Prodomal Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I don't know whether or not to call it prodomal. I'm only 35 weeks, but have spent weeks (months really) contracting. Now, that little Charlie is bigger, those contractions are starting to do a little bit here and there. It may actually be preterm labor as a more appropriate name, but my doctor will no longer to anything to stop real labor were it to start.

Every night, especially the really tired nights, I start up with contractions. Quite often they are 6 to 10 minutes apart, and last from 8 or so until midnight, or even 2am. Sometimes they even wake me up.

I've tried everything except the wine (drinking while pregnant freaks DH out) to get them to stop. Nothing stops them except sleep, and sometimes they are still there in the morning (not the really ouchie ones, just the annoying ones).

So how are others coping with this? I think I've read that there are several of us dealing with this frustrating problem. Going bonkers yet?

We can at least commiserate, even if we can't do anything else about it!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM

I've been through this with all of my pregnancies. It was called PTL during my last pregnancy, because it was changing my cervix. Same thing is happening this time, but I'm just accepting the fact that my body needs a lot of time to prepare for labor and I'm dealing with it. It's annoying, and the contractions are painful, about 6 minutes apart, 24 hours a day. I'm not worried, though...I think I'll make it about 2 more weeks, but judging by my past pregnancies, it may be longer. I'm not really mentioning it to the doctors this time, because it became this huge ordeal with DD's pregnancy and I don't want that this time. My midwife knows and is cool with it. Just try to rest as much as you can. I know that's not really possible, but hang in there.
#3 of 25 Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 PM

Me too ladies. For about a week. Its frustrating and tiring. Mine changes my cervix slightly (to 2 cm) but thats about it. My cervix is still long.

If I was going to have an alcoholic beverage, it would be a caesar and we don't have any of the necessary ingredients, so water it continues to be!
#4 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 AM

This is so me for the last week. My first night was Friday the 17th. I thought sweet a few more days and i will have a baby. WRONG!!!. The second night was Wednesday the 22nd, i got the 23rd off and have had it every night since then. We have even had the MW over thinking it might be it, but after hours of contractions i was at a 1 cm and 75-80% effaced. I am tired and emotionally ready for this little baby to come.

I have chosen the alcohol a few nights at the insistence of the MW. but we also used it during our bouts of preterm labor. from 27-37 weeks we had to stop contractions a few times. After being on bed rest for those 10 weeks and now with this prodromal labor i am DONE!!! I am trying to stay upbeat and i either try and take a nap or a bath when the contrax get a little more difficult to deal with, but i hope every time they get that way they will actually bring me my baby (today)
#5 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 AM

ditto ditto This is my third time going through this! I wish my body could just start labor and give me a baby in a day or three! But no, I have to have 3+ weeks of this prodromal labor!

I started drinking RRL tea about a week ago and though the contractions continue and give me some uncomfortable pressure sometimes, they are less painful now. Makes me feel like I can tollerate this longer....

I recommend the RRL!
#6 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 AM

Me too, I am so tired and fed up. Yesterday I thought 'this is it' and everything faded away.

However, my cervix is barely there anymore and I am now around 3 cm, so who knows, maybe I will pop soon. I hope so, due on Friday!
#7 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM

coyotemist, I hear ya!

Yesterday, I had cxs 2-4 minutes apart for about 40 minutes, had cramping all the night before and I thought, hmm, maybe this is it. NOPE! I laid down and they went away. I have spent months contracting as well. I am so surprised that I have not had this baby yet. Especially with being so dilated and effaced.

Has anyone else had any burning in cervix/vagina? Like the ring of fire(for those who have birthed already), except less in intense? I am not worried about it, I am sure it is the baby moving down, AGAIN.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#8 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I'm someone who is VERY sensitive to RRL tea. Even when I'm not pregnant, it gives me cramps, and when I am pregnant, it encourages prodomal contractions. I've never taken it when I was really ripe, so I dont' know how that would be, it might actually put me into labor. So that's a no-go. I do drink Sleepytime or comfrey infusions, or nettle infusions. Things that are calming and nourishing.

Snowgirl-I've had the burning when going number 2. Otherwise, I don't just get it. I have been getting shockwaves down my cervix tho. Ouchie.

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#9 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM

This is me to a tee!!! They started Sat night, waking me up, and continued all day Sun. My midwife stopped by and checked me yesterday and I had changed from closed and firm to mush and 2 cm and 70% effaced. Farther than I ever made it with my first one. But they are so annoying, and dp does not help at all. She just keeps pestering me, "Are we having baby today?", "Still having contractions?", that is worse than the dang contactions. Here we are monday morning at least last night I got a nice three hour chunk of sleep, then restless sleep till 5 am, and now they are back and about every 12-15 minutes. I am sure that mine has to do with the fact that the baby is not sitting on the cervix well. It has it's hand up over its head, and the midwife could feel that when she checked me, so until it moves its hand I think that we are going to be stuck with this on and off labor stuff. Although it is fustrating, at least I can be reassured that my body might decide to birth on its own after all. I hope the rest of you are able to get some relief soon.
#10 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM

haha, i just saw this thread, i posted about my prodromal contractions in a new thread yesterday! so much for having any brain cells left!

i am totally in this boat right now, at least i am 38 weeks so i know that it would be fine to have the baby right now, but in some ways i am so not ready.
maybe thats whats holding up this whole process, i think i need to clear my energy and get mentally ready to have this baby.

ugghh.... i am so exhausted, i haven't slept since my nap yesterday at 4 and i am sore and anxious.

the worst part is that i can still reach to check myself so of course i am doing the daily check to see if anything has changed and it hasnt.
i am still about 60% 1-2cm and soft.

FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!
#11 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 AM

I am 39 weeks today and sooooo ready to have this baby! I've been drinking 3-4 strong cups of RRL tea every day since about 34 weeks and since this is my first, I don't know if it's made any difference. But I've been having regular, strong BH contractions since the second trimester and in the last month or so they've actually gotten lower and become more like menstrual cramps. Now I get long, strong contractions every time I urinate and almost every morning, but nothing is happening.

My cervix has been mushy and soft for weeks, so I don't know that I'm changing at all in that regard. My due date is one week away and nothing is happening or even feels like it's happening. Are there any other signs that my baby will be arriving soon? I've noticed no mucus plug loss, no bloody show, nothing...I feel so stalled.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#12 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Okay so you prodromal ladies know exactly how i am feeling. Have you all been evaualting everything for a sign of true labor? like oh softer BM maybe it coming? waking up at night, oh was that a contrax? nausea....???

somebody tell me i am not the only one.
#13 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selena_ski View Post
Okay so you prodromal ladies know exactly how i am feeling. Have you all been evaualting everything for a sign of true labor? like oh softer BM maybe it coming? waking up at night, oh was that a contrax? nausea....???

Oh your not the only one! I'm so scared I'll go into labor before 37 weeks and I'll probably go past my due date. I'm was really, really squishy and about a 2 at my 34 week appointment. I have no idea where I am now and I'm trying really hard not to think about it. Even though it would be really nice to start labor at a 4 or 5 or so. I can dream, right?

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#14 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post
Oh your not the only one! I'm so scared I'll go into labor before 37 weeks and I'll probably go past my due date. I'm was really, really squishy and about a 2 at my 34 week appointment. I have no idea where I am now and I'm trying really hard not to think about it. Even though it would be really nice to start labor at a 4 or 5 or so. I can dream, right?
I have started labor at 4 or 5 with both of my past pregnancies, so I'm assuming the same will happen this time. I contract regularly for weeks/months to get me to that point, then active labor comes out of nowhere!
#15 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

You are not the only one! Every time I get slightly queasy, gassy, or have a loose BM (sorry for the TMI), I torture myself with thoughts that this could be it! But it hasn't been so far...

Trusting my body to give me my son when its good and ready is one of the hardest things I've ever done, especially as I get more and more uncomfortable with each passing day. Oh well--at least the heartburn is gone.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#16 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
I have started labor at 4 or 5 with both of my past pregnancies, so I'm assuming the same will happen this time. I contract regularly for weeks/months to get me to that point, then active labor comes out of nowhere!
My first was a c/s and my second was induced so this is my first "wait for labor" baby so.....
Out of Nowhere!?! Eeeek!

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#17 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
Oh well--at least the heartburn is gone.
LUCKY!!, my baby has dropped, but the continual acid reflux has not gotten better, and may even be worse.
#18 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
LUCKY!!, my baby has dropped, but the continual acid reflux has not gotten better, and may even be worse.
Yep, me too. So tired of heartburn.

Today I'm really really crampy. Not sure why, but oh, it feels like a bad period. I had this mildly after the exam on Friday, but not this bad...

#19 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM

ok the contrax are starting up again today, (i usually make it to around 4 or 5 before they start) and i have been have very soft BMs since middle of the night and now i am throwing up. God, just let it be today. I feel yucky and tired and ready.
#20 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Selena, it DEFINETLY sounds like you are on the CUSP of labor.
#21 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Go Selena go! I love reading those birth announcements!

#22 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 PM

update, contrax continue even after a nap, they are slowly increasing in intensity and i am having a hard time getting comfortable. this is different from the other contrax that come sudden and strong. I am not going to time them yet, because then i focus on them too much. staying hopeful.
#23 of 25 Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Selena- Hopefully this is it for you!! Sending you some labor vibes..

With DD I had NO prodomal labor.. No contractions that I remember at all until I went into labor. I remember the exact minute I went into labor because it was the first contraction I felt. With this one I had contractions (very light, more annoying than painful) off and on all night last night. It made me so sick to my stomach though so this morning I don't want to do anything but sit around. This baby has actually dropped as well, its gotten impossible to sit with my legs fully closed, with DD she didn't drop until I had been in labor for 10 hours.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#24 of 25 Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Well I ended up having Some wine and trying to sleep. still having soft BMs & more vomiting. I am still having contrax but after a night of horrible sleep I am not sure I want it to be today anyways. I tossed and turned all night and ended op taking 2 baths throughout the night.
#25 of 25 Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Selena, hoping the misery stops or real labor starts!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page