Tearing... (potential TMI) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... I'm wondering... I realistically know there is no way to be sure, but what has me really worried is tearing... I tore pretty extensively with my first delivery and am wondering how likely that is to affect my tearing again with this upcoming one?

Granted, I was on my back with the first (my choice, was actually most comfortable) and the pushing stage was really fast and intense, and so I know there are things to work with... but...

how likely is already having scar tissue going to affect things?

Anyone out there tear with their first but not their second?

cross-posting in Homebirth...
#2 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax3 View Post

Anyone out there tear with their first but not their second?
Yes! My first was 8lbs 5oz and was born after 3 hours of pushing, and I tore. My second was 9lbs 5oz and was born after 10 minutes of pushing... with no tears.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#3 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 AM

With my first I had a small tear, and with my second they placed one stitch.

I think you are less likely to tear with the second and subsequent children, but it can still happen. I have a friend who was 3rd degree with both first and second. It's probably a pretty individual thing.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 AM

I was just talking to my dr about this and he said that while there are things you can do to minimise it (ie slower pushing stage, positioning etc) in his experience it's kind of a crap shoot. I am also worried about this as I had a 3rd degree with my first (super long labour but pushed him out in 10 mins) and have scar tissue. He said it can stretch and there's no reason it would necessarily happen again but that if I do tear it's likely to be in the same place due to the scar tissue.
#5 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM

i was just reading about this subject in ina may's guide last night. she says she has never seen any tearing in a mama who was engorged. and one way of getting to that state is to stimulate the clit. i'll take a second look later when i get a chance to see what else she had to say about it.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#6 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Titania, I'm reading that book now so I'll look that up!

Thank you, ladies! The more stories I get the better!
#7 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Im a little worried about this as well. I had so much tearing and so many stitches with DD.. However, DD did come out with her hand beside her head which I guess isn't a good birth position. Im hoping that its not that bad this time.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 03:44 AM

I am planning a waterbirth this time, and aiming to birth on my hands and knees. Obviously that may not happen, I will go with what my body is telling me to do at the time, but I am hoping that I don't tear again. I'd also like to try the engorgement theory

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I hear perineal stretching before labor is really beneficial, too... I liked the mantra the one lady did in Ina May's book -- she just kept repeating to herself "I'm gonna get huge, I'm gonna get huge..." and she did... I might just have to try that, too!
#10 of 10 Old 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax3 View Post
I hear perineal stretching before labor is really beneficial, too... I liked the mantra the one lady did in Ina May's book -- she just kept repeating to herself "I'm gonna get huge, I'm gonna get huge..." and she did... I might just have to try that, too!
yes! i loved that!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page