anterior cervix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does that mean?

I had my midwife at the OB check me today (I haven't been able to find my cervix in a few weeks) and she said I was 2-3 (no biggie) still thick and anterior?

Jamie 24 yr old mama to K Paige 6, Chloah Liz 4, homebirth Addison Elliot 1 (11.17.08) proud aunt to Marley Colt (2.11.08):::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM

I couldn't think of how to explain it so here's a quote from another site: "Before labor begins, the cervix drops into the vaginal canal at an angle that makes it point toward the back (posterior). One sign of progress is that the cervix has become anterior, meaning that it's position has realigned to allow the baby to drop into the vagina (birth canal). This is generally a change that happens early in labor."

So it's a good sign! But it's odd that she phrased it as "still anterior." It's possible she meant "still posterior" and misspoke...because anterior should represent a change/progress. Hm. You could always call and ask.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
I couldn't think of how to explain it so here's a quote from another site: "Before labor begins, the cervix drops into the vaginal canal at an angle that makes it point toward the back (posterior). One sign of progress is that the cervix has become anterior, meaning that it's position has realigned to allow the baby to drop into the vagina (birth canal). This is generally a change that happens early in labor."

So it's a good sign! But it's odd that she phrased it as "still anterior." It's possible she meant "still posterior" and misspoke...because anterior should represent a change/progress. Hm. You could always call and ask.
: My OB told me that my cervix is "still posterior" when she was checking me this morning. I'm 1 cm and 50% effaced.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 PM

When your cervix moves anterior, that is making progress. It depends if the "still" was solely related to your effacement ("thick") or if it was meant for both.

I would guess that maybe you're not very effaced, but your cervix has moved forward/anterior.

I am 1.5cm, 50% effaced and at a -3 (-2 when I am standing). No change since last time I was checked, with the exception that my cervix has now moved forward/anterior.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah her exact wording was something like "2-3 and still thick, but your anterior"

I wasn't sure what it meant.

I had a lot of bloody show last night, I've never had that either. I'm guessing its from the CC, which will be my last, but I've had them before and never had blood so who knows! I'll be 39 weeks saturday and hopefully that means something is happening?

Jamie 24 yr old mama to K Paige 6, Chloah Liz 4, homebirth Addison Elliot 1 (11.17.08) proud aunt to Marley Colt (2.11.08):::
#6 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the same due date!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

yay)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
We have the same due date!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page