Bed Rest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm 35 wks, and 2 days pregnant and just got told this morning I have to be on complete bed rest indefinitely, only getting up to use the bathroom. It was disappointing since DP and I planned a three day trip to NJ next week, and may not be able to go now... It was pretty much a surprise.

I went to the midwife on Thursday for a normal visit and they said to come back Monday to check my pressure and possibly draw blood if my numbers were high because it was like 138/82 (or something near 140/90 but not over). I had some protein in my urine, and pitting edema in my feet and lower legs. I figured it'd be fine and they might tell me to cut out a few hours (I had been working 6 days a week), not full bed rest! But I gained a half pound, still was swollen, and my bp was over the 140/90 mark. *sigh*

So now I'm trying to not stress, I took a note to my job. I suppose I'd just like support and tips on how to make the most of this situation. I've got books and knitting, and literally about 50 thank you notes to write from this weekend's surprise baby shower.

Thanks.
#2 of 14 Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 PM

I am sorry you are on bedrest and about your trip too. It sounds like you a few things to do to pass the time.
I am not on strict bedrest and can get up a little bit. So far, it hasn't been that bad. I haven't even watched that much tv or even read a book. My mom is here helping and caring for DD. Plus, I have been napping 1-2x/day. Not sure really where the time goes by, but I am surviving.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#3 of 14 Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM

I'm sorry!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 14 Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Sorry you are on bedrest! That sucks..
Books and puzzles are great.. TV if you like to watch it.. Just about anything to pass the time. Take it easy! You don't want your blood pressure any higher

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 14 Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the support. I actually just got back from an overnight stay in the hospital. This was me when they told me
So now I'm home unless they find protein in my urine from the fun 24hr sample I gave them. Very frustrated now.
#6 of 14 Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM

sorry mama! Sounds like maybe you should practice your birth relaxation technique A LOT. As the others have said, try not to stress.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#7 of 14 Old 10-23-2008, 03:23 AM

mama! I am sorry that you're on complete bed rest. I hope your little one is able to stay put for another couple of weeks, and that you're able to be at home, in your own space.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#8 of 14 Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Me too.
I just posted in the main forum looking for a support thread. I was told today that I've been "risked out" of a birth center birth, due to the levels of protein found in my 24 sample and my BP being high. Very disappointing, my midwife was saying that I might have to be induced in the next week or so if my BP spikes again, or if there's any other symptoms ("bad" non stress test results, etc.).

Today hasn't been a good day.
#9 of 14 Old 10-24-2008, 12:36 AM

I'm sure this is really really hard. Nothing is going how you expected. However, preecclampsia can be really scary. I'm hopeing you can have a good birth and a healthy babe and mom.

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#10 of 14 Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 AM

I'm sorry to hear that...
#11 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm off bedrest because my baby is here!!! :::
I had an "emergency" induction on Friday due to pre-eclampsia. Samara Marie's birth story (in its own thread) is coming soon. I had a vaginal drug free birth with a midwife in the hospital after being induced. It can be done!
#12 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 AM

Congrats!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM

Whoo hoo congrats!

#14 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 PM

yay! :

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page