C-Section Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Several in our DDC have already had c-sections (either planned or unplanned) and I know several of us have them scheduled. Thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss c/s related things (fears, thoughts, healing, etc).

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

My c/s is scheduled for 10/29. I'm starting to freak out a little bit that it's so close. I really wanted to go into labor on my own first, and there's still a little time, but I'm not counting on it at this point.

My last c/s was most certainly unplanned and I didn't have time to be scared about anything b/c it was all happening so fast. This time, I'm starting to worry about things like the spinal and about how it will feel to be pregnant one minute and not the next with no labor in between. Just little things, really...I'm trying not to think about them, but it's hard.

Also, the unfounded fears are starting to creep in...what if the OB gets in there and finds my uterus in a horrible state and suggests we not risk another pregnancy . That would break my heart. I know there's really no reason to think that, but I'm hormonal, so I get to worry about whatever I want .

I'm also worried about going to my brother's wedding on 11/1, only 3 days post-c/s...with a brand new nursling. We'll just go with the flow and be there for as much of it as we can. I know I'll still be quite sore and probably won't feel like sitting up for very long.

In other news, I'm doing some serious nesting/cleaning today. I don't know if it's because I know it's 4 days away or if it's "real" nesting.

Hugs to all of the other c-section mamas!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Hugs, mamas I feel like I'm finally recovered from my c-section. I'm still in mourning though. I missed out on 1/3 of my pregnancy, labor, etc. And since it was so early-term, they had to do a classical incision, so I'll never be allowed to VBAC. Ever. Which is pretty sad. But my little boy is so totally worth it!
#4 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have a vertical incision as well, which is the reason for my RCS. We actually did manage to find an OB who would attend a VBAC for me, but we ultimately decided that we weren't comfortable with the risks. As I was laying down on the operating table with DS I remember thinking that I would definitely be VBACing my next child. Then, the OB told me he would attempt a low transverse incision, but sometimes they had to go vertical. I thought that was weird b/c the only thing that I'd ever heard about vertical incisions was that they don't do them anymore...unless it was truly a have-to-get-the-baby-out-right-now emergency. This wasn't that. I even wondered why he was telling me that. I wish he would've prepared me a little more by telling me that vertical incisions were frequently used in pre-term c-sections. The next thing I heard was him telling me that I would, in fact, need a RCS. I didn't care at the time. I was just so glad to hear my 32-weeker crying without oxygen or anything.

I think I was off the pain medication and feeling mostly normal around 10 days pp last time. I hope to recover as quickly this time, although I'm sure it'll be a little more challenging having a 2.5 year old. DH is taking 2 weeks off from work, though, and then my mom and MIL will help whenever I need it.

Oh, and the other thing that just kills me about all of this is not being able to pick up DS for a while. I'm trying to prepare him for it all. Today I told him that after the doctor takes the baby out that my tummy would be sore for a while and that he wouldn't be able to push on it (he's always pushing on my tummy, playing with my belly-button, etc). A few minutes later, he said "Doctor take baby out. Mama's tummy sore. William no touch it, right?" I just had to pick him up and love on him. He's such a big boy, but he's still my baby, ya know? How is he suppose to understand it all?

Crying now

#5 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM

I think this thread is a great idea. This will be my 3rd c-section. I was really hoping for a vba2c but it wasn't in the cards. I felt upset at first but I have come to terms and I am ok as long as baby is ok. My c-sec is set for Nov.5th and I am really hoping (like mrs-mama) to go into labor before than...although I will only be 37 weeks so there is little chance of that.

I do not fear the c-section itself, but the aftermath. I worry that they will seperate me and baby too long (I waited 3 hrs to hold ds1). This will not happen again! I fear that this baby will be jaundice and they will try to convince me to supplement with formula. I am prepared to fight tooth and nail Both my other boys were jaundiced and NEVER supplemented, however, when I spoke to nurse at hospital she said "it was hospital procedure". Well, I say they can shove hospital procedure up their you-know-whats!!!!:

I wrote an "after-birth plan" for all the important stuff and have quite a few articles about breastfeeding and jaundice printed out. So I feel prepared....somewhat

So, thanks Mrs-Mama for starting this thread

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#6 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM

I am glad to see this thread as well. I am scheduled for 10/28- this baby is big and breech and my amniotic fluid is too low to attempt inversion. I was disappointed at first, because I had such an easy labor and delivery with my first son (7 years ago), but I think I have come to terms with it.
I am scared of surical complications, and not being able to nurse right away. My DH is a "medical-phobe" and does not do well with invasive procedures (ie he passes out) so I am bringing my mother to the operating room with me- but I want the baby to be with DH ASAP because I know baby will recognize his voice. I am not sure if they will allow 2 "guests" in the OR.
I have a NST and ultrasound appt tomorrow and will discuss everything then- but in the meantime I am trying to prepare the house for the extended recovery time I will need. Any advise from someone whose been there on what to have nearby for when we come home?
#7 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E's Mama View Post
...but in the meantime I am trying to prepare the house for the extended recovery time I will need. Any advise from someone whose been there on what to have nearby for when we come home?
-Easy meals and/or takeout menus
-Stretchy underwear that comes up higher than your incision
-Vitamin E oil to help your scar heal...I started mine after my 2 week checkup

I know there's more, but I can't think right now

#8 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM

I second all of Mrs.Mama's advice

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#9 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the tips! I will go buy some new undies tomorrow.
As for food, I have stocked up on soups and got the slow cooker out so that I can maintain my fluids for breastfeeding. My DH is a cook and makes awesome soups.
Any specific Vit E recommendations? I used to pop the capsules to use on little scars- but I imagine that would be a lot of capsules after awhile.
Thank you again!!!!
#10 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

My OB recommended popping the capsules open, but DH found some Vitamin E oil in a small bottle at the drug store.

#11 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM

I appreciate this thread and the healing advice you ladies have given! My c/s was an emergency one due to severe placenta abruption-totally unexpected, but also a complete and utter blessing in my case as my MW and the obstetric surgeon felt that continuing labor would be life threatening for both me and Penelope. I wish all of the mamas with upcoming c-sections the best of luck!!!!!!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#12 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM

I'm scheduled for my second c-section on 11/4. I started having preterm labor at 35 weeks, which was stopped with two shots of something beginning with a t (can't remember the name). I've been having increasing contractions ever since, but none have been steady enough for me to go into labor naturally.

Our DS was in the NICU for four weeks after he was born. We've been told it was a one in a million situation and won't happen again, but I can't help feeling like it will. I absolutely do not trust any doctors (my first OB/GYN didn't remember that my son had been in the NICU for four weeks at my six week check-up, despite the fact she had performed his circumcision just two weeks before). I feel like they just lie to me and say everything will be okay because they just want to finish the appointment.

I'm depressed and scared and I really just want this one out so it doesn't get sick by being inside too long (what happened with the first).
#13 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM

counting down the 17 days until my second section.

first was unplanned after two days of labor, he just was too stuck to come out 'naturally'. i was sad at first, but now am sooo thankful that we had the option to come out of that situation very healthy and happy!

i have my stretchy clothes and underwear, meals frozen, and plans made, and agree that it will kill me not to be able to pick up dear toddler son! i think i will get some of those frozen slow cooker meals, that sounds like a great idea.

i plan to use my lavender oil earlier this time to see if i can get the scar to disappear. it's not too bad now after 2 years, but i'd like to see if i can fade it faster this time.

also, looking forward to breastfeeding again.

yeah for us!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#14 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 AM

My c-section is scheduled for Nov. 3rd. No other option for us as I had an abdominal myomectomy last year and no doc or lay midwife will allow me to labor with the scar on my uterus. I've accepted that this is how our son is going to come into the world. It is what it is and we have to make the best of it. We have a great birth plan, a doula, and we're birthing at a hospital that is almost 'baby friendly' certified. I'm getting excited. It's weird to know when your baby is coming.

I'm mostly worried about the first 24 hours. I know what it's like to recover from major abdominal surgery and I know what it's like to have a newborn but I don't know what it's like to have both at the same time. I don't want to be in too much pain, but I also don't want to be too drugged up to bond and care for my baby. Advice from you mamas who've been here before?
#15 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM

I use the Burts Bees "Mama Bee Oil" for vitamin E. It looks like next week is a busy one for many of us Are all the c-secs scheduled for the AM? I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am. I probably won't be able to sleep anyway! Are your bags packed? I haven't done this yet....Also, note to self to go to fire station for proper installation of carseat----this will happen AFTER dh gets around to vacuuming the car. :

Oh, 9days and counting....:

#16 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM

I have to be at the hospital at 5:45am as well. I don't think I will sleep much, either. I had a NST and ultrasound this morning, and everything looks good (except baby is still breech). My AFV increased a little with the copious amounts of water I have been consuming and baby looked happy on the strip. I finished my washing this weekend so DH will have matching socks to send DS to school in (I was really concerned about this) while I am in the hospital.

Good luck to all the other Mamas!
#17 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM

hey there pyscho dancer!
take the drugs, being in pain affects your bodies ability to let down the milk.
and enjoy as much time as you can get in the hospital (cause someone else is cooking, cleaning and doing laundry, as well as bringing the baby straight to you whenever you want!)

bonding happens naturally, just keep baby skin on skin as much as you can and REST yourself! you'll do fine!

congrats and good luck

#18 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodancer View Post

I'm mostly worried about the first 24 hours. I know what it's like to recover from major abdominal surgery and I know what it's like to have a newborn but I don't know what it's like to have both at the same time. I don't want to be in too much pain, but I also don't want to be too drugged up to bond and care for my baby. Advice from you mamas who've been here before?

Honestly, the pain was secondary for me because I was so worried about my boys. With ds1 I took the pain meds for the first day and didn't need them again. With ds2, my body took a little longer to recover, however, once I was out of the hospital (we have an extended stay due to jaundice) I had gotten a prescription for the meds but never filled it. I'm not sure how I will be after this one since it is my third, but I do agree with pp, if you need it, take it. Just make sure DR's know you are breastfeeding.

#19 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM

I am scheduled for c-section #3 on Nov 17. I have a few heart conditions that I have known would always prevent me from being able to labor and birth naturally. I have always been at peace with it because I know what my body can and can not handle. I am just thankful I can carry children to begin with. kwim

Anyway, I wanted to let any of you know that are having their first RCS, the pain and recovery is soooo much better the second time around. I could not believe it last time. I have also been told by friends who have had their third RCS that it is even better, so I am hoping for that, too.

Tips for c/s recovery:
-Take pain meds as scheduled to keep pain low. Don't be a hero.
-Get up and walk as soon as you can. It sounds like the last thing you want to do, but it is the best thing to help recovery.
-Bring a nursing pillow (i.e. boppy) to the hospital to prevent any pain with nursing.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#20 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_vie_en_rose View Post
Anyway, I wanted to let any of you know that are having their first RCS, the pain and recovery is soooo much better the second time around. I could not believe it last time. I have also been told by friends who have had their third RCS that it is even better, so I am hoping for that, too.
Well, I am totally not in your DDC, so pardon my intruding, but ITA with this perspective. DD2 was a SRCS after DD1's unplanned Cesarean birth. I labored 14 hours with DD1 and had a manageable recovery. DD2 I didn't labor and felt really good in recovery. The postpartum nurses all commented that I was up and around "just like a vaginal delivery." For those who are laboring beforehand, I totally understand why (and may try going that route should we have more children) but I wanted to encourage those are having a second Cesarean birth experience that you may find it to be better than you had hoped.

Many blessings to all of you!

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#21 of 30 Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Count me in here too. I have a RCS scheduled for Nov. 19th, just 4 days before EDD, so pretty happy about that, I was afraid they would want to do it too soon. This will be my 4th c/s. My first was an attempt at NCB at a birthing center, she got stuck after 2 1/2 hrs pushing. Second attempted VBAC, but the doctor was pushy and after 24hrs of labor I gave in . Third was planned VBAC that ended with a bleeding out previa. So now my scar is too messed up to VBAC. I've come to terms with it, mostly . I still wish a doc would give me a trial of labor, but can't find one willing to take me with my history. Too concerned to do a hb at this point.
Anyways, I agree with everyone saying take the pain meds. It makes such a big difference. But at the same time, don't do too much take it easy, listen to your body. And IME, it gets sooo much easier with every one. My last two c/s's I was begging them to let me up and walking pretty much right after recovery. I get so anxious in hospitals anyways, I like getting up quick. And walking a bit really helps you feel better. The scar pain gets pretty achey if your laying around too long.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#22 of 30 Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM

here too. Mine is scheduled for the 20th of November. I am FREAKING out. DD was an emergency followed up by 2 weeks in the NICU being GBS+. I am having major, major anxiety about being seperated from the baby. DD went to the nursery & DH was to get her in 1 hour - when he went to get her she was gone to the NICU & nobody had bothered to come tell him. so I am a bit freaked about being seperated. Plus I've never been away from DD for more than 12 hours.

I'm stocking my pantry & freezer with easy peasy meals.

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#23 of 30 Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 AM

hi mama kate!
that sucks what happened with them moving the babe to NICU and not alerting you all. grr.

i think i'd make a real pest of myself for this go around and make it very clear that if the baby goes anywhere, there had better be a parent with them or else they will hear from your lawyer. it's tough to be recovering from major surgery and then to have stress like that isn't fair.

sending you good vibes and good wishes for and easier and more cozy experience this time around!

#24 of 30 Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM

Hi ladies.. I'm here too. I was counting on a VBAC, but I was told yesterday its not going to happen.

My last one was an emergency section. I had been induced but she was soooo active during labor!! My OB did a VE and said "well, you're 4 cm and thats not a head anymore" I was rushed in because my labor history is fast.
They had my dates off by 3 weeks, so she was 34 weeks instead of 37. She was still 6 lbs 4 oz, but she had low blood oxygen so she was in NICU for three days, two of them in an incubator the last one just because she woudn't eat and was dropping weight fast.
My liver metabolizes drugs really fast, I usually require at least twice of what most people need. That pushed my time in recovery to SEVEN hours. I was the only person in their and the nurse I had had recently been transferred from hell. She was cruel and cold. When they took my daughter out of me the surgeon said "Oh, she is NOT 3 weeks early, her skull is still in three pieces!" and then a NICU team rushed her out the door. That was the last I heard from anyone until I finally got back up to a room. The nurse refused to call up to tell me how my daughter was doing, she said they'd be too busy. It was awful.

I'm told planned sections are much easier and go smoothly. I'm counting on that. I don't know what will happen with my recovery but this time I'm going to tell the anesthesiologist about my drug processing time. See if I can keep myself out of a long stay in recovery.

So currently I'm scheduled for the 19th. But my OB is trying to get me in for the 12th. I guess we'll find out within the next few days.
#25 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginhipmama View Post
I think this thread is a great idea. This will be my 3rd c-section. I was really hoping for a vba2c but it wasn't in the cards. I felt upset at first but I have come to terms and I am ok as long as baby is ok. My c-sec is set for Nov.5th and I am really hoping (like mrs-mama) to go into labor before than...although I will only be 37 weeks so there is little chance of that.

I do not fear the c-section itself, but the aftermath. I worry that they will seperate me and baby too long (I waited 3 hrs to hold ds1). This will not happen again! I fear that this baby will be jaundice and they will try to convince me to supplement with formula. I am prepared to fight tooth and nail Both my other boys were jaundiced and NEVER supplemented, however, when I spoke to nurse at hospital she said "it was hospital procedure". Well, I say they can shove hospital procedure up their you-know-whats!!!!:

I wrote an "after-birth plan" for all the important stuff and have quite a few articles about breastfeeding and jaundice printed out. So I feel prepared....somewhat

So, thanks Mrs-Mama for starting this thread
Just saw your birth announcement!! Congrats on going into labor before your scheduled date

#26 of 30 Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM

I'm booked for the 13th.
#27 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm happy to say that I'm feeling great 3 weeks post-c/s, but I'm having a hard time taking it easy with two kids to take care of during the day. Also, at my 2 week pp checkup, my OB said that I'm unlikely to damage anything at this point...it's more a matter of being sore. She probably shouldn't have told me that.

I've been carrying DD in the infant carrier from the house to the car and back with ease so this morning I decided to carry her in it while I took DS into preschool . Well, I shouldn't have done that b/c my lower abs are killing me now. I actually had to take some ibuprofen this afternoon.

Take it easy on those c/s recoveries!

#28 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry your feeling sore again. It's easy to do. I found especially if its not your first c/s, recovery is so much easier, you think you can jump right back into things.

I'm going in first thing in the morning- 6am arrival time. Today has been so emotional for me, I keep going from super-excited about meeting her, to freaking out, I know its not so bad, but I just keep thinking about the spinal , even though it doesn't really hurt and this is my 4th, I know what to expect. By this time tomorrow night I'll be holding my little one, who right now remains nameless. Oh I can't wait until tomorrow!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#29 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM

Good luck, MaryLang! You will forget about that spinal as soon as you hear those sweet cries! Sending you fast recovery vibes :
#30 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the spinal, either, but at least it allows us to be awake for our children's births. Since I went into labor before my scheduled C, and was in active labor, nearing transition, I'm ashamed to admit that I got to a point where I was actually looking forward to the spinal taking away all the pain :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page