What kind of food/drink during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're putting together our little stash to have on hand for labor. Since I've never been through it does anybody have any suggestions on what you liked during labor to keep yourself nourished and energy levels up (as much as possible)? Anything to avoid?

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM

I wanted nothing to eat during my second labor -- just drank tea, water, and juice. But during my first I did eat a bit -- mostly yogurt and a popcicle. I'm planning on having yogurt/keifer, miso soup, ice cream (I don't know why!), maybe some toast, eggs, ect.

Think of foods you really like that are comforting, yet very gentle on the stomach, yk? Definitely don't want anything that is smelly, strong or... too filling.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM

My last labor, I really wanted ginger ale and that was it. Though I was only in labor for 6 hours....

I want to have stuff around the house, but 37-42 weeks is a long time to be sure to always have things. I think that I am just going to do our regular shopping and hope I have something I'll want to eat (and the midwife will want to eat) on hand. I HAVE put juice, gaterade, and ginger ale in the fridge with notes not to drink them.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 PM

Ha ha ha, I was only in labor about 4.5-5 hours with DD#2, but I was STARVING until transition hit. I had a turkey hoagie and soda about an hour before she was born.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Buckys-That is awesome!

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 AM

Well... humm....

I'll speak up as someone who lost her stomach during active labor. Don't eat it if you will regret seeing it later or something that is, well, "chunky."

Applesauce, juice, miso soup, mashed potatoes, stuff that is relatively easy to digest personally. My DH was kind enough to fix me eggs and I just couldn't keep them in...the smell of them just ...: He was so sweet about it too..

After that, my midwives cut me off of the food wagon for a while. The nausea went away but by that time we had transported and the hossy was pretty adamant that I not eat anything.

Also be sure to get some chipped/crushed ice in your freezer if you need it. I couldn't drink water but I could suck on ice.

Not that I wish the puking on anyone, but if it happens...so not fun.

Afterwords, I practically inhaled a turkey sandwich and anything else consumable they set before me. :
Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 AM

I was just looking at my homebirth supplies list and the mws recommend things like honey, juice, broth/broth based soups, tea etc. Light but enough to keep your energy up.

Though what to have on hand for my midwives?? They are vegetarian and no dairy or nuts, either... all I can think of is pumpkin soup and hummus with veggies . Someone please give me some ideas... I am not a huge cook, so...

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 AM

With DD I went to the hospital and they said I was 4 cms to go home and come back in a couple of hours if Im still having contractions (the nurse was convinced it was false labor even though I was having contractions 3 minutes apart). She also told me to eat breakfest and drink a bunch.. So, DH stopped at McDonalds and got me one of my favorite comfort breakfests (Sausage bisquick with cheese) and a large oj. I ate and threw it up 10 minutes later. Looking back Im pretty sure I was in transition at the time. I didn't want anything to eat after that, went back to the hospital and I was at almost 8cms and this time the nurse figured I was really in labor. I did ask for a large cup of ice though since I was soo hot while in labor.
This time I know the hospital is very anti food during labor so I figure Ill ask them to let me have juice (the one thing they will let you have during labor). Ill probably put some snacks into my labor bag and have DH sneak me some if I get too hungry.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM

I drank almost an entire jug of green Gatorade-- the one that's, like, 1 foot square. And I plan on doing that again!

I packed a bag with energy bars, bananas, apples, a sandwich, nuts. Never ever touched any of it. We actually lost all that food, and the reusable bag that held them, and I was sorely sorry not to have them when the midnight nursing staff brought a starving nursing mom a packet of graham crackers. But those chocolate cookies with macadamia nuts and white chocolate chunks that my doula brought? I ate almost an entire box of them during labor. Who knew?

I think this time i'll take my favorite popsicles, because I remember being dreadfully hot, and my poor doula had to apply ice-filled rubber gloves to my head.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm hoping to labor for nearly the entire time at home so what to have on hand shouldn't be that hard. We do have a food bag stashed for the birth center which also includes food to eat after labor and things for my husband. We've set aside: orange juice, apple juice, cheese cubes, bagel chips, oatmeal packets, soup, jello, pudding, applesauce, Mother's Milk tea bags. I also plan on putting in some iced tea and a few small bottles of milk as well as a few bagels.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
I was just looking at my homebirth supplies list and the mws recommend things like honey, juice, broth/broth based soups, tea etc. Light but enough to keep your energy up.

Though what to have on hand for my midwives?? They are vegetarian and no dairy or nuts, either... all I can think of is pumpkin soup and hummus with veggies . Someone please give me some ideas... I am not a huge cook, so...
I am planning on making a black bean soup (going to make and freeze incase I don't feel like cooking). Saute an onion, several carrots, a couple stalks of celery, a green pepper, and two cloves of garlic in EVOO until the onions are transparent. Toss that in a 6 quart crockpot, dump in 4 cans black beans, 2 cans diced tomatos, 4-6 cups water (you can add vegex broth paste or vegitable bullion for extra flavor) and season to taste with cumin, thyme, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook in on low 7-8hrs, or high 3-4hrs. To make it a really terrific meal, make some cornbread. For a 13x9 pan of gluten-free cornbread (you can use reg. flour instead of spelt if you don't have problems with gluten) you need: 2 cup cornmeal, 1.5 cup spelt flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoon baking powder, 2 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoon melted butter, 2 cup milk (rice milk works nicely too). Mix dry ingredients first, then gently fold in wet ingredients using a wooden spoon. Batter should be fluffy and light. DO NOT OVER MIX!!! Bake at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.

Darn. Now I'm hungry again!!

For me during the birth I have a box under my bed next to my birthing supplies. It contains apple juice, coconut water, instant miso soup.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
I am planning on making a black bean soup (going to make and freeze incase I don't feel like cooking). Saute an onion, several carrots, a couple stalks of celery, a green pepper, and two cloves of garlic in EVOO until the onions are transparent. Toss that in a 6 quart crockpot, dump in 4 cans black beans, 2 cans diced tomatos, 4-6 cups water (you can add vegex broth paste or vegitable bullion for extra flavor) and season to taste with cumin, thyme, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook in on low 7-8hrs, or high 3-4hrs. To make it a really terrific meal, make some cornbread. For a 13x9 pan of gluten-free cornbread (you can use reg. flour instead of spelt if you don't have problems with gluten) you need: 2 cup cornmeal, 1.5 cup spelt flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoon baking powder, 2 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoon melted butter, 2 cup milk (rice milk works nicely too). Mix dry ingredients first, then gently fold in wet ingredients using a wooden spoon. Batter should be fluffy and light. DO NOT OVER MIX!!! Bake at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.

Darn. Now I'm hungry again!!

For me during the birth I have a box under my bed next to my birthing supplies. It contains apple juice, coconut water, instant miso soup.
That sounds yummy! Thanks so much nerdymom!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 PM

I also didn't want to eat during labor. My midwife did convince me to eat some though. I had a long labor.

I say have fruit on hand (think melons and such but not oranges) because it will give you energy *and* it tastes the same coming back up if you do vomit. Watermelon is especially nice to throw back up.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 PM

I don't even know if I tasted what I threw up. I was so far into it, I barely remember.

Keep in mind what you let your DH or helper eat during labor, too --- DH and my doula each had a Grecian salad just before we left for the hospital and no matter how many times I made him brush his teeth, I could smell the lettuce and garlic and whatever else was in the salad. It was horrible. I could smell it from like three feet away. Thank goodness I didn't eat any!

User Tag List