Any tricks to bring down bloat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been pretty lucky that my feet only swell if I'm in the car for a long time and then I can put my feet up, drink water and it goes away. The past week my ankles are swollen and my normal tricks don't work. My BP is OK, so I'm not worried about that. Any other tricks or foods to eat that help bring it down a bit? It seemed so much easier to eat foods with high water content in summer like watermelon and stuff, but it's not in season now.

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Try alfalfa. Great for Vit K and for fluid retention

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#3 of 10 Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 PM

i drink gatorade and it takes my swelling down immediately, you need to up your electrolytes so i would recommend drinking something with electrolytes instead of just plain water. at this point if i just drink water i get swollen almost immediately because it flushes all my salts out.
#4 of 10 Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM

I ditto all of the above recommendations, esp. the alfalfa, and also recommend that you make sure you are salting your foods to taste. If your feet swell too much, soak them in epsom salts.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#5 of 10 Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM

dandelion root tea or nettle
#6 of 10 Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
i drink gatorade and it takes my swelling down immediately, you need to up your electrolytes so i would recommend drinking something with electrolytes instead of just plain water. at this point if i just drink water i get swollen almost immediately because it flushes all my salts out.
Just be mindful of your overall daily sugar intake here. I drank a lot of gatorade with DD1 to help increase amniotic fluid and decrease bloat. I ended up gaining a lot because I wasn't watching the rest of my diet as close as I should have been with sugar. You may want to try the G2 because it has 1/2 the sugar and lower in calories.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#7 of 10 Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 AM

If you don't like the artificial ingredients in Gatoraid, I drink coconut water. It's different than coconut milk btw. Just 100% coconut water is available at most grocery stores, health food stores, and Whole Foods, if you have one nearby. Look in the natural foods section, near the juices.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#8 of 10 Old 10-18-2008, 12:56 PM

I've been drinking some gaterade, but I really like Smart Water. All the good, none of the sugar.

Chlorophyll does the trick like the alfalfa. Of course if you are having any issues clearing your colon...that can take care of that as well.
#9 of 10 Old 10-18-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, coconut water sounds really good right now and I've never had it before.

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#10 of 10 Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
p.s

i'm 36.5 wk along. By this time last pregnancy I could feel my ankles swell when I was on them too long and had already carpal tunnel syndrome.
This time I haven't had any symptoms thus far, and I think what has been different for me is
1. eating out less, so less sodium in my diet. I was religious about drinking water last time and am pretty good this time too.
2. holding in my belly. I swear that I think this is the key. Even last pregnancy, when I would remember to do so, the pressure I felt in my lower extremities decreased. That band of muscle below your belly. As if, when you weren't pregnant, pulling in your abdomen so your pants were flat in front.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page