Does anyone else just think that fall must be the *perfect* time for birthing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chilly nights, blustery days, leaves crackling across the sidewalks, cozy throw blankets, hot soup for dinner, fuzzy socks...

I found being pregnant during a hot New York summer to be pretty horrible. I couldn't get comfortable, the mosquitoes were a nightmare, etc. etc. Even with air conditioning it was a miserable experience. But now I'm all huge and the baby will be here any day now and the fall weather just seems perfect for what I'm about to experience. And once he's born I can bundle him up in funny little hats and mittens and take him on walks through the park until his cheeks are all rosy and we're both tired and happy. Does it get better than that?

Maybe all mamas feel this way about birthing in their respective seasons, but fall just seems so special to me. Anyone else?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM

YES! I love autumn, it's my favorite time of the year. And I can't imagine what I would do right now if it were 98 and sooo humid! I go out and see people in coats and sweaters, and I'm in a skirt and tank top, loving life! I can't wait to bundle my chubby baby up in flannels and fleece.

On a less sentimental note...it'll be easier to hide our transitional bodies in sweaters and long pants.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#3 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 PM

awww..... it almost makes me want to live in a climate with more seasons, but at least we have crisp nights and mornings now, which is much appreciated!
i am so excited to have this little one here no matter what the weather outside is! but i think some cooler daytime temps would help my comfort level for sure!
#4 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Yes -- I love autumn. Our leaves are so beautiful, the nights are crisp and the air seems so fresh and clear. And all the harvest time stuff... the apples and pumpkins. I just wish we had a woodstove!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#5 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 PM

AugustineM,
I noticed that you are from Whidbey Island. I have family that lives there and visit occasionally. It is absolutely beautiful there!!! You are so lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Yes -- I love autumn. Our leaves are so beautiful, the nights are crisp and the air seems so fresh and clear. And all the harvest time stuff... the apples and pumpkins. I just wish we had a woodstove!!
#6 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Yes! The night Matteo was born was blustery and noisy- just like me. The next morning was chilly and sunny and the leaves were GORGEOUS... it was so nice to cuddle up on the couch with my new babe! And I LOVE that it's not too hot to snuggle up in a nice cozy wrap when we go out... my first babe was born in June and it was brutally hot at the height of his need for mama cuddles. I LOVE having a fall baby! :

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#7 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM

I loved having most of my pregnancy in summer when I could wear dresses and flip flops, but now that it's getting chillier and I'm bigger I don't have to overdress b/c of my little heater inside my belly, it's perfect for me!

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#8 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 08:01 PM

Oh I want to move. I hate SoCal

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#9 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
On a less sentimental note...it'll be easier to hide our transitional bodies in sweaters and long pants.
:

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 PM

I agree. I am looking forward to nesting inside and snuggling my new lo.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#11 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 PM

I agree! I've had a summer baby and an early spring baby, but this seems like such a good time to be nesting and getting ready for birth! Autumn is already my favorite season, though.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#12 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Thats it, next station DH gets has to be where there is seasons.. Its sunny and warm today, tomorrow its going to be sunny and warm, its a few weeks its going to be sunny and warm.. Its ALWAYS warm here and either sunny or pouring down rain.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 PM

bella, what part of socal are you in? i am in san diego and the weather is so hot right now. it sucks.
#14 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 PM

I visited San Diego when I was 4 months preggo with my son. It was in November and I recall how silly the Christmas decorations looked with no snow. Even though I hate winter around February, I can't imagine living with no seasons!

That said, he was a spring baby (born on Easter and the Pope's birthday) and that felt really right. However, cranky baby needing to be carried all the time stinks in the summer, even though it's easier to nurse when you can sneak out in only a nursing cami! I'm looking forward to nesting in with the baby during the holidays and making it more about family and less about everyone else. We're already skipping Thanksgiving with the whole family and I'm thinking about a more reserved Christmas too!
#15 of 27 Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM

YES, I love it, autumn is my absolute favorite season!! All 3 of my other kids were summer babies, so this is a first for me! I love not sweating to death and swelling like crazy in the heat

I have to say though, I do worry about having a newborn in late fall/early winter from a health perspective. Of course I exclusively breastfeed and almost exclusively babywear, so I know that cuts down on the risk substantially, but I still am kind of a germophobe! I'm not one to sit around at all - I am usually out and about with the baby within days of giving birth, and in the summer I never gave it a second thought. Now I think of all the kids' playgroups and homeschool activities and LLL meetings and everything else I usually do, and I keep envisioning flu bugs and who knows what else floating around....am I just being paranoid?

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#16 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
YES, I love it, autumn is my absolute favorite season!! All 3 of my other kids were summer babies, so this is a first for me! I love not sweating to death and swelling like crazy in the heat

I have to say though, I do worry about having a newborn in late fall/early winter from a health perspective. Of course I exclusively breastfeed and almost exclusively babywear, so I know that cuts down on the risk substantially, but I still am kind of a germophobe! I'm not one to sit around at all - I am usually out and about with the baby within days of giving birth, and in the summer I never gave it a second thought. Now I think of all the kids' playgroups and homeschool activities and LLL meetings and everything else I usually do, and I keep envisioning flu bugs and who knows what else floating around....am I just being paranoid?
I have some of the same worries about germs. My solution? Babywearing. I fully intend to have my LO strapped to me when we're in such germy situations, especially around little kids who go to daycare or public school! Thanksgiving is going to be here, so I intend to have mastered the Moby by then, so that if anyone shows up looking less than healthy, I can have my little papoose. Oh, also, I've been practicing THIS: "Sorry, I am still on my babymoon and just feeling really selfish. I don't want to share my baby right now." Because I have no problem being that selfish either. I'm growing the darn thing, I GET TO DECIDE WHO HOLDS IT AFTER THE BIRTH.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#17 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I have some of the same worries about germs. My solution? Babywearing. I fully intend to have my LO strapped to me when we're in such germy situations
The thing is, you'll be amazed how many people will STILL manage to touch your baby! Well, maybe that won't happen to you - I hope not - but I can tell you, I almost exclusively babywear in the early months and I've had many strangers, let alone family/friends, actually reach into the sling to touch my DCs!! Now THAT takes guts IMO - they were practically touching my breasts!

The worst was the cashier at Wendy's. Some friends and I stopped there for lunch after an LLL meeting when my DS was about 2 weeks old. She was taking my order and then, before I could even react, she reaches over the cash register (having just been handling money, supposedly one of the dirtiest things around, during the lunch-hour rush!!) and strokes his cheek!!!

Anyway, it's gotta be way better than leaving them all exposed in a stroller or something, but still, some people have nerve!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#18 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Germs worry me a little as well. The local culture over here think nothing of trying to pick up total strangers baby. Its almost insulting if you don't allow them too. I remember when I first got out here I went to the commissary and had DD in the cart, I turned to pick something up, turned back and someone had picked up my baby. She was 5 months or so at the time. I almost had a heart attack. I already told DH that either he is or I am going to be carrying the baby all the time. No touching or picking up allowed. Theres only a couple of people on the island that I would allow to hold her.

Im from So. Cal originally. Moved up to the mountains when I was 10 and it would snow like one day a year. I loved it. I remember the first time it snowed I was amazed at it. I was stationed on Camp Pendleton, CA and there is NO seasons there. Its almost like here only not as hot. DH is from New Jersey so hes use to it snowing during the winter.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#19 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 AM
p.s

oh yes! I so agree. Part of it is I'm just cheap and i would hate to have to buy a down coat (we live in ME where winters get cold) for just a couple of mo's. I am also looking forward to having my family come visit during Thanksgiving, by which time the LO should be here.
#20 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Well, we really don't have autumn in Houston. It is a bit cooler which is so wonderful. I am looking forward to having an excuse to stay in a bit more with the colder weather approaching. I think it will make for great bonding time with the new one.

I had DD2 two weeks after I will be delivering this time, and I enjoyed having her for the holidays. I did get a bit of cabin fever, though, being that I didn't want to take her out to much being cold/flu season. I had DD2 in spring, and I thought that was just the perfect time of year. I took her everywhere with me as soon as I could get out and about. Just perfect, perfect weather.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#21 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM

I love fall, and looking forward to having my little one soon. Autumn does seem like the perfect season to bring a baby into the world.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#22 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
bella, what part of socal are you in? i am in san diego and the weather is so hot right now. it sucks.
I'm up in L.A., but I'm originally from Australia so this time of year is spring and then summer over there. I finally get to the northern hemisphere (after 2 years in Hawaii, too lol) and Christmas is still not cold.

We spent last fall in Vancouver and I loved it there :

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#23 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM

I think it is the most perfect time. I feel really intune with the seasons. I love that we're having a harvest time baby. : Then we get to hibernate with the babe all winter.
#24 of 27 Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
The thing is, you'll be amazed how many people will STILL manage to touch your baby! Well, maybe that won't happen to you - I hope not - but I can tell you, I almost exclusively babywear in the early months and I've had many strangers, let alone family/friends, actually reach into the sling to touch my DCs!! Now THAT takes guts IMO - they were practically touching my breasts!

The worst was the cashier at Wendy's. Some friends and I stopped there for lunch after an LLL meeting when my DS was about 2 weeks old. She was taking my order and then, before I could even react, she reaches over the cash register (having just been handling money, supposedly one of the dirtiest things around, during the lunch-hour rush!!) and strokes his cheek!!!

Anyway, it's gotta be way better than leaving them all exposed in a stroller or something, but still, some people have nerve!
: Oh no, nonononononono! Wow! That's even worse than people rubbing the tummy! I think if I have problems I might just have to start stroking cheeks right back, with a "how you like it"! I'd be afraid of someone trying that with me, since I do not especially like to be touched by strangers, and I have kind of hostile hand-smacking reflexes.

Or maybe whipping out a big can of lysol disinfectant and spraying people down with be enough of a deterrent?

#25 of 27 Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Or maybe whipping out a big can of lysol disinfectant and spraying people down with be enough of a deterrent?
I like that idea! LOL

#26 of 27 Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 AM

I had someone reach into my sling at the grocery store when K was about 2 weeks old. I was feeling feral, and I actually hissed through my teeth at her. She backed away slowly, very slowly, keeping eyes on crazy postpartum lady the whole time. Mission accomplished.
#27 of 27 Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM

I so agree with pp about the nerve of some people. we had errands to run on sat. and as it was the nicest day we had had in well over a week, and the last really nice day for awhile-it was in the mid 60's, and its in the low 40's today. We had everybody out, I bundled up Benjamin really well, and was carryinig him, and some guy decided he needed to lecture me for nearly 10 min. on the fact that babies should be kept at home for the first month.

that being said, this is my only fall baby and I am really loving it. I love this time of year, I like the changing colors, and I am a big fan of apples, and pumpkins and baking-and its just to hot to bake in the summer. I also love all the little wintery baby clothes-the knitted hats, and little buntings.

My mother sent me some anti-bacterial hand sanitizing wipes, and I have given my 8 year old the job of handing them out to people who want to hold or touch the baby. folks are less likely to argue with a kid, especially when they say, "The doctor said, everybody has to sanitize their hands before they touch the baby"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page