Expecting to go past your due date? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so by the due date I go by, I am 37w5d.
I expect to go "post dates" as my midwife calls it... because my daughter was born after her due date.
I feel like everyone else past 37 weeks is actively looking for "clues" that baby is on the way. I am not looking at all yet. I think it will make time feel like it's going slower. It's not as if I am not prepared for birth. I just am not seeking those little hints that baby will be born soon.
Am I the only one who expects to go past my due date and isn't looking (or doesn't plan to look) for signs of impending labour at this point in pregnancy??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 AM

You are not alone...
#3 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 AM

No, I'm not expecting to go past my dates. My doctor won't let me. And I'm perfectly ok with that.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 AM

I am 37w1d and I am not looking for any signs of labor yet. I'm not completely ready for the baby yet (still things needing to be done at home) so I'm staying in denial that she can come early. Maybe once I am completely settled then I will start thinking about it more, but for now I am at peace just waiting.

Quoteriginally Posted by littlehaloSAHMama to Dylan 08/12/05 & Delia 11/04/08 , and
#5 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehalo View Post
I am 37w1d and I am not looking for any signs of labor yet. I'm not completely ready for the baby yet (still things needing to be done at home) so I'm staying in denial that she can come early. Maybe once I am completely settled then I will start thinking about it more, but for now I am at peace just waiting.
Same here. Both my other pgs went "post dates" so I expect to do the same with this one.

Plus, I'm also in denial that it could happen before 40 wks. I have stuff to get done first. I'm in no hurry for the baby to get here any time before the next 4 weeks.
#6 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM

I'm expecting to go over. I am 38w2d and had my son at 42w, so that's what feels normal I guess. I have no feeling at all, no 'signs', that I am about to have a baby any time soon. I'm fine with that - there's stuff I'd like to get done first and I just finished work today so would love some me (and me/ds) time before I have the baby.
#7 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 AM

First DD I was induced, unnecessarily due to a mess up with dates, at around 40 weeks.

Second DD I went to 42+4, I wasn't bothered.

This time, I am 39 weeks today, I have NEVER felt like this. I have not just a desire, but a frantic NEED to et this baby out. I can't understand it, I am just in panic mode with itevery day and its making things drag. I cannot relax about it at all.

I know I will probably go over due but I cannot stand the way I am feeling, I just wish it was over with
#8 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM

I probably should, but since both of mine have been born within days of my due date (39w4d and 40w2d), I just can't fathom going significantly past my due date, especially since my intuition has told me all along that this one is going to be small.

With that said, I've only told people that I expect her here before Thanksgiving (and Thanksgiving would be 42w2d, so yeah, I hope she's here by then!!)

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#9 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Both my boys were about 2 weeks over, my girls within a week of the due date.We don't know if this is a boy or not, so I fully expect to labor in mid december, as our duedate is nov. 30.Of course, any time I think i know something, something else happens, so watch me have a hidden twin in mid Nov!!!

:::
#10 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Both of my other kids were just a little late, so I am expecting the same thing this time. It'd be shocking to me if I went into labor in the next couple of weeks. (I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow.)

That's okay, though, I've got so much stuff to do to keep me busy. I am looking forward to being able to lay down without heartburn and get some of the weight back off, but beyond that, it's all cool.
#11 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Yes, I'm expecting to go over. At 38w 4d everybody keeps telling me how close I am - do I have my bag packed? No. Carseat installed? No. Sling and diaper covers finished? No. I figure that I still have a couple of weeks to get those things done. If baby came now I'd totally panic!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#12 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Just curious what everyone else thinks. It sounds as though those of you who have already gone late feel you are going to go late again. So is it safe to assume that you all feel if someone went early before, the odds are good of them going early again? Or is it a crap shoot? I went at 38 weeks and 1 day with DS#1. Now I am 37 weeks tomorrow, and already 80% effaced and a fingertip dilated. Does anyone feel its looking good for me? If you have ready any of my other threads, you know that I am borderline DESPERATE to have this baby.
#13 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM

I don't know.

I thnk once you have been late before, you find that for the next baby its probably best to expect to go late again because of the way it can make you feel. It just gets too much (the phone calls from family, the 'still not gone yet' from shop keepers, the 'you look like you might explode' from friends) and then their is the whole physical thing and the fact you keep expecting and hoping and then waking up to another morning.

Anyway, I think some people are longer cookers, some are shorter cookers and some do variable cook babies.
#14 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 12:26 PM

i don't know if they effacement/dilation thing means a whole lot cause i was 2cm dialted for a few weeks with ds before his birth. my midwives don't do internal exams so i am not sure about effacement but i do cervical checks on myself just for curiousity sake and i can feel that i am over 1 finger's width dialted but i am only 35 weeks 2 days.

i went to 41 weeks 4 days with ds, my mom went to exactly her due date with me and 2 weeks past w/my brother so i just have a feeling that there is no chance of it happening earlier for me but who knows, one can hope!

my husband says i will probably go over because i am so nuturing that i just want to keep the baby in forever, arg, sweet but i am feeling so done already!
#15 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post
and some do variable cook babies.
I don't know why... but that, first thing in the morning, just makes me laugh!

I am glad I'm not alone. And I guess I am not completely ready either... our carseat isn't installed and there are a few random things I need to get. Like some of you, I am just not wanting to hear "oooh, so close" when I could have another 20 days or more. THe end of pregnancy tends to go at a snail pace... no need to make it slower than that!
#16 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM

as far as preparation goes; i am having a home birth so i am not worried about the carseat. i don;t plan on leaving the house with the baby for a couple weeks at least.
#17 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Even though women tend to go "late" their first pregnancies, I am wishing this baby here with all of my might. I have no real expectations, I've been visualizing a birth before the end of October all along. I think it has a lot to do with mindset. The mind is a powerful thing. I'm trying not to get hung up on a date, but instead send the baby "come any time you feel like it (the sooner the better)" vibes. I would like to meet this baby before Halloween.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#18 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:01 PM

I wish I was really expecting the baby to go past my EDD, but I know I'm looking for signs and it will probably work against me. I know all the statistics for first time moms, etc. but I'm still hopeful that he'll show up before EDD since my ILs are coming to stay with us just 7 days after EDD and I'd like as much time as possible with my little one before they swoop in. However, up until yesterday (37w4d) I've been way too comfortable and working out so I feel like he's too cozy in there!

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#19 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM

All three of my girls have been overdue
1- 41 wks 4 days
2- 42 wks 5 days
3- 42 wks

so I don't expect to go early - I bake them well I guess. Though I don't know if this is a boy or a girl so if it is a boy and he wanted to come closer to my due date I wouldn't complain but at almost 36 weeks, I figure I have another month or so.
#20 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Just curious how much these babies weighed that went over EDD? My sister and I were both born a day before my Mom's EDD and we were 7lb15oz and 8lb13oz respectively.

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#21 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
I think it has a lot to do with mindset. The mind is a powerful thing. I'm trying not to get hung up on a date, but instead send the baby "come any time you feel like it (the sooner the better)" vibes.
LOL, can you tell this to my midwife who said no less than five times at my last appointment "you'll probably go post-dates"!? It really doesn't help my mindset
#22 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Personally, I expect to go over my EDD, but I have told the baby that anytime after the birth pool gets here is fine with me. My midwife seems to think that this baby is coming sooner than I think but she's being polite about it and not saying much...other than to make sure she knows when the tub is coming and that I have my stuff together.

DD was 41 weeks, 5 days and weighed 8 lbs 5 oz.

I'm trying not to get hung up on dates, but everyone around us keeps insisting that "I'm about to pop." EWWWW wouldn't that be kind of gross??!!
#23 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 PM

My gut says I will go late (I'm 36w3d), but I haven't adjusted to that idea yet. Dd was born on my due date last time, but I was induced after a slow amniotic fluid leak. I probably would have gone longer. I feel good and not ready to have the baby yet. Not until at least my edd, then I might start getting a little antsy.
#24 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM

I was 41 weeks even with my son. He weighed 6lbs 13oz

I am hoping for right around my due date. I am trying to be zen, but I would love to have him in my arms!
#25 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM

There is so much confusion with my due date that Im not sure which one to consider "it". Right now I think they have the 11th down (not sure). Im expecting to go to the 15th or 16th.. I don't know why but I do. My original due date from my first us was the 16th.

DD was born on her due date and weighed 8lbs 9ozs. Im hoping this one weighs less than DD did.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#26 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 PM

I expect to go past due. I'm 37w1d and still have half of next week to go to work. Then I'm looking forward to a few weeks at home where I can sleep in, finish getting organized, order a few more supplies, make my birthing necklace, etc. Like some of you said, I would panic if I started seeing signs right now! I'm in no rush - I'm actually pretty comfortable and happy to enjoy a relaxing final few weeks.
#27 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM

My 42w0d boy was 7lb11oz, so right around average I think? Though I am in Asia, so they call that big.
#28 of 28 Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM

My first was born at 36+3... I am now 38+1. I have been ready for 2 full weeks now, set up for a HB, birth pool set up and everything. I should deflate it tonight. Maybe I'll go into labor I just don't feel like anything is going to happen anytime soon. But he was 7lbs 5oz at 36 weeks so I am petrified of a huge baby.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page