapped in a way that always makes it worse.
#6 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 AM

Not from your DDC but I have it and I'd thought I'd share something that has been helping me A LOT for the last few days.

http://www.vitacost.com/Lumina-Healt...Silica-Formula

I don't know why it helps or even if it will work for anybody else but it has reduced my pain level by about 75% and it starts taking effect within a few minutes of taking it. This is my third pregnancy with SPD and even the chiropractor wasn't helping this time.

#7 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post
...and have as much room as poss to move around in at night.
Doesn't work too well with my 1 yr old, my 3 yr old, and me in a twin size bed... lol

Thank you so much all of you, it's just much harder feeling like you're the only one.

run.gif 

#8 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 12:24 PM

i dodged a bullet this pregnancy. with my first, i was immobile due to the pain. it started at 20 weeks and let up the day i delivered...thank god.

this time due to my placenta hanging out on top of my cervix, the baby hasnt been able to settle into my pelvis and my pubic bone hasnt been tortured, until this last week. its has started acting up, and i had my DH adjust my hips the way my chiro showed him how and it helps. it doesnt last all day but its easy enough to do several times a day to help realign the hips/pelvis.
basically lay on the bed with your knees bent and have dh/dp hold resistance against the inside of your knees while you try to squeeze them together. hold that for about 10-15 seconds, then switch to trying to push your knees open wider while they resist you. then go back to the inner knee resistance (while you squeeze in) and after about 15 seconds have them quickly thrust your knees apart. you may or may not hear a pop on the pubic bone but it usually unlocks it enough to relieve the pain for a little while. it has really helped me keep it under control.

hope that helps somebody. aaaaaand i hope i explained it to where it makes sense. if not, let me know.
michelle
#9 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
please, please, do your best to describe these miraculous exercises for us. i don't know if i have this or not, but my experience is similar to the OP. plus my butt muscles are KILLING me.
Okay, I am posting a link to the PT exercises she gave me. My warning is that you need to know which hip is higher than the other. My left hip has been higher, so I do the exercises for right posterior & left anterior ilium. If the right hip is higher, you do the opposite exercises.

On this link, I did first the "on your back exercise" to realign my hips:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...texercise2.jpg

this is the image for the opposite side:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...xercise1-1.jpg

On this page I did the pillow squeeze, bridge, and than added kegels:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...texercise3.jpg

This is just helpful positions for sleeping and moving:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...texercise4.jpg

If you are having trouble reading the instructions, PM your email and I can send them larger that way.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#10 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM

YES!! It is horrible. Not even twice weekly trips to the chiro are helping

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#11 of 15 Old 10-14-2008, 02:43 AM

I do. I've pretty much stopped doing anything that requires standing, other than the neccessities. Blah.

belly.gifLesli: Wife to Jon, Mommy to my treasures, Kyla(Feb 06), Erin (Nov 08), and "Beanie" due 01/12! We're a home centered family! Homebirth, homecooking, homemade homegrown, and homeschooling!!

#12 of 15 Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 AM

I had this really really bad earlier this week. DH adjusted my back (not recommending medical advice here) and I literally just got right up and could walk!

So I went from being barely able to wiggle out of bed, to walking, sitting, rolling just like a normal person.

It was bizarre and amazing.

And I was chastizing myself mentally b/c I had been in so much pain for so long. (I originally asked DH to "pop" my back b/c my shoulder was stiff, it's a long time injury that he has helped out with in the past.)

What an amazing side effect, lol!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#13 of 15 Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM

i have had my DH adjust my back in 2 places that constantly pop out as well. I have been having the "clicking" for a few months now, i do alot better when i sit down to put on pants/ underwear and try not to lift my legs to high. I also limit trips up and down the stairs. I can't wait until this baby gets out. But i also dread when the baby actually engages, because so far this baby is floating.
#14 of 15 Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I just have to say, I tried acupuncture (family friend) and it took a few hours but I'm doing SOOOO much better now. Getting in and rolling over in bed can still be tough, but I can take stairs now, and haven't had any problems standing up from a chair THANK G-D! I hope it lasts!

run.gif 

#15 of 15 Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Just wanted to add that there has been a lot of threads about this in the birth professionals area. There is a great book called "Relieving Pelvic Pain During and After Pregnancy" by Cecile Rost, which I found so helpful this pregnancy. She is a PT and gives exercises, birth positions, etc. I really feel that this book got me through this pregnancy. Everytime the pain gets to me, I take some time to realign myself and I feel tons better.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page