Baby positioning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone already trying to make sure their baby is in a good birthing position? After we had our doula prenatal appointment on Saturday, she made sure I was doing positiioning exercises at least 30 minutes a day, to make sure that the baby enters the pelvis correctly so that when labor does start I do not end up with days and hours of unproductive prodomal labor which is due to a baby that does not have it's head correctly on the cervix. Since I know this baby is big, I am definetly wanting to make sure it is in the right position..... I thought I would share her tips with you all.

Sit on a cushion in your car to lift your bottom up.

• Check that your favourite chair doesn't make your bottom go down and your knees come up.

• Take regular breaks and move around if your job involves a lot of sitting.

• Watch television on all fours for ten minutes every day.

• Scrub all your floors and skirting boards - our grannies used to say that washing the kitchen floor was a good way of preparing for labour. And they were right! When you are on all fours, the back of your baby's head swings to the front of your abdomen.

Place your head/shoulders on the bed/floor and your butt high in the air for 10-20 minutes at a time to help ensure the baby stays head down and engages correctly.

I found that the last one does help when it comes to reliving some pelvic pressure and making my back less sore.

Also is anyone using the gentle birth formula? I started it on Saturday and had to laugh after the first few doses, as it says it helps tone the uterus, well at least for me that was quite the understatement. It makes it quite irritable, but I can see how in the long run it will hopefully make labor not seem as long or hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Yep!
We were pretty sure Little Bean was/is occiput posterior at my last appt.
So I've been doing many of those exercises...
also got an exercise ball to perch on.

Flip baby flip!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM

oh my goodness... my husband is harassing me about the way I sit because at my last MW appointment he was paying a little too much attention to the info about positioning. "DON'T lean back like that. Lean more forward!"
Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 PM

i've recently gotten pretty paranoid about positioning. thanks for the tips!
i've been using my birth ball a lottt this past week. the first day i really started to worry about the babies position i bounced on the ball for about an hour and babygirl made it very clear that she's head down! haha.

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM

I've been thinking about it, but not doing anything. I think I should start, it can't hurt and can only help at this point. Thanks for the reminder and suggestions!

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booflies View Post
oh my goodness... my husband is harassing me about the way I sit because at my last MW appointment he was paying a little too much attention to the info about positioning. "DON'T lean back like that. Lean more forward!"
Sounds like mine... he read the stuff in the Hypnobabies materials about positioning and he's all, "No more of this for you!" I told him, I've had two anterior babies by paying attention but not being obsessive about it, so I figure I can manage to do the same this time.

The main thing I have done is changed the tilt of my seat in the car. At home I've been 'perching' on the edge of seats anyway because of the SPD and SI pain.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM

thanks! i too have a posterior baby, though thankfully s/he is vertex. definitely need to work on flipping over though!! been trying not to sit on the couch (though im there now. ) and move around more.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM

Absolutely! Baby girl has been head down for awhile now and I can't remember what this position is called, but her body is on the left side of mine and she is looking toward my right side. I constantly have knees and feet poking out of the right side of my belly! My MW said that she is in a great position at this point. She seems very content like she is and doesn't roll around too much, so I am hoping she stays put for another 5-6 weeks!

Also, about the Gentle Birth Formula, my MW recommends it and says that she has great success with it, but I am not taking it... I don't feel there is any need to since I have already had 2 vaginal births and my labors were not long or hard...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 AM

I am taking Gentle Birth, without Blue Cohosh, although I had a fast, easy labor with DS. It's funny how I just assumed all would be fine with his birth and it was. This time I know better and I'm a bit paranoid. Maybe also because we paid OOP for a homebirth and can't afford to pay for the hospital should we need to!

I am trying to sit on my birth ball as much as possible or cross legged on the floor (she says as she sits on the couch with her butt lower than her knees and bad posture) and I just went for an hour walk to try to bring this baby down further. S/he is vertex but I am not sure if LOA or ROA right now... tends to flip, which makes me wonder if that is the reason there hasn't been any dropping.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the positioning tips. I know my lil guy is head down, but he doesn't want to engage his head in the pelvis, because he keeps turning around. I really don't want another back labor, and as my pelvis had been twisted most of this preg. anything that can help get and keep things alligned would be good.

User Tag List