Warning, major TMI - BM & hemorrhoids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt like I gave birth this afternoon. No joking....I was sweaty, thought I was going to pass out. I was majorly constipated. Finally, I pushed out an ENORMOUS poo. I felt so much better afterwards, but now I have a huge hemorrhoid and deathly scared of it during labor. Any remedies to reduce it? I have some sitz herbs that I will try tomorrow. I might call my Dr. tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions.

I think the bedrest has caused the constipation, b/c I haven't been until now. I drink about 1 gallon of water/day and eat high fiber food. I think I will get some prune juice to try to prevent constipation.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
your post made me giggle a little I have no advise but you looked like you needed a hug after that enormous poo!
Ohh, and totally OT can you give me more info on your siggy and nursing to full term? It sounds like a tantalizing read!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Not in your DDC, but have a little a little second-hand experience. I took my dh to the hospital due to a ruptured hemorrhoid this year (very scary).

This is what we were told.

Sitz baths are great. Tucks pads (which are mostly witch hazel and are okay for pregnant women) are a nice relief. They are supposed to be good to use each time you have a BM instead of toilet paper (which can irritate things). Avoid using the donut cushions (they may make you feel better but make 'roids worse) and sitting on the toilet too long (no more bathroom reading).

And until your scary 'roid heals, it's good to cut down a little on the fiber and eat gentle foods—apple sauce, pasta, oatmeal, etc...

Even though we had been to the hospital, bc DH has a pretty nasty rupture he was able to heal pretty fast and avoid having to see a proctologist and surgery.

If it doesn't start to shrink in a couple days, it may not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor/midwife as you may be able to get a topical prescription to help it shrink and heal faster.

Hope you feel better soon!

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
<-- Not laughing at you but laughing with you. I've told DH on several occasions that certainly no woman has ever worked so hard to give birth as I have to produce a poop Witch hazel has worked pretty well until recently when my 'roids have gotten much worse. I've had to break down and get a prescription steroid cream to reduce inflammation and I'm now also taking a stool softener. The combination seems to be helping somewhat. They're still there but not as painful.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

This may sound odd, but I know someone who had wicked hemorrhoids after childbirth and went to an acupuncturist for them- she said it worked when nothing else did.

! And healing vibes for your poor tush!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 PM

mama, hope you feel better soon.
I also often tell dh that I am practicing for birth when I'm pushing out a big one
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM

I have one vein that swells up and then if I'm careful over the next few days it will calm down on it's own. Warm baths help, and not getting constipated. I've also started taking only 3 or 4 prenatal vitamins a week, because they are what is causing my constipation.

So maybe some patience might help a bit. Hope you feel better soon!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! No problem about laughing. It is kind of funny. I actually thought it was worse than giving birth. I almost had a "glow" afterward.

My mom was trying to help too. Here is a 60 yo woman, trying to help remove a 37 yo woman's poo out of her butt.(literally, she was trying to get it out) I leaned on her while I pooped it out. I thought she was going to fall over when she saw how big it was. We were both surprised that I was not bleeding.

But on a more serious note, I was thinking about this experience and being a mother and what you will do for your kids, even when they are adults. It is so amazing. I feel so privileged to be a mom and to be a mom to another child soon. I have always said my mom is such a great "mom", yes she has her issues, but when you get down to it, I wouldn't replace her for anyone.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Aww. The family that poos together, stays together.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

User Tag List