False alarm! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night, a few hours before sunrise, I woke up with strong contractions that were pretty close together and lasted about 30-45 seconds each. I had to breathe through them and they were unlike any I've ever had before. I also had a lot of low, intense back pain and couldn't get comfortable lying in bed. I laid awake until the sun came up, fully intending to rise early and walk around, but dozed off instead, and when I woke at 9am they were gone.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 38 weeks today and so, so ready to meet my son! Did my little practice labor this morning signal that I might experience the real thing soon?

Please oh please oh please...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope you get the real thing soon! I'm getting impatient as well.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM

I was wondering kind of the same thing, I'm 35 weeks and the "bh" contractions are getting more and more uncomfortable and much more frequent.

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

oh, nothing is more frustrating than those false alarms, It seemed to me, everytime I reached the point, where I was like ok, these aren't stopping, they are really intense, and would start really paying attention to breathing through them, they would stop.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the real thing soon.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Almost every night! They start around 10, wake me up off and on until 2 or 3 and then go away. I'm only 34 weeks, tho, so I'm glad they keep calming down..

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 PM

OK mama....here's the best piece of wisdom I've ever heard!!! My MW just said that based on the hundreds of mamas she's delivered that she has certainly learned one thing...................

LABOR EVOLVES!

She said that majority of her mamas evolve....their bodies rev up and cool down a few times before really labor begins. This is the bodies way of preparing everything ahead of time and getting some of the work out of the way! HTH

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM

That happened to me on Thursday night... DS was born on Saturday morning just past midnight

Have you tried to "encourage" things at all? Walking, sex, spicy food?

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

I've been walking every day, doing pelvic rocks, and we're going to try sex tonight for the first time in months. I eat spicy food all the time anyway but maybe I'll start eating even more.

Thanks for the information and kind words, everybody!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 AM

we also had this on friday night, finally i took some sleeping pills, because the ctx were not changing at all after 5 hours, and went to bed, i woke up to a few, but we are still waiting for babe.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM

I have had cxs, 3-4 minutes apart for over a minute long several times in the past 2 weeks. This past weekend I had some fairly strong cramping. I wondered if this could be it, but after a bath and rest, they went away. I think your body is getting ready. I never experienced cxs like I am now with DD's pg. I felt completely normal before going into labor. Sometimes, I wonder if I will know when it is "time" unless my water breaks like it did last time. I trust that I will know.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl View Post
I have had cxs, 3-4 minutes apart for over a minute long several times in the past 2 weeks. This past weekend I had some fairly strong cramping. I wondered if this could be it, but after a bath and rest, they went away. I think your body is getting ready. I never experienced cxs like I am now with DD's pg. I felt completely normal before going into labor. Sometimes, I wonder if I will know when it is "time" unless my water breaks like it did last time. I trust that I will know.
I never had a single contraction before going into labor with DD either.. I remember exactly when I went into labor because I got a contraction and 10 minutes later I got another one. It picked up from there and I had DD about 16 hours later. This time Ive had a couple but only while nursing the last week or so. I haven't had one when I wasn't nursing

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM

i have been up all night with pretty good ctx. happened last night too, dont think its labor. its really frustrating. i feel like i get no sleep at all.

hopefully all this work is meaning that i am at least making some progress.
i am a little over 37 weeks right now, so i could have 5 more weeks of this bs.
i sure hope this baby comes a little bit early.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM

I've had stuff like that happen to me with this pregnancy so many times. Last night we watched a video in our Bradley class (a video of Dr. Bradley teaching a class) and he talked about all the signs of "true labor". I told my DH that I must have been in "true labor" about 10 times now, lol.

In a way it's good because DH and I get lots and lots of time to practice relaxing and breathing through contractions, comfort measures, etc. However, I probably won't believe I'm in active labor until either my water breaks or I hit transition. It's a good thing the midwife isn't too far away!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
i have been up all night with pretty good ctx. happened last night too, dont think its labor. its really frustrating. i feel like i get no sleep at all.

hopefully all this work is meaning that i am at least making some progress.
i am a little over 37 weeks right now, so i could have 5 more weeks of this bs.
i sure hope this baby comes a little bit early.

omigosh if i go till 42 weeks i will just die. i am 35 weeks and cannot stand the wait, i am so voer being pregnant. i keep thinking "it could be 2 more weeks!" and then reality says "actually it could be 7 more weeks!".

User Tag List